Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Ride quality on the CTS-V issue with wandering rear....

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 11:39 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride quality on the CTS-V issue with wandering rear....

Ok, we have another shop car....Is the suspesion on this thing weired or am I not use to it. When driving on any road other than a perfect one it seems like the rear end floats side to side. Its really hard to say. Is the suspension super sensitive?? Our C5 does not wander like this.... Think its anlignment issue? Any know what I mean? I see my head bobbing side to side as i ride down roads that seem to be very good. Maybe its me but it just seems that it should nto be worste the the Vette!
Any help would be great.....

Dan

Last edited by DynotuneN2O; 04-05-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Here in Alaska there are very slight depressions or grooves from years of cars...I notice the V tends to "feel" like the rear is floating as it tracks in and out of these grooves. If the tires were 10-15% wider lilke the vettes it may "span" the groove instead of track in them... make sense?

Last edited by CTSVSL65AMG; 04-05-2006 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

well, if your still on the runflats, and they are worn, even slightly, you have found you problem.

I had the same issue and found that when i replaced the runflats, tha swaying yo mentioned disappeared. Im not sure if it is becuz of the stiffer sidewall, uneven wear characteristic of the runflats or both, but that is what got rid it. Nothing else was change expect for the tires which, IMO, is a MUST for anyone with this car.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Teching In

It happens on worn out non-run flats also. New tires and problem is resolved.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ahhhhhh I have Pzero's on the Vette.....Does not do it. I think the cts has the run flats....... they are goodyear supercar tires? I dont think I saw anything on the tire that said runflat.....Does this sound correct? Ill take a better look at the tires.....
Any other recommendation? I did drive it on a long trip yesterday. On the highway it seems less noticable....Around town it is un bareable!! Every little depression i hit with one tire makes the rear feel very loose side to side and this is simply going 25 mph in a stright line!

Still think its the run flats? The tires only have 4K miles and still look very good...
Old 04-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Banned

If the car feels like it's swimming around,like a truck with too much weight in the bed,somethings broke.If its skipping around maybe you have the fg2 shocks which are a harsh ride on potholes.Either way I have never heard this condition described as you have.And definately have the alignment checked first.Maybe your rear cradle is so loose that it's moving around.Hope not
Old 04-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Launching!

Check rear wheel alignment!! I found that at the top end of the 1/4 mile I felt some wandering in the back of the car.Speed was around 118 mph. I had a 4 wheel alignment and problem is solved.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:30 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ive been gone for a few days.....Back now!
Well, i seem to feel it the most when going slow around 20-35 mph
Also can feel it on the highway, not as noticable...
Definatly is coming from the back. Its almost like when I hit the slightest little depression then car over reacts. It seems to handle just fine in corners..

Guess ill start with an alignment and rule that out.... Ill keep you all posted.

Thanks!

Dan
Old 04-18-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Addict

i drove an 06' with the fg2 shock package and i must say, it is a must... no wandering that i found of and very planted....

Now, i have the exact condition and im gonna check my alignment to see where it is at.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DynotuneN2O
Ive been gone for a few days.....Back now!
Well, i seem to feel it the most when going slow around 20-35 mph
Also can feel it on the highway, not as noticable...
Definatly is coming from the back. Its almost like when I hit the slightest little depression then car over reacts. It seems to handle just fine in corners..

Guess ill start with an alignment and rule that out.... Ill keep you all posted.

Thanks!

Dan
I have this exact same probelm with my V. It feels like it wanders all over the road, and I have four brand new Michelins on it and had a 4 wheel alignment done. No suspension is broken that the dealership tells me about. If you figure out what's wrong, please post, because it is OBNOXIOUS how it just doesn't want to track straight. I know exactly what you are talking about.

Ben
Old 04-19-2006, 01:51 AM
TECH Addict

any of you guys running the FG2 shock package get any wandering?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I threw it up on the lift and checked everything out, nope spotless everywhere....
I must say that im getting use to it. The part that stinks is when I get into another car it feels so much better! Very wierd. My tire/aligment guy said the EMT tires stink. He did not feel that an aligmnet would cause this at low speeds. Was not sure if the tire would do that. I really think hope its the tires but may end up being the shocks....Very funky.
What I notice is that at very slow speeds (35) you notice every dip in the road. dont get me wrong the car handles amazing! WOW, today I shocked myself at how fast I could take my favorite offramp. Not as good as the vetter but better than my miata LOL.

Someone has to have fixed this problem. No skipping or hoping on rough roads...seems fine....
Old 04-28-2006, 10:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Well im use to it now....LOL Honest.....Does not seem to bother me anymore.
Very wierd.....Sad part is that When I drive my zo6 the V feels slow....
Thought I could live without the Z but if i have to chosse the V is gonna get tossed.... The Z is just so darn fast and may I add that I think it may ride better than the V

Dan

Quick Reply: Ride quality on the CTS-V issue with wandering rear....