Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Ummm Confused???

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ummm Confused???

OK, so RANDOMLY the audio in my V just stopped working?? The Nav Unit has full power and everything works, just no volume at all!!!! Being an electronic guru I searched and looked and tried to determine the cause, but no luck! I was really avoiding having to open up the dash and get behind there but it's looking like my last option. Anyone else ever run into or heard of this happening? Also, do you know where the BOSE amp is located, I think it could be a blown fuse... Any help is appreciated!!!!! Thanks!
Old 04-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Start with the bose amp. That sounds like the most likely cause. The amp is located on the drivers side quarter panel in the trunk. I believe the fuse for it is under the rear seat. Look at this it has schematics for the amp so you can trace power and ground....

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...eep/index.html
Old 04-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by VforMe
Start with the bose amp. That sounds like the most likely cause. The amp is located on the drivers side quarter panel in the trunk. I believe the fuse for it is under the rear seat. Look at this it has schematics for the amp so you can trace power and ground....

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...eep/index.html
Thanks for the info! I checked all the fuses and also went through the wiring for the amp. Ground and power are both OK. Not sure whats next.. I'm really dreading that I have to open up the dash and get behind the nav... I feel a little nauseous just thinking about it!! Any other suggestions??
Old 04-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Did you check signal in and signal out on the amp. That may tell you a little more. If you aren't getting a signal in then I would pull out the nav unit. It's not that hard. There are instructions on cadillacfaq that I referenced above. It takes like 5 mins to get it out. Just be careful prying on the bezel. Good Luck. I hope for your wallets sake its not the nav unit.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by VforMe
Did you check signal in and signal out on the amp. That may tell you a little more. If you aren't getting a signal in then I would pull out the nav unit. It's not that hard. There are instructions on cadillacfaq that I referenced above. It takes like 5 mins to get it out. Just be careful prying on the bezel. Good Luck. I hope for your wallets sake its not the nav unit.
I don't have a meter so that isn't really an option. Is there a fuse on the nav itself? If the unit is the problem, I'm not gonna waste the money for a factory one and just upgrade and end up loosing the DIC which sucks but it's much more cost effective!
Old 04-24-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive seen used units on ebay for like 400-600 which isnt cheap but I wouldnt wanna lose the pop up warnings like stability control and TC and all that stuff. Also battery volts etc.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Launching!

Being that you're a electronic guru with 'no meter', try looking at the pins on the plug to the amp . . . . . . ? ? no meter?? . . .maybe an investment in a DVM would be your . . .
"next mod" and yes, I know, everybody likes a nice ***, but nobody likes a wise-*** . . . but sometimes I cannot help myself.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stepside
Being that you're a electronic guru with 'no meter', try looking at the pins on the plug to the amp . . . . . . ? ? no meter?? . . .maybe an investment in a DVM would be your . . .
"next mod" and yes, I know, everybody likes a nice ***, but nobody likes a wise-*** . . . but sometimes I cannot help myself.
Here's a few things for you.... First off... I did have a meter, but I sold it my cousin, if you'd like to buy me a new one, be my guest. Second, just because I am an "electronics guru" doesn't mean I would own everything I need to do or diagnose a job. I am also a "car enthusiast" so does that mean that I should own every tool I need to do whichever job of my pleasing.... NO!!! Third, I'm not to sure what "looking" at pins would do. Fourth, how about you go find someone else to try and insult. Your input would have been fine but I don't take kindly to the bullshit sarcasm. Stay out of my thread...
Old 04-25-2010, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Okay so I'm not trying to be a smartass but if you expect to have any chance at diagnosing this you're gonna have to go get a meter. You can get a cheap digital one for almost nothing at radio shack. When you said power and ground on the amp are OK did you just mean you physically looked at them and they looked OK?

Quick Reply: Ummm Confused???