Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Purchasing DMH cutouts, where to install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing DMH cutouts, where to install?

Topic says it all, I have it narrowed down to 2 possibilities, on the stock headers before the cats, or just after the stock cats. The only downfall of going before the cats would be complicating the install of future after market headers. I do not plan to EVER put a cat back on the car, or remove the cats.

I would really like to see a comparison of before and after cats on the stock headers if anyone has some video
Old 05-11-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

After market headers will replace the stock cats with an aftermarket set. For a little more power put them before.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jerrad
After market headers will replace the stock cats with an aftermarket set. For a little more power put them before.
Well cutouts before the cats be NEARLY as effective as a full exhaust setup when open?
Old 05-11-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

If the gas is going out beofre the cats it's only travelling 2 ft or so. If you have a great flowing 3 inch exhaust it still has to travel the length of the car. A cutout 2 feet from the head will out flow the 3 inch. It'll be loud as F though.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Teching In

If the gas is going out beofre the cats it's only travelling 2 ft or so. If you have a great flowing 3 inch exhaust it still has to travel the length of the car. A cutout 2 feet from the head will out flow the 3 inch. It'll be loud as F though.
I'm hoping to be able to scare people, so thats a bonus, and with an electric cutout I can close it from the comfort of the cabin

I had a GSX with a 57 trim turbo and a dumped wastegate, you should have seen people jump when that thing hit full boost. Hoping for the same effect here, even if I only gain 5hp

Im hoping to avoid that always annoying, horrid sounding, off-throttle rasp though
Old 05-11-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

There are some clips of V's with headers and cut outs on youtube I think. Do some searching and you'll find something.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Teching In

There are some clips of V's with headers and cut outs on youtube I think. Do some searching and you'll find something.
I saw most of them, none of the specified if the cutouts were before or after the cats, and i have stock headers currently.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TurboCtsV1
imo i would forgo the cutouts at this stage in the game and get headers 1st, as the stock maifolds for a n/a car arent up to par for making power and you wont make any gains, just noise. why do it twice?
Cutouts pre-cat won't make any power? I find that hard to believe. I was planning on doing cutouts first as I'm a bit tight on cash and I can get cutouts purchased and installed for only $500, as opposed to headers which will run about $1000 + install.

Can't do it myself as I live in an apartment building
Old 05-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

i've got my DMH's after the cats as shown below... you wont be able to avoid the decel rasp though... even after the cats they are ridiculously loud... trust me...
btw, the cord in the 2nd photo is for my iPod hookup... nothin to do with wiring for the switch which works great

Old 05-13-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

our stock cats are hi-flo as is and power starts at the head not after the cats.
if you want some noise or to wake up your cars sound try the jegs magnaflo x-pipe
in place of stock reonator for 98.00 and remove/delete the stock mufflers with straight pipe and add some tips. you can get it all done for under 400 and with the money saved
get some V// floor matts or other kool v trinket of your choice.
No, the cats are the #1 restrictor in our stock exhaust. People have shown big gains by just replacing our sock cats with a set of RT high flows.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Thanks of the input natedog, have you ever dyno'ed with them open vs closed?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

idk much, but i do know what love is jennay.

oh btw, what's "big gains" ?
There are some posts on the other forum saying they got anywhere from 7-15 hp from the cats pre-tune.

Quick Reply: Purchasing DMH cutouts, where to install?