Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Prepping for header install...heat wrap for wires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 01:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Prepping for header install...heat wrap for wires?

Like the title says my headers should be here friday and I have been reading some stuff about the headers frying electrical wires and I wanna know what peoples thoughts are. I also wanna know what people are using to not fry the wires. I am not gonna use heat wrap to wrap the headers but wouldnt mind using the reflective tape for starters or such to protect wiring. Thanks for the help. Should have a video posted of Kooks with high flow cats, stock resonator, and muffler delete this weekend.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same set up. I think you will love the sound! I didn't wrap my headers and buying used the coating had started to fade and I haven't had any issues at all. But was thinking about pulling them and trying to just the VHT ceramic coating. It is cheap I just don't know if it effective.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Like the title says my headers should be here friday and I have been reading some stuff about the headers frying electrical wires and I wanna know what peoples thoughts are. I also wanna know what people are using to not fry the wires. I am not gonna use heat wrap to wrap the headers but wouldnt mind using the reflective tape for starters or such to protect wiring. Thanks for the help. Should have a video posted of Kooks with high flow cats, stock resonator, and muffler delete this weekend.
Should be interesting. I did not want headers on this car and had talked myself into a set of RT cats to go with the muffler delete and stock resonator I currently have. A moderate increase in sound is what I was looking for. If the resonator can tone down the header rasp I might just bite the bullet. I planned on doing a Cheater v3 style cam as it is designed for stock manifolds. I dont want this car sounding or driving like my F-body or 03 Cobra

I am also curious as to suggestions to eliminating some heat with headers on these cars as that is another reason I was leaning towards the RT cats for a tad more power and sound w/o the hassle of LT's.

Last edited by big reg; 04-20-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished wrapping my PS side SW Longtube a few hours ago..
These were used so i cleaned them up hit them with VHT hitemp header paint then wrapped them with 2 wet 50ft rolls..I got the DEI SI spray paint to spray them once they are fully dry. it took 2 days for the driver to fully dry

here is a good thread for ya:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ecautions.html
i got a 3ft DEI cool tube for my ALT wire and some thermo shield to lay over the brake lines
Old 04-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

We've had our Kooks on since January and haven't had any problems! The only thing we covered for melting/burning purposes was the remote bleeder for the clutch and put on plug wire sleeves. All is well everywhere else!!

Good Luck!! Post some pics when you're done
Old 04-20-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

i am also interested in all of the replies... ( still wanting my damn headers!!!!)
Old 04-20-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check Jegs or Summit in the wiring section for the DEI insulating stuff assortment. They have something for just about every situation -- sewn tubes, velcro tubes, insulating pads, pipe wraps, etc.

If you don't coat your headers (or otherwise insulate them), use the DEI stuff on everything within 4-5" of the pipes, including the floor pans.

Most important..... Get a starter insulator shield from LPE or someone else who has a quality shield. It's cheaper than a new starter by about $50.

Spend a little now or a whole lot later!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe Ill wrap them like Shady did.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Teching In

shadyls6 those headers wrap is sweet. i plan on doing the same thing, keep as much heat out of that engine bay.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use these on the road race car ...
http://www.designengineering.com/cat.../protect-boots

PITA to get on, but certainly protects the wires.

Header wrap looks nice when fresh. And installation is an artform to make it look nice. But it certainly looks bad when it gets a little dirty or gets loose.

Quick Reply: Prepping for header install...heat wrap for wires?