Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Help with this clunking noise....

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with this clunking noise....

....ok, so just driving around I have no issues at all, assuming the roads are good roads, but when i hit a bump or just real bad roads, the back makes a clunk pretty much every time......At first I was thinking maybe the shocks are bad? but than another friend thought that perhaps the Bushings on the Diff or control arms are bad?? I looked at them, and they didn't look overly bad or anything, on one of the control arm bushings it looks like it was cracked just a little bit, would this cause this sound? Is it possible that the shocks are bad? This sound doesn't sound like its coming out of the back center, it basically switches back and forth depending on if the bump was on the left or right.

Any ideas would be much appreciated, I plan to upgrade the suspension to coil-overs in the future, its just first I need to finish the cam upgrade, and wheels and tires, and want to stop this sound

thanks for the help

Chase
Old 06-18-2010, 11:02 PM
Teching In

My bet would be diff mount. Stock one is a worthless turd about as useful as a set of nuts on a mule. Creative steel is the way to go. Cheap (in the grand scheme of things) to try, and if it doesn't fix it, I am sure it would go soon anyways.

I had a massive clunk in the rear on hard shifts and hard on/off throttle. Diff mount completely took care of all of it.

Graham
Old 06-18-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well mine has a clunk coming from the front driver's side, has no rough ride or anything except for a few roads where there are almost whoops....sounds like a strut but I had it looked @ when I had new tires put on and it looked normal...maybe a wheel bearing?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:59 AM

If I were to guess I would think it would be your control arm bushings especially since you notice one is cracked. Also maybe the body mounts but you would have to lift your car.

Bearings - Felt as a vibration and creates kind of a howling sound almost.

Ball Joints - They don't make a clunking sound, you will feel them in the steering wheel (vibration) which creates dead spots (turning right or left with nothing happening).

Shocks - If it were the shocks your car would bounce up and down. They don't make a clunking sound unless they are completely gone and your car would be doing some pogo action .

Hope this helps
Old 06-20-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GrahamB
My bet would be diff mount. Stock one is a worthless turd about as useful as a set of nuts on a mule. Creative steel is the way to go. Cheap (in the grand scheme of things) to try, and if it doesn't fix it, I am sure it would go soon anyways.

I had a massive clunk in the rear on hard shifts and hard on/off throttle. Diff mount completely took care of all of it.

Graham
Do you have a website for Creative steel and a part number?
Old 06-20-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also check the sway bar bushing and end links. I've had both cause loud clunks over bumps on some of my other cars.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Stone17
I don't. SNL ordered them for me. Someone should have their info though.

Graham
Old 06-21-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

max@beartraplifter.com...swear to God it's legit....I lol'd @ the address.....I have his # too I just gotta find it in this garbage pile I call a desk. They are world class people there.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Stone17
I don't have the website but someone did hook me up with their info....the phone # is 888-316-1811, Max or Kristie....they usually get back with a quickness if you don't get em on first try....or hit em up in the email I listed on the last post. They will direct you on the part/parts that'll work best for your application.....BAMA
Old 06-21-2010, 02:10 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ITSAV
....ok, so just driving around I have no issues at all, assuming the roads are good roads, but when i hit a bump or just real bad roads, the back makes a clunk pretty much every time......At first I was thinking maybe the shocks are bad? but than another friend thought that perhaps the Bushings on the Diff or control arms are bad?? I looked at them, and they didn't look overly bad or anything, on one of the control arm bushings it looks like it was cracked just a little bit, would this cause this sound? Is it possible that the shocks are bad? This sound doesn't sound like its coming out of the back center, it basically switches back and forth depending on if the bump was on the left or right.

Any ideas would be much appreciated, I plan to upgrade the suspension to coil-overs in the future, its just first I need to finish the cam upgrade, and wheels and tires, and want to stop this sound

thanks for the help

Chase

I would also look at the shock mounts. I would raise the car and put it on jack stands, make sure it's secure and start man-handling the wheels up and down while listening for the noise. It's better with two people, one to shake and one to listen. I found a bad shock that way about 2 months ago.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
I would also look at the shock mounts. I would raise the car and put it on jack stands, make sure it's secure and start man-handling the wheels up and down while listening for the noise. It's better with two people, one to shake and one to listen. I found a bad shock that way about 2 months ago.
thanks for the idea, we'll try that when we have my large install day...
Old 06-22-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I had my exhaust tubing bumping the rear cradle a while ago... had to loosen the tubing and re-adjust the pipes a little for some extra clearance.

Just a thought from my experience a few months ago.

Quick Reply: Help with this clunking noise....