Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Installed the GC kit and..... Need some advice..

Old 07-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed the GC kit and..... Need some advice..

Installed the ground control kit and the car is not very low.. I got the thing as low as it will go in the rear.. it may have lowered it an inch if that!! What do I need to get her a little lower?? Some mighty mouse spacers? cut the bump stops? or what??? will it settle down any?? I have no drove the car yet, they only thing I have done is got it off jacks and back on the ground..

let me know what I need to do..

Thanks
Old 07-02-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

The shocks won't pump back up till you drive around...so if you just set it down thats the height it's gonna be if you got the shocks sorted out properly. It'll settle down some, not that much though...don't know as I don't have the GC kit.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

its alll the way down in the rear, no more adjustment and it maybe lowered the car a half inch or a hair more.. it needs a inch more or so..
Old 07-02-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

what shocks are you running? factory shocks are self leveling and will try and correct to stock height, so with it slammed as far as it goes and the shocks trying to correct it, it will raise it some. i have the qa1 shocks and they arent self leveling and i can sit my rear sheetmetal on the tire no problem
Old 07-02-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm on qa1's also and the rear can defiantly go down to the tire!
Old 07-02-2010, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

im not all the way down in the rear. I have about a 1/4 inch to go. From the lip of the rear fender down the center of the axle its 27inches to the ground. When i take my car off the lift i drive it around the shop and repark it so everything is settled. 27 inches on all 4 corners and the tires will scuff the fenders every now and then.

Remo
Old 07-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

I have the factory shocks...

and Remo, now that you have told me your story what are you running..

I'm still not getting any answers.

I would like to fix the situation before I get the car all put back together..

thanks
Old 07-03-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

I have the GC kit and fenders are sitting on tires. did you install the spacers on the shocks??
Old 07-03-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by VeryWhiteDevil
I have the GC kit and fenders are sitting on tires. did you install the spacers on the shocks??
this looks to be the problem, if your running on stock shocks, make sure the spacers are there
Old 07-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

hell I guess i installed the spacers.. I installed everything the kit came with.. even did the feffman fix in the rear..
Old 07-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

the only spacer I saw was the small one that goes inside the taller spacer... which both of those sit inside a black rubber stop.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

I have the GC Kit as well and mine is as low as it can go in the rear and I still would like it to be an inch lower (I have about 1.5" fender gap now, but I am running a 30 series tire in the rear which makes for a big fender gap). I have two sets of Eibach springs, so I think I am going to cut a coil off of one rear set and see how that works. Or I might just replace my FG2 shocks with some QA1s and see what that does for the rear ride height.

I does take about a week or so (and driving over a variety of surfaces to really work the springs) for the springs and suspension to really settle in to what the ride height is going to be. That is my experience anyway.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tweeter81
I have the GC Kit as well and mine is as low as it can go in the rear and I still would like it to be an inch lower (I have about 1.5" fender gap now, but I am running a 30 series tire in the rear which makes for a big fender gap). I have two sets of Eibach springs, so I think I am going to cut a coil off of one rear set and see how that works. Or I might just replace my FG2 shocks with some QA1s and see what that does for the rear ride height.

I does take about a week or so (and driving over a variety of surfaces to really work the springs) for the springs and suspension to really settle in to what the ride height is going to be. That is my experience anyway.
here is a shot of our car right now with 35 series tires on and almost an inch to drop in the back!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

Here is mine with a 2" fender gap in the rear (the tire sidewall is about 2.25" tall):

I would be happy with 1" lower.
Attached Thumbnails Installed the GC kit and..... Need some advice..-vside_big.jpg  
Old 07-07-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh the woes i bypassed doing it right the first time.

good luck op.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tony tone
oh the woes i bypassed doing it right the first time.

good luck op.
If by doing it "right" you mean spending an extra $4000-$5000 on your wheels/suspension than most of us did, then yes, you really did it "right". Most of the other V owners have used that extra money saved by not breaking the bank on wheels and actually spent it on mods that make the car faster. Some of us like a little go with our show.

I'm not saying your car isn't cool, just merely pointing out that the money spent to get it there (read: sits about 1" lower than other lowered Vs, custom color-matched wheels, etc.) is astronomical.

Not to mention, for those of us who have actually had a V since '04 or '05, the only lowering kit available was the GC Kit until probably late '07. Most of us V veterans didn't have another choice if we wanted our car lowered.

Last edited by tweeter81; 07-07-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you took my post a little bit out of proportion...

and at what point were wheels part of the discussion?

To clarify, by doing it right I mean eliminating the problem all together by replacing the self-leveling nonsense with another solution. You can choose another shock + spring combo, but why when they're just as expensive combined as a complete coil-over solution.

When I found out we had to use some spacers to fool the car from auto-leveling, I immediately sensed a long journey of headaches, so I bought k-sports which brought all new shocks and eliminated my concern as well as giving me what I wanted in heigh adjustment.

Take it easy, Tweeter, no need to get all direct and ****, but my apologies if you feel I may have been direct myself.

Last edited by tony tone; 07-07-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

*edit* double post
Old 07-07-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

It's all good. No offense taken, or meant.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with tony. it was a pain in the *** to get my car to sit right. a big pain! i dont know how many times i took the springs and shocks off the car just to rig them right. if i had the cash i would do the same as you tony. some people rather spend the money on looks (wheels, stereo, paint) and some rather go faster (headers, supercharger, etc) thats what forums are all about! checking out other peoples rides. cant all be the same!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed the GC kit and..... Need some advice..