Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Fuel Leak! Fuel Pump Melting & Smoking!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greddy91
interesting... three of these happening now... I thought it might have been the overload of the magnavolt, but you guys were both stock (fuel pump/voltage/assembly wise)?
I am painfully stock with no performance modifications. I would like to see how many of us out there have had this issue.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Teching In

This happened to me when I first got my V and it was bone stock. Pulled up at the gas station, started pumping, smell gas like crazy, look down and I am standing in a puddle. Happened exactly 32 days after I bought it from CARMAX too, and that is two days after their 30 day warranty...
Old 09-30-2011, 05:57 AM
Staging Lane

All in all this is kind of a scary proposition. Hopefully this won't happen every 43k miles.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I added a Walbro 255 along with the Racetronix hot wire kit yesterday/today and thought I'd add my pics to this thread.

All in all this wasn't terrible to do but did end up taking longer than I thought it would (what mod doesn't though). A few things to consider:

Be extra careful hammering with the copper pipe. I was wacking the business out of mine and didn't realize it had split and started cutting into the tank. A few more millimeters and I'd have been through the top of the tank! :helpless:

If you plan to reuse the sheet metal like a door then cut BIG the first time. I had to cut another strip and then a small piece in the corner. It still closed up decently but I'd like to have had ONE nice rectangle to fold in/out.

I would definitely do it this way vice dropping the tank. The "door" seals up nicely (see pic) and without thinking about what it is it matches up to the other aluminum tape spots under the seat.

First "nice" cut.

Reference to fuse box pic.

Everything zip tied up out of the way.

The angle I had luck with.

Some randoms of the fuel assembly for the guys in the fuel pickup thread.

All buttoned up!

Old 11-27-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should also use weather silicone all around your trap door, before applying the aluminum tape.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Leak! Fuel Pump Melting & Smoking!!-trapdoor2.jpg   Fuel Leak! Fuel Pump Melting & Smoking!!-trapdoor3.jpg  
Old 11-27-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vmapper
You should also use weather silicone all around your trap door, before applying the aluminum tape.
Meh probably could but I'm sure I'll be alright without it. Maybe after everything works for a few k I'll seal it up more professionally.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Launching!

wow. The redneck fuel pump access hack doesn't pertain only to camaros and firebirds from 1982-1992...it works for a damn cadillac too!!
Old 11-27-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah its because gm for some reason didnt put a door there.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
yeah its because gm for some reason didnt put a door there.
Yep. So I did!
Old 11-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Teching In

I just had this issue as well.

2005 CTS-V - 100% stock. 157,000 miles.

I filled up, went home and found a gas leak. Cut inspection hole yesterday and found burnt plug/fuel pump housing.

I have been having stalling issues after last fill up.

I ordered a new pump/pigtail from Lindsay Cadillac and will install this week. Lets hope this solves the issue.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Once the terminals are heated there is a good chance it will happen again. Uunfortunately the bulkhead connector on the CTSV module is molded into the assembly unlike some Delphi modules which can be replaced.

We sell this connector kit:

We will also offer a version with pigtail leads shortly.

Thanks.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 12-01-2011, 06:11 AM
On The Tree

This puts my mind at ease especially since my car gets parked under my house.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vmapper
Well sir I should have listened! I was getting some fuel smell in the car so I pulled off the tape and sealed it up. Although I still would have probably left it "open" until everything tested out I have it sealed up now. Thanks

Old 01-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Cadzila's Banned Troll Account

Originally Posted by CancerJCC
Well I added a Walbro 255 along with the Racetronix hot wire kit yesterday/today and thought I'd add my pics to this thread.

All in all this wasn't terrible to do but did end up taking longer than I thought it would (what mod doesn't though). A few things to consider:

Be extra careful hammering with the copper pipe. I was wacking the business out of mine and didn't realize it had split and started cutting into the tank. A few more millimeters and I'd have been through the top of the tank! :helpless:

If you plan to reuse the sheet metal like a door then cut BIG the first time. I had to cut another strip and then a small piece in the corner. It still closed up decently but I'd like to have had ONE nice rectangle to fold in/out.

I would definitely do it this way vice dropping the tank. The "door" seals up nicely (see pic) and without thinking about what it is it matches up to the other aluminum tape spots under the seat.

First "nice" cut.

Reference to fuse box pic.

Everything zip tied up out of the way.

The angle I had luck with.

Some randoms of the fuel assembly for the guys in the fuel pickup thread.

All buttoned up!

What kind of idiot cuts a hole in the floor to change a fuel pump? And then puts tape over the hole!!

Nice going jackazz... seriously stupid
Old 04-07-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

yes me too. so I am doing the fuel pump upgrade finally to the Kyosan.

I have fabbed the bracket to secure the pump and will post all the parts I purchased to make this work.

I also was forced to purchase a new(used) fuel pump assembly to install the pump in due to electrical plug burn. so when I dropped the tank, I drop in new assembly and reinstall.

Racetronix hotwire kit,too with ground kit.

I have a couple of questions when wiring up the fuel pump; black wires negative and white wires positive?? Do I just solder up some 4mm & 5mm post ring connectors??(black - and white +) since you can't reuse the plug from the stock pump.

I will post pictures after up and running. (hopefully Sunday.)

thanks for any help.

Last edited by VeryWhiteDevil; 04-07-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Happened to me as well. 100% stock fuel system.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

Mine didn't leak like that but my fuel pump went bad...just had it replaced.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JD03Cobra
Mine didn't leak like that but my fuel pump went bad...just had it replaced.
I was hoping that was the case with mine. No such luck.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

ttt for recallers....
Old 10-09-2014, 08:39 PM

I would like to chime in here and try to give you guys some advice regarding this fuel pump module BS. Heres my story. I have an 07 STS-V that is involved in this recall. My car has had a failure and was/is leaking fuel. After getting the we cant fix/no info run around when I called a few dealers about this recall, I came up with a plan. I had another dealer diagnose my fuel leak only, and confirmed fuel leaking from the area of the control module. Myself already knowing full well about the recall, printouts from GM and NHTSA in hand, and I didn't mention the recall until they had finished (this is the important part). They said the same "we cant fix it yet". Now they have my car that they reassembled with the existing faulty parts. At this point if they let you drive it, they are liable for anything that may happen as a result of this leak. I refuse to sign waivers saying it was unsafe or pay diagnostic fees. Now they have my car that was recalled for SAFETY, can't fix it, and won't give it back. This is where I had some leverage. I called Caddy Customer service requesting a rental car until mine was fixed. I got told no many times, never took no for an answer. I worked my way up until GM and the dealer went back and forth, a couple times while I was on conference call with both. You NEED to get your dealer to fight for you and tell the GM rep the car is unsafe to drive. The dealer makes money if they give out their own loaners that corporate will pay for, remind them of this. They kept telling me my recall was not eligible for the GM Loaner Program. I respectfully demanded and demanded for a couple days for substitute transportation from GM. If they say no ask for someone else.

This was my reasoning, and I think what backed them into a corner with my case:

GM has publically stated that they will provide customers who have had the ignition recall with access to the GM Loaner Program if they request it saying they feel unsafe in a recalled vehicle while waiting for a remedy. They say this on their own website, a GM website. I asked the case worker what the reasoning was behind this concession and his words were exactly "they are afraid of the fatalities" I referenced how the recall for our cars also said the vehicle could turn off, "increasing the risk of a crash", just like the ignition recall notice said, in addition to the admitted risk of a fire. Plus if a car leaks fuel, it violates federal safety standards and is technically illegal to drive on the road. They would be open to serious litigation if you crashed and burned or died as a result of this defect. I asked how our situation was any different in regards to my safety and their liability in the event of a crash or fire. My reasoning is if the ignition people can get rentals if they dont feel safe, why can't I. We and also other drivers on the road are just as much at risk, if not more, than they are. --- plus they have my car stuck in purgatory until they get their **** together. After I made this point I was put on hold for about 15 minutes (during all of this I was standing in the dealership refusing to leave without a car. They were closing and locking the doors and I wouldn't leave, so the dealership managers were now involved b/c they wanted to go home). So the rep comes back on the phone and says they will provide me with a dealer service loaner car for 3 days while they investigate my claim and they will contact me in 24 hours. Nobody called. Dealer says nobody called them either. Today I call back and speak with the same case worker, made the same points, demanded some more. Put on hold again for 15 minutes, comes back, apologizes many times for the delay, and says that GM has authorized that they will pay for a full size rental car indefinately until my vehicle has been repaired under this recall. Yes thats right, PAY FOR IN FULL UNTIL MY V IS FIXED!!!!!

I cant stress enough for you all to check to see if your VIN is involved. If the wiring corrodes enough, they become brittle and arc, all while sitting in a pool of leaked gasoline. A guy on caddy forums had his STS-V burn because of this long before this recall was issued. CALL AND FIGHT AND DEMAND AND DONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!!! It could be months before they have parts, make them pay for this inconvenience. You shouldn't need to have a failure for them to do this but it probably helps. I personally dont think any of you guys should be driving them right now, as hard as that is The fact alone of what "could" happen should be enough for you to fear for your safety (or at least tell GM you are) There are such low production numbers on these cars that we all need to call and fight so this issue doesn't get lost in the masses and hopefully get our cars fixed sooner.

So I guess the moral of the story is fight for your rights and make them do the right thing! You will win

I posted this in some other threads to spread the word

Last edited by STS-V Guy; 10-09-2014 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Leak! Fuel Pump Melting & Smoking!!