Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

word of advice! custom cts-v shifters..

Old 01-25-2009, 04:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default word of advice! custom cts-v shifters..

well guys i decided i would work with the stock shifter and try to make my own short throw shifter before buying one. word of advice dont do it! i have done it before on mustangs no problem! the v shifters are 2 peice stock from factory to reduce the shifter shakin or something.

what i did and for no one to try....

i started by pulling it all apart down the where it was loose shifter with linkage holding it together....

i cut it off as close to the bottom as possible to work with....that is when i found out it is not hollow and is a shifter on a shifter

no biggey so i it all out to make it flat....

then i stook the shifter lever i had left that was cut out and took out 2 inchs of metal....which by the way if this would have worked was entirly 2 much

lined it back up in the car an mig welded the newly designed shifter back on top of the flatened lower part of shifter....

well in the middle of welding the rubber bushing on the lower side of shifter that i was not aware of caught on fire!!!!

fire what put out and finished welding...

went to put it in gear and shifter pulled off....lucky it was still super hot and put it back on the bushin an threw water on it to cool it and prayed it would stick back

sure enough got it back on and stuck on good....but the bushing we melted now make is sloppy and loose

put everything back on and shifter **** and boot an all back on... looked great and super lower shifter and other then loose bushing was pretty nice

started car up and went for reverse.....couldnt hit it cause shifter **** hit center console!!!

come to find out 2 4 6 gear where the only ones i could hit with new lower stance....went to take the shifter **** off and shifter and all know comes out with it when i do so!!!!

so i just bought the b&m shifter for sale by nbmss under thread name "help" cause i have officaly fucked my shifter up! it is now my only ride and luckly is just good enough to get by and drive around but no racen cause if i got for third gear real hard one good time my shifter pops off! so word of advice to all those who thought the would try it also! DONT! just spend the money and buy a aftermarket one from someone or somewhere and keep the stock one laying around!

took pics on my phone and will see bout posting them up if anyone wants to see and dont know what i am talking about
Old 01-25-2009, 05:43 AM
TECH Regular

id like to see this!
Old 01-25-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

You need to call Luke @ Lindsay Cadillac 571-481-2294 for upgraded bushings.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Launching!

I have lopped off 2" from stock on my previous V. Picked up another V but and used a C5 shifter stalk. I replaced the from bushing with some nylon ones from HomeDepot and did orginally replace the the flutted rubber pair at the base with rubber but they split. Now is the base rubber is gone and crimped.

It is very precise and slightly better than my friends 911tt shifter.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-v-less-3.html

Last edited by Norm '88 GT; 01-25-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by y2kfrc
id like to see this!
lol cant figure out how to get pics sent from phone to comp. dont got a card to do it with on this new phone....

so new bushings up front by trans would help with the looseness i am feeling in the shifter while it is in gear and all?
Old 01-25-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Norm '88 GT
I have lopped off 2" from stock on my previous V. Picked up another V but and used a C5 shifter stalk. I replaced the from bushing with some nylon ones from HomeDepot and did orginally replace the the flutted rubber pair at the base with rubber but they split. Now is the base rubber is gone and crimped.

do u have a part number on bushing or size that way i dont have to take mine out and match them? i can go get them and do it all at house without findin a ride. thanks! also norm i sent u a pm

Last edited by archerandsons; 01-25-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Semi hijacking here - I have noticed my shifter sucks 5 times as bad when it gets cold (less than 20 degrees). Is it the p.o.s shifter or do I have a separate problem lurking? Other than the shifter I am happy!
Old 01-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by archerandsons
do u have a part number on bushing or size that way i dont have to take mine out and match them? i can go get them and do it all at house without findin a ride. thanks! also norm i sent u a pm
HomeDepot electrical section.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pcf_mark
Semi hijacking here - I have noticed my shifter sucks 5 times as bad when it gets cold (less than 20 degrees). Is it the p.o.s shifter or do I have a separate problem lurking? Other than the shifter I am happy!
Is it the shifter being sloppy or is it a trans issue?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Katech Shifter. Works like a charm - if you figure up the manhours it takes to mod the one you have - then multiply that by how valuable your time is (ie hours off of your life you will never get back, and the headache that goes along with it) then the self-shifter-mod will cost more than a Katech unit...just my $0.02 - but there again, i barely have time to wipe my a$$ so every minute counts for me!

either way the stock shifter SUCKS!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Norm '88 GT

exactly how many bushings are involved in the cts-v shifteR? are the easy to replace?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: word of advice! custom cts-v shifters..