Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

High pitched whine sound coming from the tranny???

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High pitched whine sound coming from the tranny???

Hey guys,
I posted about this awhile back and I didn't get much luck as to an answer to my issue. Randomly, my car will sometimes whine from what sounds like the tranny or maybe the clutch. It's a high pitched whine sound and usually is triggered when I shift to 5th or 6th gear. While driving, I pulled the shift boot up to see if that's where it was coming from and it got louder. The sound seems to go with the speed of the car. If I speed up, it gets a little louder and if I slow down, it quiets down again. Usually just a complete stop and go again will stop it. It doesn't happen all of the time but it happens more often than I'd like it to.

Anyone have any ideas? My reverse synchro is a little screwed up. It was like that when I got it but everything else shifts like butter. Any average person would prob grind reverse in my car but after driving it for awhile and using it, I seem to have mastered using reverse now without letting it grind. Lol

Just trying to get an idea of what could be causing it. It's not a throwout bearing sound because the clutch pedal doesn't change the noise. I'm not ruling out the fact that it could still be clutch related though.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id call someone like Tick Performance(T56 builder) and ask them to help you out. They would know best and i dont think they are the kind to talk you into a rebuild if it doesnt need one.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the info man! That's a good idea! I called a buddy of mine that works as a transmission mechanic at the chevy dealer over here to ask him. He said without looking at it, there is no way to tell for sure. He said he would rebuild it for me on the side at his house for $500 if I pull it out and $600 if I just drop the car off. Pretty cheap IMO and he uses better than stock parts. I know I could use a reverse synchro but the rest of the gears are perfect. I doubt it really needs a rebuild. It's just weird that I have this random whine at times.

I was really just hoping someone here had experienced the same thing and could tell me what is most likely causing it if they ever figured it out.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Let me know if you find out what the problem is.. Mine does the exact same thing.. Its not all the time but just enough to bug the **** out of me! It seems like its ok until I get into the thottle then it starts happening and wont stop for a bit. I cant tell if its the tranny or if its coming from the rear end. Keep me posted if you find it. Thanks
Old 07-11-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't our cars have a center carrier bearing? That could cause a speed related whine. Not sure how to check but I believe it's been a issue in a few cars.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Silverstripe... I thought I was the only one! Glad to hear someone else is experiencing the same thing. My temporary fix is to turn the radio up a little louder but I'd really like to eliminate the problem. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

Gus... I'm hoping you are right about that. Sounds like a fairly inexpensive fix other than maybe the labor.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

our car whines from the center bearing just waiting for more options on a drive shaft seeing the stock replacement is $900

keith
Old 07-11-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Hmm... So it is driveshaft related? And the only option to fix it is a $900 replacement? That kinda bites.... Lol
Old 07-11-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

My cousin is a tech at a near by Chevrolet dealer and he strapped the chassis ears to the rear end thinking my 3rd gen diff was whining and it ended up being the bearing. Sucks replacing the whole shaft just to fix the bearing.....
Old 07-11-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Veteran

I was told these diffs do tend to whine. I don't think mine whines at all. It's doesn't seem to come from the rear of the car. It comes from around the shift boot area it seems.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Mine did the exact same thing. See my previous post.

My mechanic also stated that he believed it to be that damn carrier bearing. We may try to pull the driveshaft and see if that sucker can somehow be rebuilt.

LAW
Old 07-11-2010, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Any other known or possible fixes?

LAW
Old 07-12-2010, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'd think any decent driveshaft shop could fix/balance it for well less than $900. FWIW my 97 F-150 was about $220 for three u-joints, center bearing, and balance five years ago at a local driveshaft shop.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:21 AM
TECH Veteran

I suppose while replacing the carrier bearing, I'd want to do the u-joints as well and have it all balanced again?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

You sure its not the rear?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm 99% positive. If it were the rear, it wouldn't start doing it when I shift into 5th or 6th. It would be constant right? This sound starts sometimes in 3rd or 4th gear but it usually starts when im shifting to 5th or 6th for some reason like I said. And it doesnt happen everytime either.

When we lowered the car, I had my rear seats out and the noise wasn't any louder. It seems to come from the tranny area... Not from the rear.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
You sure its not the rear?
My mechanic checked it by putting his ear on the center arm-rest. I know it sounds silly, but when that noise kicked it and he had his ear on the arm-rest, you should have heard how loud it was!

LAW
Old 07-12-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
I'm 99% positive. If it were the rear, it wouldn't start doing it when I shift into 5th or 6th. It would be constant right? This sound starts sometimes in 3rd or 4th gear but it usually starts when im shifting to 5th or 6th for some reason like I said. And it doesnt happen everytime either.

When we lowered the car, I had my rear seats out and the noise wasn't any louder. It seems to come from the tranny area... Not from the rear.
No when the rear starts "whining" it is usually a certain mph range regardless of what gear you are in. Mine whines around 50-55mph give or take a few mph. It is quiet at lower speeds and quiet at high speeds. It will eventually get worse and whine for a greater range of mph...although sometimes it will never get worse.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah... I think my rear is silent.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

does it start whining earlier if you do some hard launches? try some out mine whines depending on how hard i drive it and if i hit a big bump in the road will set it off also...

Quick Reply: High pitched whine sound coming from the tranny???