Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Clutch Pedal Went to the Floor with No Return

Old 06-19-2010, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Pedal Went to the Floor with No Return

Went to the bank yesterday to pick up some money to buy my step son a car. Got in the V, put the clutch pedal in and it never came back up. Checked the fluid resevoir and it looked okay. There were chunks of **** floating in there. But the accordian looking plunger that goes in the resevoir looked damaged. There is a plastic insert that goes in the middle of it. That had fallen out. Clutch seemed fine before that. Never slipped or smelled burnt.

I had to get the car towed home. Not sure what to look for. Never had this happen to any vehicles I have ever owned. What do you guys think is the problem?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurlee Daddee
Went to the bank yesterday to pick up some money to buy my step son a car. Got in the V, put the clutch pedal in and it never came back up. Checked the fluid resevoir and it looked okay. There were chunks of **** floating in there. But the accordian looking plunger that goes in the resevoir looked damaged. There is a plastic insert that goes in the middle of it. That had fallen out. Clutch seemed fine before that. Never slipped or smelled burnt.

I had to get the car towed home. Not sure what to look for. Never had this happen to any vehicles I have ever owned. What do you guys think is the problem?
So what did ya find out on your clutch issue?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Yesterday I looked up towards the pedal to make sure the rod that goes into the master cylinder actually gets pushed in by the pedal. It did. I pumped the pedal about 50 times, and filled the resevoir with a little more fluid. The pedal now comes all the way back up. I pumped it a total of like 75 times and now the clutch engages pretty low in the stroke. I could drive it now, but I am going to follow suggestions and flush the entire system with new fluid. Hopefully that is the only problem.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Anyways, I think I am going to bring my Caddy to the Caddy Shop and have them bleed the fluid. Also replace the cap and accordian thingy in the resevoir. That way I can have it documented so if there are any other problems in my near future with my clutch systemI can use my aftermarket warranty to have the problems fixed.

Seems as though the aftermarket warranty companies looks for anything they can to deny warranty claims (as it stated in their rules for claims.) If I have a documented clutch bleed by a Cadillac dealership and and the slave or master goes out after the fact, they will replace. If I bleed the clutch and its undocumented, they will try to deny warranty because of negligence and non-professional work. That's the way I read the owners manual for my warranty. What do you guys think?
Old 06-21-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurlee Daddee
Anyways, I think I am going to bring my Caddy to the Caddy Shop and have them bleed the fluid. Also replace the cap and accordian thingy in the resevoir. That way I can have it documented so if there are any other problems in my near future with my clutch systemI can use my aftermarket warranty to have the problems fixed.

Seems as though the aftermarket warranty companies looks for anything they can to deny warranty claims (as it stated in their rules for claims.) If I have a documented clutch bleed by a Cadillac dealership and and the slave or master goes out after the fact, they will replace. If I bleed the clutch and its undocumented, they will try to deny warranty because of negligence and non-professional work. That's the way I read the owners manual for my warranty. What do you guys think?
IDK exactly how your local will deal with it, I used to be an F&I mgr for a dealership and as long as...your fluid was OEM and wasn't suspect as a band-aid repair it would normally not be an issue, you always run the risk of catching a douchebag service writer that might deny your warranty claim. Which makes no sense b/c most people will just take their car to have the work done somewhere else if the warranty claim is denied and the tech or the writer gets no $ @ that point. The only thing I'd be worried about for real is making sure you buy the diaphragm from a dealer and making sure that it doesn't require a "tech installation". They have a lot of sly ways of wording things in warranties.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

So the adjuster from the warranty company came and determined the slave cylinder to be damaged, so they are going to pay for it and the labor BUT, they only want to pay $115 an hour, where as Cadillac charges $150 an hour. So they want me to pay the difference. I called them and argued and went back and forth with them and the service writer at Cadillac. They are trying to agree on another cheaper price.

In the meantime, the warranty company is entitling me to a rental car for up to 5 days at the price of $35 a day. Kind of funny that that is the difference they won't pay in labor. Stupid, I know. So even though I don't need a rental car, I went and got one anyways to spite the warranty company. I am rolling a 2010 Cadillac SRX4 which is pretty comfy.

Anyways, my Cadillac needed a new clutch and flywheel. They didn't want to hear about an aftermarket clutch assembly and refused to install one. So I had to get a stock clutch assembly. You don't want to hear about how much a new dual mass flywheel is.:bonkers:

So next week I should have my car back with a whole new clutch and feel whole again.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:58 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's some reading for you.

http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html
Old 07-21-2010, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Went to pick my car up today. Paid the bill and waited outside. Was waiting and waiting. The service manager comes out and tells me they have to jump start my car because they left the ignition on or whatever. Tells me to drive it around for a while. Really?

The guy pulls up and I automatically see a crease in my rear drivers side fender that wasn't there before. I told the guy and he got the same service writer. She comes out and apologizes. I was furious. She told me she would get it fixed and that I would have another rental car again. Still pissed.

I start driving it and notice oily finger prints on my drivers side cloth cream colored a-pillar and some oil on my drivers side seat in the velour. So pissed by now unexplainable.

The shifter **** now turns side to side and is no longer solid to the shifter.

I get home, and immediately call the SERVICE MANAGER. I told him I just picked up my car and what had happened. I didn't yell but my voice was raised and you could tell I was beyond pissed. He apologized and told me he would do everything in his power to make things better.

I told him it is COMPLETELY unexceptable to have my car coming out of a CADILLAC dealership worse than the way it was when it went in.

Anyone know of a top notch body shop that does good work in the Bay Area? They are going to try and send me to theirs and I know they are going to do shoddy work. Let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Clutch Pedal Went to the Floor with No Return-photo.jpg  
Old 07-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

what a ******* nightmare
Old 07-21-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

cheese and crackers that sucks...

i can say that i more then likely would have punched someone in the face
Old 07-22-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think i would have had to walk away for a moment.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

My battery is completely dead now in my Caddy. I went out to go to the gym yesterday and I couldn't even get the electric locks to open up the car. So they will be buying me a new battery since they killed mine. So let's see what the total damages to my car is:

Body damage on rear drives side fender
Dead battery from incompetence
Oily handprint removal on interior
Fix the shifter **** since it moves side to side
Rental car for the entire duration of the above repairs

My buddy's wife is a service writer as well. If they give me any problems, I will have her call up and remind them what rights I have. If I have to, I will get a lawyer and make them pay everything. I will also report it to the Better Business Bureau.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Wow, thats totally unacceptable. I'd never go to the place again after all that.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:13 AM
Staging Lane

Might as well report them to the GM customer service while you are at it.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Goats
Might as well report them to the GM customer service while you are at it.
I've done that before with Pontiac and had great results.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

So they came and towed my car. They replaced the battery since they killed mine. They had a detailer detail my whole interior, not just the stains they left. Although they still didn't get rid of the ones on my A-pillar. I was going to say something, but I really want my car back. So I will deal with that.

I now have to go to the body shop tomorrow and get an estimate on the amount it is going to be for the body work. Then get the okay to get the work done.

So I went in for a clutch fluid flush and walked out with the following replacement parts:

slave cylinder (their dime)
battery (their dime)
new shifter assembly and **** (their dime)
full interior detail (their dime)
master cylinder (their dime)
flywheel and clutch assembly (my dime)

Its been almost 3 weeks and I will be without my car for more time when getting the body work done. Then I can really enjoy my car again. Wish me luck.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some dealerships just don't have the people that take care of cars when they're working on them.

I once had a salesman let some family go through my car(parked in the customer parking) and the kids had fucked up the back seat. Salesman actually reached in and unlocked my car and showed the guy the car telling him that it was getting traded in. Ended up arguing with the dealer and just going and pulling out a rear seat(bottom piece) out of one of their cars on the lot and throwing my torn one out at the salesman.

Some people just don't give a **** about another persons belongings.

At least your V will be looking amazingly clean once you get it back and everything is all done at the shop. I don't take any car to a dealer anymore, especially after I get my C6 back with an extra 30 miles and spotted another customers car being driven by an employee far far away from the dealership.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Went to the Floor with No Return