Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Wind/whistle noise and pulley noise... Help??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wind/whistle noise and pulley noise... Help??

Just wanted to see if anyone else experiences this?

When im cruising about 70-80MPH on the highway, i hear a faint whistle noise coming from somewhere. I cant tell if its shifter noise im hearing (stock shifter so i doubt it) or if its coming from a seal somewhere on the passenger side of the car?? I lifted up the shifter boot and it seemed like it might have gotten a little louder but im not sure if its just my imagination because i was listening so close for it? lol The sound is so faint that with the radio on 1 on the volume, you cant really hear it but when the radio is off, you can def hear it.

Where could it be coming from???

And 2nd, ive noticed the past couple days when i start the car in the morning as im letting it idle to warm up before i take off, i can hear what sounds like a noise coming from a pulley, belt or maybe power steering. Its kind of like a whine noise too and gets slightly louder as i accelerate at slow speed and then it either goes away or i just cant hear it over everything else after that. The car has 103k on it. Is there anything under there (pulleys wise) that is common to go out around now. Just sounds like a noisy pulley/belt noise to me but it doesnt grind or squeal or cause any problems... just a faint whine thats a little louder than i think it should be. I can really only hear it clearly if im parked beside something that the noise can echo off of.

Thanks for the help in advance!!
Old 03-03-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

I know the diffs are prone to howling at certain speeds/certain gears. I have never experienced it so I can't really be too descriptive.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by deedubb
I know the diffs are prone to howling at certain speeds/certain gears. I have never experienced it so I can't really be too descriptive.
Hmm... that might be it then. I cant tell where it is coming from. I played with the moonroof (which was replaced due to a light leak not long ago so i doubted that was the issue)... sound didnt change. Played with the windows... sound didnt change. I even leaned over and opened and closed the passenger door... still didnt change. I was starting to think it could possibly be the seal around the windsheild but that would be weird!

I could very well be a howling from the diff im hearing through the console or something...

Good thing i have an extra diff...
Old 03-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Launching!

If you have the antenna on the back window, try changing the 'angle of the dangle'.
I'm a FCC licensed HAM and i'm familiar with antennas causing a whine when moving at highway speeds.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Stepside
If you have the antenna on the back window, try changing the 'angle of the dangle'.
I'm a FCC licensed HAM and i'm familiar with antennas causing a whine when moving at highway speeds.
The car came with the antenna but its been removed. lol

Im thinking its prob a rear end whine im hearing because it doesnt sound like wind so much coming through a seal somewhere (had that before on another car). It sounds more like a whine/faint whistle type sound...
Old 03-04-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Veteran

After driving it last night, i noticed something...

The noise is coming from the trans i believe. When i was driving last night, it was dead silent and when i stopped at a light and got going again, once i shifted it back into 6th (my shitty gear), i began to hear that faint noise again. Sometimes it makes it and sometimes it doesn't. Maybe it has something to do with what tooth/gear it catches when i shift into 6th as to whether it will make that slight noise or not.

I am a little relieved because my trans needs a little work anyway. Both 6th and reverse are hard to get into and grind unless i hold the shifter tight in the gear and let the clutch out slow. At least its not a seperate issue and its something i already knew i would need to fix.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Location: virginia everything is illegal and cops are assholes

I have been hearing the exact same noise directly beneath my shifter it does it sometimes then it doesn't. It also seems to go with the speed of the car when it is doing it. it sounds like a mouse squeeking quietly if anyone does possibly know what this could be please chime in. someone mentioned the possibility of it being the throw-out bearing.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by nfl2008
I have been hearing the exact same noise directly beneath my shifter it does it sometimes then it doesn't. It also seems to go with the speed of the car when it is doing it. it sounds like a mouse squeeking quietly if anyone does possibly know what this could be please chime in. someone mentioned the possibility of it being the throw-out bearing.
Exact same sound i hear! Couldn't have described it better... lol
Old 03-05-2010, 12:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

throwout bearing is more pronounced when it goes. Youll hear it when the clutch is out but if you rest your foot on the clutch pedal it will go away. Or does most of the time.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Its def not the throwout bearing. I know what that sounds like and my clutch feels nice and tight and doesn't make any noise. The sound does seem to come from the shifter area though...
Old 03-05-2010, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do you have an aftermarket shifter yet? Mine is noisier the stock with the b&m
Old 03-05-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Not yet... stock shifter...
Old 03-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Staging Lane

Location: virginia everything is illegal and cops are assholes

I do have a UUC aftermarket shifter. But after I took it 150mph on sunday racing my buddies z06 vette the noise seemed to have gone away. But getting ready to leave for work i guess we will see today.

Last edited by nfl2008; 03-09-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Its the rear whining in mine. When we dropped it, i drove across town with the rear seats out and the noise was much more prominant. Its a common issue so ill just turn the radio up a little until i replace my diff. At least it only does it every once in awhile...
Old 03-16-2011, 11:53 AM

Default whistle noise when 1st starts

did you find out what causes the whistle when you 1st start your car. Mine does this to. It goes away after 10 mph. whistles at idle and more when i accelerate but goes away after i start driving and get up to 10 or 15 mph. any suggestions. thank you.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

that might just be your invisible supercharger, alex.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:15 PM

That's what I thought. Its the super charger warming up. Any other suggestions?
Old 03-16-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe its one of these!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-16-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Idler pulley bearings going out??
Old 03-16-2011, 10:49 PM

Thank you. ill look into that.

Quick Reply: Wind/whistle noise and pulley noise... Help??