Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New Monster Stage 2 Installed -- Now grinding noises from the bellhousing area???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation New Monster Stage 2 Installed -- Now grinding noises from the bellhousing area???

I posted this over on the other Cadi forum as well, but I hoped maybe some of you guys would have some more answers for me...

Hey guys,

I recently had a local mechanic friend of mine install my Monster Stage 2 Clutch Kit (clutch disc, pressure plate, 18 lb. flywheel, new slave cylinder, new pilot bearing, and new release bearing). He had some problems getting everything installed, he had to remove the passenger side header, and to loosen the motor mounts and rock the engine foward, and had to take about a 1.5"x1.5" notch out of the bellhousing in addition to having to bend the crap out of the slave cylinder bleeder lines.

The clutch feels wonderful: engagement and disengagement is smooth, pedal feels perfect (almost same as stock), the pedal travel is not as long as stock which is great, it is easy to get into and out of all gears (no change over stock), and the clutch holds the power perfect and doesn't slip or anything...but, I am getting a terrible whirring/grinding noise from the bellhousing area after I start to get on it a little and get the rpms and the speed up higher than just regular in town driving. It seems to get slightly worse, the more than transmission/clutch gets heated up.

I am also getting what seems to be a metal on metal bumping/banging sound from the bellhousing (from inside the car it sounds exactly as if it is emanating from under the armrest) if I go over bumpy pavement at in town speeds as well. It almost seems as if something is loose, or the transmission mount is shot and the bellhousing is somehow making metal on metal contact with the underside of the car.

Overall, it seems like a combination of (a bolt or two loose in the clutch kit itself) sounds coming from inside and directly outside the bellhousing.

I am so frustrated right now, I hate it when stuff like this happens when I spare no expense, buy the best parts, and **** still goes wrong...

Do any of you guys have any insight into what is going wrong?

On a side note: My mechanic has given me a 6 month/6000 mile Warranty on his work, but of course, if the problem turns out to be one or more of the parts I installed, that will have to be on my dime (the problem is my dimes are pretty sparse, lol). He and I are going to go for a drive tonight and I'll show him what's up and maybe he will know right off the bat what is wrong.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Remove the header, loosen the motor mount and notch the bell housing? None of that has to be done. I know that for a fact.

Call Monster, they will help you out.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by whisler151
Remove the header, loosen the motor mount and notch the bell housing? None of that has to be done. I know that for a fact.

Call Monster, they will help you out.
I wish I could have been there to oversee what was going on, but he just did all that because apparently he couldn't find any other way to get to some of the bolts, I guess...I don't know. Obviously I wish I would have taken my car to someone who is experienced with installing clutches on LS motors, but I don't really have any choices in my small town.

I'll give Monster a call.

Edit: Just called the guys at Monster and basically they said that it sounds like something might be hosed, but they are at a loss to figure out what it might be.

Last edited by tweeter81; 05-15-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

Update: My mechanic and I took a ride last night and we determined that one of the things that was happening was cats were hitting the underside of the car, so I am just going to have them removed and a test pipe installed in their place in preparation for the cutouts next summer.

He also thought the grinding noise was more along the lines of the driveshaft, not inside the bellhousing, so we will see when he tears it apart next week. The noise only happens at high rpm, and especially when the car is run up to high rpms and then allowed to coast down while in gear (that is when it is the most evident) so that made him think that it might not be anything with the clutch since the sound only occurs at high rpm and not all the time. Like I said, we will see...and in the meantime
Old 05-15-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tweeter81
Update: My mechanic and I took a ride last night and we determined that one of the things that was happening was cats were hitting the underside of the car, so I am just going to have them removed and a test pipe installed in their place in preparation for the cutouts next summer.

He also thought the grinding noise was more along the lines of the driveshaft, not inside the bellhousing, so we will see when he tears it apart next week. The noise only happens at high rpm, and especially when the car is run up to high rpms and then allowed to coast down while in gear (that is when it is the most evident) so that made him think that it might not be anything with the clutch since the sound only occurs at high rpm and not all the time. Like I said, we will see...and in the meantime
Good to hear.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tweeter81

As far as the drive shaft is concerned, did he mark it when removing? If not it may just need re-indexed.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CancerJCC
As far as the drive shaft is concerned, did he mark it when removing? If not it may just need re-indexed.
I have had it re-indexed when the car was still under warranty, but the symptoms of that were just a low-frequency vibration at highway speeds (it sounded like an exhaust drone, believe it or not). It completely went away after the re-indexing.

This is way different than that. This grinding is blatantly wrong and it is pretty obvious that something is rubbing/catching -- not sure why it is only at high rpms though...
Old 05-17-2010, 10:28 PM

Looking forward to hearing what the outcome to this issue is...
Old 05-18-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

flywheel out of balance maybe? i have no idea and dont have much experience with clutches coming from stalled autos. you sure you just dont have to get used to the 18lb flywheel?
Old 05-18-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by itsslow98
flywheel out of balance maybe? i have no idea and dont have much experience with clutches coming from stalled autos. you sure you just dont have to get used to the 18lb flywheel?
I really don't know. I would think that if the flywheel was out of balance, that sound would be present all the time, not just in gear and at high rpms.

As for the 18 lb flywheel. It was not even remotely hard to get used to. It feels almost exactly like stock. I have to give the car about 10% more throttle starting from a stop, and that is it. I was very, very surprised at how easy the transition to a light flywheel was.

Like I said, this is not just a getting used to it kind of thing, this is a blatant grinding sound that if you heard it on your own car, you would not want to drive it until it got fixed, it's that bad.

At any rate, by the end of this week I should have a report back from my mechanic on what the problem is, or what he thinks it is anyway. The fact that it has to be in gear for the sound to occur (and the clutch is not exhibiting any weird behavior) really leads me to believe it is something to do with the driveshaft.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:28 AM

I hate when problems like this arrise, I am sure you will find the issue(s), I'm looking forward to knowing as well. As I may be going a similiar route sometime in the furture.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Regular

FINAL UPDATE:

I can't believe it, but the problem ended up being the exhaust pipe, right behind the cats, was banging/rubbing on the transmission brace, I guess. That somehow caused all that racket. It sure sounded much worse than that, but my mechanic looked at it all and moved the pipes a bit and it is smooth as butter now.

I am now loving life -- the Monster Clutch is badass, no dual mass clunking anymore, the shifts are much crisper and easier than before, and the car feels like it revs maybe 15%-20% faster. Overall, the car just feels better than it ever has. I will have a much more in-depth review of the new parts (clutch, axles, heavy springs) in a few weeks after I have had a chance to really test out my baby with all the new parts.

It is all good now!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Awesome to hear! Keep us posted.

LAW

Quick Reply: New Monster Stage 2 Installed -- Now grinding noises from the bellhousing area???