Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Cam install........PITA OMG!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam install........PITA OMG!!

So, got all my delivered to me, and have everything ready for the install....install includes
*Cam
*Creative steel motor mounts
*Ported LS6 oil pump
*Springs/pushrods
*UUC Short Throw Shifter
*CAI
*Kooks Longtubes
*New Timing Chain
*etc, etc just the normal stuff that you would replace

So...I got to say, this car was the BIGGEST PITA to tear apart as any car I have ever worked on...just so you get an idea....we figured this would take about 6-7 hours, as I have a friend that has done cam installs about 6-7 times on his TA. There are 3 of us working on this at this time. We started around 1:00, and I just left at 10:00, and we still have not got the car completely torn down. Right before we stopped for the night, we were getting ready to take off the timing chain, ya havent even got the stock cam out yet.....We have the heads ready to go back in and everything....but we are still working on everything.

Just to give everyone an idea on how much a PITA everything was with us, 6 of the spark plug wires were torn to shreds by the time we got them out....the harmonic balancer did not want to come off at all, you know the 3 claw thing that you use to take it off? We had a socket on the end to make it longer, and we still ended up almost running out of threads on it, before it came off....oh and this was claw number 2, the first one we used, snapped one of the claws in half and we got it with the second one...I cant think of what else we were having issues with, but it was no good....so tomorrow morning on our way back over to friends shouse (basically a second house that is 95% shop and 5% house, has one room besides the shop, with everything in it lol) But hopefully we will get most of it, if not all, back together tomorrow and can get it done.

/end rant
Old 07-11-2010, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, the cam and heads took me about 6 hours, that was a PITA. MM and headers took me about 4 hours. It should go back together alot faster once you get everything out.

Good Luck.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Wish you would have taken pics and added a tutorial on the cam teardown/buildup. It would be nice to have a V to go off of instead of the ls1 cam install guide. As I'm still waiting to save funds to get it installed.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

youll be glad when its done...
Valve springs were the worst for me. it took me about 8 hours just to do those last time.. what a night mare without the nice tool
Old 07-12-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by maxspeed05V
youll be glad when its done...
Valve springs were the worst for me. it took me about 8 hours just to do those last time.. what a night mare without the nice tool
lol, talk about a nightmare we were doing those, in a shop that is about 1,000 square ft, and completely open, part of the shop has just junk everywhere, and the other part just has tool boxes and what not. When installing 2 of them, we lost our grip and the springs and all the parts went flying everywhere, talk about trying to find those little parts that flew all over the place lol

We were going to take pics and document everything, but we all got pretty frustrated, so I stopped in the middle lol
Old 07-12-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Why'd you take the heads off?

-Chris
Old 07-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Launching!

First rule is:
It ALWAYS takes longer than you think. I've started to double my time estimates and go with that because I like to take breaks. Your install was obviously going to take way more than 6 hrs since there were so many parts going in. Are you swapping heads?

Also sounds like you got a bad claw puller which can really be frustrating. Just keep at it and it'll be worth it once she's back together.

Having the right spring tool ahead of time will save literally hours.

I assume you had to remove the radiator and just lifted the condensor to get the cam in?
Old 07-12-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ITSAV
lol, talk about a nightmare we were doing those, in a shop that is about 1,000 square ft, and completely open, part of the shop has just junk everywhere, and the other part just has tool boxes and what not. When installing 2 of them, we lost our grip and the springs and all the parts went flying everywhere, talk about trying to find those little parts that flew all over the place lol

We were going to take pics and document everything, but we all got pretty frustrated, so I stopped in the middle lol
lol ya I did the same, Im glad patriot included a few extra retainer locks.

moveing the a/c coil is a pain to, I wish I just took it off instead of trying to work around it.

What specs cam are you running , and are you doing some work to the heads?
Old 07-12-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yea + 1 why in the living hell did you take the heads off?

cars in general take 3 times as long as you first plan lol. Hopefully it'll be worth it for you when it's done. Funny thing is i had a shop install my cam, melling oil pump etc and they could do the entire thing in about 6-7 hrs start to finish.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by itsslow98
yea + 1 why in the living hell did you take the heads off?

cars in general take 3 times as long as you first plan lol. Hopefully it'll be worth it for you when it's done. Funny thing is i had a shop install my cam, melling oil pump etc and they could do the entire thing in about 6-7 hrs start to finish.
My friend has done quite a few cam installs on his TA, and one of them basically didn't clear properly, and required his pistons to be fly cut, and didn't want that to happen.....so just to be safe we decided to just pull the heads, and make sure there was no issues at all......

and now for more news....got there today to "finish" everything up.....and we were having trouble getting the last bit of the cam out, so we decided to take the very top part off, to make sure there was nothing blocking it....and doing so, one of the bolts fell into the block My friend accidentally did it, and as he is helping me i couldn't really be too pissed.........so now we have pulled the motor out, and found the bolt....and are in the process of putting everything back on it while it is out of the car, which will make everything go A LOT faster putting it all back in. Good thing I have a spare car to drive, so its not too big of issue.

As for the cam specs:
226/230 .598”/.600” 113LSA +4 advance (with 1.7 ratio rockers)
Comp EPS/EPS lobes 54-000-11 3 bolt cam core
13117R/13118R HR113LSA +4 advance (109 installed intake centerline)
Old 07-12-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Hey you already have the heads off and the engine out... sounds like a good reason to stroke it and swap/port the heads while you're at it LOL
Old 07-12-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Hey you already have the heads off and the engine out... sounds like a good reason to stroke it and swap/port the heads while you're at it LOL
lol trust me, thats what everyone has said.......if I had the cash I'd be all over it lol
Old 07-12-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

lol trust me, thats what everyone has said.......if I had the cash I'd be all over it lol
VISA or MasterCard
Old 07-13-2010, 01:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much would it cost to stroke the LS6 and port the heads? And what kind of gain would just that give? Ride quality?
Old 07-13-2010, 03:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
How much would it cost to stroke the LS6 and port the heads? And what kind of gain would just that give? Ride quality?
What the hell does this have to do with anything???
Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Porting stock heads will gain you about 15-20 but thats gonna be with an aftermarket cam and most likely an aftermarket intake manifold.....oh and with long tubes.

as for ride quality your taking away weight by porting the heads so the ride will be less stiff......totally kidding.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rjwz28
What the hell does this have to do with anything???
if the car is a DD, most people dont want to ride to be harsh. still want to keep the cadillac ride, but with good power on tap. i know it was me, i wouldnt want a harsh ride everyday while i go to and from work. espically if you have a long comute and an *** load of traffic to drive through.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
if the car is a DD, most people dont want to ride to be harsh. still want to keep the cadillac ride, but with good power on tap. i know it was me, i wouldnt want a harsh ride everyday while i go to and from work. espically if you have a long comute and an *** load of traffic to drive through.
once again, what do ported heads and a stroked ls6 have to do with ride quality lol.

only thing i can think of is bucking and surging from a bad tune or a huge cam effecting ride quality since its a pain in the ***.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you dont have to pull the motor to get that bolt...ive had that happen before too and i just got a telecopic magnet and fished it into the hole the bolt fell in and it was out just as fast as it fell in...but if you want to pull the whole car apart...it'll be a learning experience
Old 07-13-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^ Thats excactly what I said. Those pen magnets from autozone saves my life everytime I work on a cars motor.

Quick Reply: Cam install........PITA OMG!!