Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Found a great deal online for Hawk Ceramic pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found a great deal online for Hawk Ceramic pads

So, I got to get new pads all around and rotors (so much for the group buy on the cam . Been doing some shopping online this morning and ran across this site. Seem to have by far the best price I have found, so I thought I would share with everyone

Front Pads $102.99

Rear Pads $81.99
Old 04-14-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

Wow that is a great price! Thanks
Old 04-14-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MAPerformance shipped me Hawk HPS pads front and rear for 180. should be here anyday. Also stoptech slotted rotors with powdercoated black hubs for 510 for all four.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of front HP+ pads, brand new still in the original plastic wrap for sale, $115 shipped. The add is in the classifieds.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rabbit15
So, I got to get new pads all around and rotors (so much for the group buy on the cam . Been doing some shopping online this morning and ran across this site. Seem to have by far the best price I have found, so I thought I would share with everyone

Front Pads $102.99

Rear Pads $81.99
PLus 15 for shipping, id contact MAperformance and get the deal I got. Hawk ceramics blow by the way, I have the fronts on now and im switching to HPS's after only 8k miles.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone have a real world personbal comparison of the hp+ and the hps? Or anything better? I am about to order the stoptech slotted rotors and stainless braided lines and some new pads soon.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

HP+ are by far better then the HPS from what I hear, but are a lot more harsh on the rotors, i went with the HPS since its my daily driver and havent heard many complaints about them. All i know is swapping from stock feroddos to the hawk ceramics was like taking and putting vaseline on the rotors and trying to stop. So much worse then stock and not worth it just for less brake dust. I think the stock pads are even better then then HPS but they literally turned the black wheels brown in less then one day of driving.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by itsslow98
PLus 15 for shipping, id contact MAperformance and get the deal I got. Hawk ceramics blow by the way, I have the fronts on now and im switching to HPS's after only 8k miles.
Good to know. Thanks for the real world feedback. Glad you chimed in before I ordered. I'll definatly check with MacPreformance! (on rotors too.)

U have a link to the website or did u call? I went to their website and 0 search results for hawk brakes????
Old 04-15-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had a lot of pads on my car over $105k miles. I have not had the Hawk ceramics, but I hated the HPS's so I can only imagine how much I would detest the Ceramics. Here they are in order of stopping power, with details:

Hawk HPS:
--Dust: Low
--Noise: None
--Stopping Power: Below average (lower than stock)
--Comments: The only thing these have going for them is light cocoa colored dust that doesn't make a clean car look bad in a few days. If all you care about it brake dust get, these. Actually, sell your V, and get a volvo you woman. Performance on these was noticeably lower than stock. I did not like these pads.

Ferodo H1000 (stock pads)
--Dust: High
--Noise: Very low. Squeeled a bit at the end of their life, at low speeds
--Stopping Power: Good (lower than stock)
--Comments: For an OEM pad, these are pretty good. Dust seemed pretty high. Performance was good. Lasted about 30k miles for me

Hawk HP+
--Noise: Very low. Slight squeel now and again at low speeds
--Stopping Power: Very good (lower than stock)
--Comments: They dust probabaly as much as stock, and tend to make a little noise going very slow. After a car wash, the first brake use was a bit scary, but not a huge deal. These are probably your best bet for most people that want a liveable agressive pad for the street. I would be very interested to see how these stack up against the Carbotech Panther Plus.

Carbotech AX6
--Dust: Unknown yet. I've only had these on 1 week, and my rims were black from the Hawk HP+'s I had before. Carbotechs are supposed to dust less than Hawks, so we'll see.
--Noise: Sounds like a dump truck on light braking, under 5mph.
--Stopping Power: Hell ya! (difference between HP+, and AX6 is like the difference between HPS and HP+. These are damned grippy.)
--Comments: Jury is out on the dust. Squeeling I can live with, but my wife already hates it (it is a bit annoying). I'm hoping once they settle in a bit, it will squeel less. the stopping power for a quasi street pad (they are really Auto-Cross pads, designed to work great at low heat) is amazing. They are really that good. It takes half pedal pressure to induce ABS on street tires.

Carbotech XP8/XP10/XP12:
--Dust: N/A track pad
--Noise: N/A track pad
--Stopping Power: where are my eyes, I need to put them back in the sockets.
--Comments: Outbrake 996 911's at the track? Yup. I can only imagine what XP16's would do. My hoosiers couldn't keep up with XP12's at the track.

So in a nutshell, I am gonna live with the AX6's for a while, and see how they shake out. The perfomance is amazing, so I think I'll keep them. For most guys, HP+'s is as agressive as you'd want to go. I'd love to know how the CarboTech Panther Plus rank in compaison to the HP+. The AX6's are so good, I bet the Panther Plus' are very simlar to the HP+. Based on carbotech's reputation, they should also dust less then the HP+'s. Someone with HP+'s should give them a try, and see how they rate.

-Chris
Old 04-15-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

^^ Wow nice write up! I guess I should be looking for a volvo to match the purse...lol.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

--Comments: For an OEM pad, these are pretty good. Dust seemed pretty high. Performance was good. Lasted about 30k miles for me

How can factory pads be lower then stock performance wise?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

trukk,

Thanks for an excellent review.

Are all of these reviews with stock rotors, or otherwise ?

I would just add the HP+'s can be a bit loud for my taste on the street (running slotted UUC one piece rotors), they definitely fail the $wife test.

I will be trying out a set of HT-10 as soon as I can make it back out to the track. If I remember I'll post results here.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rabbit15
Good to know. Thanks for the real world feedback. Glad you chimed in before I ordered. I'll definatly check with MacPreformance! (on rotors too.)

U have a link to the website or did u call? I went to their website and 0 search results for hawk brakes????
its maperformance.com

i found them on the other site, there is no v stuff on there site yet so i pmed them.....i actually got my pads today. the rotors have to be built so they should be here next week.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the write up and link. Need to do some more homework before I place my order!
Old 04-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Banned

Just ordered the Hawk Ceramics from Maperformance for $190 shipped front and rear. Ask for Adam he was great to work with and very knowledgeable
Old 04-16-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BADLS2CAD
Just ordered the Hawk Ceramics from Maperformance for $190 shipped front and rear. Ask for Adam he was great to work with and very knowledgeable
Yea Adam was who i was PMing, but i strongly suggest not getting ceramics although its too late for you now.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itsslow98

How can factory pads be lower then stock performance wise?
LOL, I need to frying pan myself. That was a cut and past error. Disregard 'lower than stock'.

Rjoffe,

Up front I've had 2 sets of OEM rotors, 1 set of GM drilled rotors, and just got the UUC 2 peice slotted rotors about a week ago. In back I've had one set of OEM's, and am currently still using my GM drilled in the back.

The OEM's are nice. I went drilled because I needed new rotors, and Lindsay only had them in stock. The front drilled ones didn't take that long to crack at the track. The rear ones are fine, since the front brakes take so much more abuse. I went with the UUC 2 piece because I liked the thought of shaving 7 lbs of rotating unspring weight per front wheel.

I'll eventually swap the rears back to the OEM disks, once they wear out (i'm on just my third set of pads, swapped last week, on the rear. I've gone through 6 sets up front, not counting track pads.

JD03Cobra,

Thanks for having a sense of humor about the Volvo comment .

-Chris
Old 04-16-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info trukk! Not sure which pads to go with still. maybe just a set of stockers....
Old 04-17-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by trukk
Up front I've had 2 sets of OEM rotors, 1 set of GM drilled rotors, and just got the UUC 2 peice slotted rotors about a week ago. In back I've had one set of OEM's, and am currently still using my GM drilled in the back.

The OEM's are nice. I went drilled because I needed new rotors, and Lindsay only had them in stock. The front drilled ones didn't take that long to crack at the track. The rear ones are fine, since the front brakes take so much more abuse. I went with the UUC 2 piece because I liked the thought of shaving 7 lbs of rotating unspring weight per front wheel.

I'll eventually swap the rears back to the OEM disks, once they wear out (i'm on just my third set of pads, swapped last week, on the rear. I've gone through 6 sets up front, not counting track pads.
I think I'm on a similar trajectory as you (you are way ahead though). Started off with OEM's, went with GM drilled, cracked the fronts, now on UUC slotted. I couldn't justify the cost of the 2 piece quite yet.

Are you staying square with the pads (same front and rear), or are you running mixed pads?

Ron
Old 04-17-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

For those considering hawk ceramics, I have to tell you that if the only reason you are wanting them is so its low dust, dont bother, mine dust just as bad as my stockers did except i gave up a considerable amount of stopping power. I hope the HPS's are a better choice.

Also, for those who want slotted rotors, I got mine from maperformance.com and they are stoptech blanks then they powdercoat the hubs black and were like 10x a pc. I dont have them yet since they are being built but ill post pics when i get them.

Quick Reply: Found a great deal online for Hawk Ceramic pads