Cadillac CTS-V 2009-2015 (Gen 2) Welcome to a whole other level of overkill

2013 CTS V possible trans issue (A6)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 CTS V possible trans issue (A6)

Can't find much on the sound I am hearing so hopefully someone here can enlighten me!!!

13 CTS V (A6) stock 35k miles. The sound I'm hearing that seems to be coming from underneath the car right under the driver and passenger is very hard to explain so bare with me. Under very light acceleration and deceleration (parking lot speed or stopping at a red light) I hear what sounds like something failing to engage or disengage properly. It sounds almost like sand paper but with a metallic sound. Cruising at 5-10mph coming to a stop almost right before the car stops rolling I hear a ssssssssskt, I can also replicate the sound by cruising through a lot 5-10mph... give a little gas (sssssskt) let out (sssskt). The reason I'm worried is because I'm about to dump 10k worth of mods into the car and trying to figure this out before it becomes a huge issue if at all. This morning it made a new one which is the same thing I just described but it hung up a lot longer than it usually does before it finally engaged I guess you would say. It happened while pulling up to a stop sign. I don't have much experience with a automatic car this is my first one.

There are no other known issues it drives great, pulls great, shifts well.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:43 AM
Staging Lane

Its hard to tell from what your describing what exactly your experiencing.
Has the rear end ever been replaced in the car? It is very common on these cars, and mine has had 3. 2 before I bought it. I think it made a soft growling noise that I barely heard at low speeds.

Could be the driveshaft carrier bearing.

Also, you need to add 1 quart of tranny fluid to the trans as they are slightly underfilled from the factory. The same goes for the rear end as they come underfilled.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:27 AM

I will check the fluids and as far as I know it had no rear ends replaced. The carfax didn't show it if it did.

I really don't think it's the diff but could be possible. The noise isn't constant and it's very brief. For instance it happens almost every time switching from reverse to drive or from park to drive or reverse. Basically any movement the spins the driveshaft in either an opposite direction or going from applying power to coasting with your foot off the gas will also cause it and it only last about 1 second.

I'm going to check the diff and trans fluid now.

Quick Reply: 2013 CTS V possible trans issue (A6)