Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Underdrive Pulleys for '05 CTS-V

Old 06-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Underdrive Pulleys for '05 CTS-V

Okay so I'm not a rookie to LS1tech but I just like to get the advice of those who know. I've have my CTS-V since December and I'm slowly making some mods. The '05 CTS-V is essentially the old Z06 engine so I don't see why an ASP underdrive pulley made for the Vette will not work on the '05 Vee?

So questions:

Has anyone done this mod to a Vee?

Are there any issues with this that I should be aware of?

Why don't vendors such as LMPerformance and TByrne, etc. sell the pulleys on there sites and advertise them for the CTS-V as well?

Thanks for your help!
Wingsfan4ever

2000 Camaro SS/ SLP (Too many mods to name)
2005 Cadillac CTS-V (Magnaflow catback, Granatelli MAF, Volant CAI)
Old 06-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

Im kinda new to the whole vette thing. But I have a question to you about the MAF that you put in. Do you see or feel anything or was it a waste of money? The other thing is you might get a better response posting on www.cadillacforums.com. Most of the members there are the memebers here but, they spend more time over there.

Gene
Old 06-13-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd like to know that answer also, as I'm going to eventually run out of bolt-on's.

Also for the MAF questions: I have an '05, and it was my impression that we have an 85mm MAF, just like the C5Z. Is there any benefit going to a grannetelli, or SLP MAF?

-Chris
Old 06-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Well, I've got to tell you both. I installed my Volant CAI and the Granatelli at the same time so I can't rightly pinpoint which mod gave me the most umph. To be totally honest I am having some issues with the Granatelli right now. The Granatelli is periodically kicking on my check engine light. When I check the code it says that the engine is running lean. Not so good for a lean running engine to begin with.

Granatelli is standing by to help but their solution is to send it back and check the unit for proper calibration. I'm going to have to get off my duff and pull it out of the V to send back to Granatelli. I'm running the Granatelli with cold air tuning for your info.

The Granatelli is identical in size to the stock one on the V. There is no honeycomb screen attached to it which give me the impression of less flow restriction. The difference would be the calibration. And as I mentioned I'm having trouble right now.

As far as Cadillac forms goes. I planned to go to that site but they won't allow email addresses from free services such as hotmail and yahoo so I have to give in and give up my private email. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'm glad there are quality users on LS1Tech.

Kev
Old 06-13-2007, 11:25 PM
9 Second Club

Well - just my .02. I have a Vette ASP underdrive pulley on my CTS-V. Works fine. Takes a different belt though.

You can pull the screen out of the stock MAF to increase flow. Just be very careful not to disturb the element inside. I just took a small screw driver and pulled it out from behind. As I understand it, it is an 85mm MAF, so I can't think of any advantage to an aftermarket one.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MCasano1
Well - just my .02. I have a Vette ASP underdrive pulley on my CTS-V. Works fine. Takes a different belt though.

You can pull the screen out of the stock MAF to increase flow. Just be very careful not to disturb the element inside. I just took a small screw driver and pulled it out from behind. As I understand it, it is an 85mm MAF, so I can't think of any advantage to an aftermarket one.
MCasano,

Which belts did you end up using? I'm trying to buy some right now, for my ASP 10% UD Balancer.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 03-12-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by trukk
MCasano,

Which belts did you end up using? I'm trying to buy some right now, for my ASP 10% UD Balancer.

Thanks,

Chris
Chris i emailed you the link, did you get it. Also we can do SD tune if you like and get rid of the Mass Air flow sensor.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the difference in the percentages. UD @ 10% vs UD @ 25% (the 25% seems more commonly used)
Old 03-12-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

About 15% diff. lol
Old 03-12-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jerrad
About 15% diff. lol
HAHA.

I just double checked mine, and I actually have a 25% UD.

Here's a pic, where you can see how the main drive is much smaller than the AC drive. If I was a betting man I'd say 25% smaller

-Chris
Old 03-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Launching!

with the more than normal battery problems and high parasitic loads on the V, is it really smart to slow the alternator?
Old 03-14-2008, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NoRice
with the more than normal battery problems and high parasitic loads on the V, is it really smart to slow the alternator?
I'm runnnig no other accessories, aside from a radar detector and phone charger. I don't think it will be a problem. I also commute with this as a DD, riding 40 miles each way each day between 2 and 3k rpms, I think I'll be fine.

I most interested to see if this will cause any issues at the road course (water pump running slower).

I will let everyone know if there is an issue though.

-Chris
Old 04-17-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

So did you get the pulley installed? Any problems with overheating or with charging?
Old 04-18-2008, 06:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Guys with fbody cars use underdrive pulleys all the time. Only people to report a problem are those who run big stereos and that's what the 10% underdrive setup is for. Everyone else should use the 25% one.

The MAF is proven to be a negligible gain. Can it increase flow? Yes, but it can also cause computer problems and for the money there are better things like a pulley or a ported & polished throttle body.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So did you get the pulley installed? Any problems with overheating or with charging?
No issues so far.

BTW, here is the accessory belt I used with the 25% Underdrive pulley:

Fits fine., no issues with jumping yet.

-Chris
Old 04-18-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks a ton for the info. Did you notice any gain? Also, who did you buy through?
Thanks
Jerrad

Last edited by jerrad; 04-18-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks a ton for the info. Did you notice any gain? Also, who did you buy through?
Thanks
Jerrad
Jerrad,

I did it the same time as my cam install (if you are going to do it that's the time). I definately noticed a difference . I'll have dyno & final tune numbers for my car nex week-ish.

I think I bought it through Texas Speed, or Thunder Raacing.

-Chris
Old 04-19-2008, 03:42 AM
Staging Lane

Vengeance racing is doing a H/C/I package on mine the week of May 7th to the 9th and they are installing the pully on mine. It is the same as the corvette pully.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Underdrive Alternative

Another alternative is to replace the LS6 P/S pulley with the larger P/S pulley from an LS7 Corvette. It's another one of the GM engineer's tricks to get the 505 hp out of the LS7 in it's mild current configuration, without sacrificing alternator output of coolant circulation.

Attention must be paid to clearances around the pulley and again, a larger belt must be used.

It's also both easier to install and lighter on the billfold.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the tip scatillac. Any pics of the ls7 installed?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Underdrive Pulleys for '05 CTS-V