Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What oil are you high mileage guys running?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What oil are you high mileage guys running?

I went to get an oil change yesterday. My car has 109k on it. I ended up running the regular mobil 1 5w30 synthetic again and a wix filter.

I noticed that mobil 1 offers a high mileage oil. What is the real difference between the two? My car has been running on the regular mobil 1 synthetic with absolutely no issues. Is it worth switching to the high mileage stuff for the next change?

Also, the computer said the car takes 6.5 quarts. After we put 6 in, I started it and checked the level. It was right in the middle of the stick where it should be. So... Does this thing actually need the full 6.5 quarts? Seems like it would be borderline too full with that extra half quart?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

I used Mobil 1 15W-40 turbo diesel truck oil. Its made for hard use and I use my car pretty damn hard sometimes, and by sometimes, I mean several times a day. I used five quarts of that plus a bottle of the Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer and haven't had any problems. The dipstick, like yours, reads exactly at the full mark. In fact, it seems to run smoother than when I ran the 5W-30 in it. 5W-30 seemed too thin for me considering I live in a place where it's regularly over 100 degrees and how I drive my car(like I stole the damn thing). I have 71K on it now and I'm racking up the miles pretty fast.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:39 AM
Launching!

High mileage oil has an additive in it to swell the seals to prevent oil leaking/weaping.

Molbil 1 uses a synthetic molecule which is more stable than "standard" mineral oil, but only offers advantages over "today's" mineral oil if you do not change your oil within 5K miles. Today's additive packages in mineral oil meet or exceed the requirerments when changing oil every 5k miles.

Either choice is fine and you will recieve many 'opinions' on this subject. Most people use the recommended oil. I suggest no matter what brand you use, check the API ratings.
You will find that Mobil 5000 has the same API rating (American Petroleum Institute) as most Mobil 1 oils except those used for trucks.

I use 'truck oil' and plan on putting 'truck' exhaust tips on the car in the near future.
And 'YES' . . . I have a LS2-V.
HEY . . . my truck oil has more zinc-dialkyldithiophosphate in it, but I've been using 'Series 3' type oil since 1967.
Oh, and what SimplistikTA said is true, but that oil does not need any enhancements. It's already in the oil.

Last edited by Stepside; 07-22-2010 at 07:41 AM. Reason: accidently hit post button

Quick Reply: What oil are you high mileage guys running?