Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Prospective Owner in DFW

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Prospective Owner in DFW

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a CTS-V and am test driving one later this week. It's a 2006 Black/Black up in Plano for $23K. It's not a CPO because of the mileage, which is 61K. Looking at NADA, etc. it seems to be inline with clean retail price, but wanted to get ya'll's thoughts. Even if I like the car I'm not going to pay $23K unless it's OTD and even then it's iffy. Any opinions or suggestions on what to look out for are appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 05-06-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like any car check the seat bolts for rust, the pedals on these cars all seem to rust up a bit for whatever reason, and a clunk in the drivetrain...if it clunks it's a bad bushing on the diff...it's a fairly cheap fix but it could help you drive the price down...you can check the rear C pillar covers to see if they're loose at all, again another easy fix with some washers, but they tend to break off if you drive high speed with the back windows down...check the rims for scratches too, tire shops tend to gouge them due to the run-flat tires....otherwise, check it over like a normal car...it sounds like a good deal, y'know except for being the slow color

also pay attention when you shut it down, this car does rumble a bit when you shut it down, but if it's excessive the motor mounts could be bad....basically if it sounds like it's dieseling the mounts are bad.

forgot one more thing, look around the sun roof for creases, usually a sign it's been tracked.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Launching!

Another DFW V....excellent...
I live in Allen
2004 black CTSV 68k,
some mods: sway bars, B&M, Mich PS2, W4M, xpipe, K&N CAI
are you planning to bring to open track?

jerrycecco@tx.rr.com
Old 05-06-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Nikon said it well. A couple more things I would add is check the trans and see if it goes into reverse easy. Some times R is a pain. Look at the radio ***** and if they're peeling have the dealer replace. Make sure the CD player works(adanieljohnson). Make sure the car has the Nav disc in the top slot.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think the reverse issue is just the crap stock shifter with too much play...if you find it hard to get into first after coming to a stop, don't be alarmed, it's just typical t56...double clutch or pop it in second first and it'll slide right in.

thought of something else, check the info panel on the dash...where it shows, oil pres. tire pres., etc... there will be a G meter...it can be cleared, but if it hasn't been cleared could be a good indication of previous owners driving habits.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:29 AM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

For the reverse issue. I put it in fifth before reverse. Works excellent for my tranny. Although... check your reverse lockout solenoid. Mine is intermittent. I took a trip to OKC from Waco and down shifting to fifth on a pass has put me in R grinding at least half the time. I have gotten pretty weary about shifting to fifth now since it this happened.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nikon
I think the reverse issue is just the crap stock shifter with too much play...if you find it hard to get into first after coming to a stop, don't be alarmed, it's just typical t56...double clutch or pop it in second first and it'll slide right in.
Mine happened after the katech install too. Before I'd have to lift the clutch then do it again and it would work everytime. The dealer put a new trans in for that issue though.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

I have experience with T56's from my f-body days so I don't think that will be an issue. Does the Caddy come with skip shift as well? Is the LS2 the same one in the Vette's for the most part? Friend has a stock bottom end motor he beats on regularly and he has been very impressed with it. Any issues related to the revised rear diff the CTSV got in 2006? Any motor related issues with common leaks?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Yes they have Cags. You can get the eliminator for like 15 bux or you can get a tune that will disable it too.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ulakovic22
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a CTS-V and am test driving one later this week. It's a 2006 Black/Black up in Plano for $23K. It's not a CPO because of the mileage, which is 61K. Looking at NADA, etc. it seems to be inline with clean retail price, but wanted to get ya'll's thoughts. Even if I like the car I'm not going to pay $23K unless it's OTD and even then it's iffy. Any opinions or suggestions on what to look out for are appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony

I test drove the same car up at Sewell! They will not nagotiate on the price what so ever and pretty much laughed me out of the office! 20 minutes later I bought a 05 V w/ 40k miles for 19K plus all the fees which topped the purchase at 22K. Its a nice car but for 23K you should look for something with less mileage! I got my V for thousands less then what the local dealerships are asking becuase I went thru a dealership in another state and just paid to have the car shipped($485 dollars). You better believe that I called Kelly(sewell dealer) back and let her know that I just purchased a car with 20k less miles for 4K less then they were asking for and all I had to do was pay $485 dollars to do it!!! They really pissed me off so be carefull with Sewell
Old 05-06-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah Kelly is the same lady that called me back about the car. You and I are on the same wave length. Unless it's less than 23K out the door I'm not interested, I'm surprised that she won't move at all, esp. when they have 2 others with less mileage for the same price. Did you drive the Silver one as well? I think she was talking about you when she was telling me how great the 2006 model was.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Thanks,
Anthony

-------------------
Get VIN# the call another dealer service department.
They should be able to tell you all GM (nation wide) service that was done
and you'll know where the car came from...

--Jerry
Old 05-06-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah Kelly is the same lady that called me back about the car. You and I are on the same wave length. Unless it's less than 23K out the door I'm not interested, I'm surprised that she won't move at all, esp. when they have 2 others with less mileage for the same price. Did you drive the Silver one as well? I think she was talking about you when she was telling me how great the 2006 model was.

Ya, they had a 2005 w/ 43K miles that I drove! They both drive nice but I would suggest looking at this site! You can also have the car shipped if you like the price and the dealership WILL do EVERYTHING over the phone/fax!!! I speak from experiance...

http://autotrader.autos.msn.com/fyc/...ype=mileageASC
Old 05-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Banned

06-07 have real strut tower braces too!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TopV
06-07 have real strut tower braces too!
Didnt we already talk about this? Remember? the coathanger is used to get our keys out!!!!!! jeez louis....
Old 05-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

Drive up to the dealership in your new ride and mock em.....better yet ask for the top dawg and tell him your little people made you miss a sell....in these hard times they need to know that ripping your head off is not an option. I tried to buy an 05 Cadillac XLR from some dealership in Grapevine.....they wouldnt budge.....flew to Houston that Saturday and picked up the same exact car with 2k miles more for $4000.00 less! I did drive it back up and make mockery of Zach the sales idiot and his dumbass manager.....FUN
Old 05-06-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, well doesn't look like I'm going to be a proud V owner anytime soon. I asked for service records of the car because I didn't want to pay a premium for a used car from a dealer just to turnaround and spend $$ to service the 40K and 50K scheduled maintenance. She calls me back and tells me that the car sold last night. Probably is the truth, but the timing makes me chuckle. If anyone knows of a 2006+ Black V, let me know.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Ok, well doesn't look like I'm going to be a proud V owner anytime soon. I asked for service records of the car because I didn't want to pay a premium for a used car from a dealer just to turnaround and spend $$ to service the 40K and 50K scheduled maintenance. She calls me back and tells me that the car sold last night. Probably is the truth, but the timing makes me chuckle. If anyone knows of a 2006+ Black V, let me know.
I called about it today and It is sold.

Ima keep track of these vehicles and see how long they sit on there lot since they wont Lower there price. I talked to some guy named Jay I believe.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Default Try this

I dont know if your dead set on that car but have you considered a Cadillac XLR or XLR-V? You rarely see em on the road, it was the test bed for the new C6 Vette lineup so it has EVERYTHING including flared out fenders which makes it look mean, push button start, cruise control that takes over if you run up on another car, NAV, backup radar, bunch o other ****, its a hard top convertible and it still has a V8 but is not too aftermarket friendly for I beleive they only made around 3700 world wide. Very unique and if you want someone to say something about how nice your car is....this is the car. Its an attention *****. The ride....well its all about quite and smooth. Luxury import owners just stare.
Just my 02. If your in the DFW area I would gladly let you drive mine cuz you wont want the CTS-V after driving this thing.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j4SrHUsflc
heres 1 of 3699...a bunch of walking dead. geezus christmas!
the xlr-v can't hang with mikenice's cts-v-t !!!!!
turbo beats s/c every time.

lol

Quick Reply: Prospective Owner in DFW