Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Diff whine? Driveshaft center bearing? CV joint gone bad???? Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Diff whine? Driveshaft center bearing? CV joint gone bad???? Please Help!

Frickin A. I just spent the last couple days putting a new differential in my '04 only to discover that the exact same whine/hum is still there. The diff is brand spankin' new.

My car developed an odd whine/hum somewhere along a 200mi drive. The noise wasn't there when I left my house, but as I approached Schaumburg, IL I slowed down and heard a "decelerating" hum. I thought FOR SURE it had to be the whine that so many V owners have referred to, and seeing my diff had been leaking for a while, I knew it was low and assumed the gears where fried (I forgot to check the level before I left).

Well. After installing the new diff, the noise is still there. It's virtually silent up til 30mph or so then the noise starts to show itself. It sounds like an "accelerating" hum/whine as I speed up and a "decelerating" hum/whine as I slow down. Also, it sounds as though its coming from the rear of the car. I don't "think" its a wheel bearing because as I swerve left/right right/left the noise doesn't really change much.

Have any of you had symptoms such as these?

My best guess is that its the driveshaft center bearing. My dad (old school gear head) thinks it could be a CV joint going bad. We both considered a bad wheel bearing until we couldn't get the noise to change (it also is a hum rather than the warble you usually get with a bad bearing).

Thoughts?
Old 08-12-2010, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Check out the many posts, including mine, on the "driveshaft center-carrier bearing" issue.

LAW
Old 08-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Read up:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ng-tranny.html
Old 08-14-2010, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

good reads. i'm gonna check out the "triflo" fix tomorrow. hopefully this is it and it buys me some time.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Teching In

It works, Mine hasn't made a noise since I did it.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

I used the SeaFoam version of lube. It was called "______ creep" or something like that. Sprayed it down heavy...no issues since. I plan on making that a part of my normal oil change.

LAW

Quick Reply: Diff whine? Driveshaft center bearing? CV joint gone bad???? Please Help!