Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Spring cutting - a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Spring cutting - a few questions

I've done my research and found out that H&R springs will be available again very soon. Before I go and drop nearly $300 on new springs, I have a few questions about cutting springs (stock, or otherwise):

1) Is there a ratio of coils cut to drop achieved (IE 1 coil = 1" drop)? If so, does this ratio change with, say, H&R springs?

2) How much does/will the stock spring rate change with cutting of coils? Or does it change at all?

3) Any idea what aftermarket springs (H&R) spring rates are?

4) Are there "perches" that our springs sit in which would lead to improper seating of the spring if you didn't cut full coil(s) off? (I've read a few people say they've cut 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 coils off, but that strikes me as a possible issue)

5) How low can you go before the spring is just too short for the suspension travel and will just pop or fall out?

6) Has anyone been part of a comparison between a moderately 'cut' (no more than a 2" drop) stock spring's ride quality, and that of a V that's on un-cut H&R's?

I think that's about all I have for now ... thanks in advance to anyone who chimes in with some useful info!!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im not much help but spend the 300 and be done with it. I have read a few posts of people people unsatisfied with the ride quality after cutting springs.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

The only reason I'm considering the cutting idea is because I don't know if I'm going to be happy with just a 1" drop in the rear and 1.2" in the front (which H&R's claim to give). I think the front will be fine, but I don't want a 'rake', so I feel like the rear will have to come down a half inch further or so, since the rear is already a bit higher than the front with factory suspension.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

I had cut mine and it rode like complete garbage. The front is where it was really bouncy, the cut rears were no problem for me. I cut 1.5 coils front and back. Your are right about your perch question. The fronts, when cut, didn't sit in their perch correctly but didn't seem to cause any problems for me. It was just WAY too bouncy up front for me. I posted some pics on here somewhere of what 1.5 coils looked like.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

The spring rate will go up whenever you cut (or reduce the amount of available coils) off coils. This link has a handy calculator to help figure out exactly how much the spring rate will go up.

http://www.engineersedge.com/spring_tension_calc_k.htm
Old 08-31-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No experience on the V....I do know from experience on a Cobra after I cut the springs they never sat right in the perch. Had some squeaking once it rubbed a hole in the rubber pocket it was designed to sit in.....def had ALOT rougher ride....go across a bridge and she'd bounce for the next 1/8mile......I LOVE the looks of the V lowered but 8k a month behind the wheel, I'm not gonna sacrifice the ride quality.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tweeter81
The spring rate will go up whenever you cut (or reduce the amount of available coils) off coils.
With the increase in spring rate, the stock shocks (struts) damping rates are defeated, so without the needed increase in damping, bouncing occurs.

Generally speaking. the aftermarket springs have more forgiving rates with respect to the stock damping.

Better to do QA1 or AFCO coil overs if you have the extra cash laying around.

A handy book when you're fooling with suspension is Chassis Engineering (HP Books #1055) by Herb Adams.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:45 PM
Launching!

What exactly does an AFCO coilover set-up consist of? This is the first time I've ever heard anything about it.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is a pic of mine with H&Rs and mightymouse spacers. Just for your post about it not being low enough in the rear.

Edit: Damn I need to go darker on the tint lol, tested it at my work and it came out to 16% too.
Attached Thumbnails Spring cutting - a few questions-v-best.jpg  
Old 08-31-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Here is a pic of mine with H&Rs and mightymouse spacers. Just for your post about it not being low enough in the rear.

Edit: Damn I need to go darker on the tint lol, tested it at my work and it came out to 16% too.
Really?! That's just H&R springs and MM spacers? That looks a lot lower than I expected. Are those factory sized wheels and tires too? Also, what are your comments on ride quality compared to stock? My wife will FLIP if I put springs on the Caddy that make it ride like my Mustang did with Eibach's on it. lol Most I've heard from say that H&R's or Eibach's on the V really aren't any different from stock springs, but I want to make sure. I don't want my V feelin' like the Mustang did.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EdmundGTP
What exactly does an AFCO coilover set-up consist of? This is the first time I've ever heard anything about it.
They're a racing vendor (circle track) and don't have a specific package for us, but you can configure a setup just about any way you want, the component selection is up to you to design.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do not cut your springs... Thats that!

Do what itsslow98 has done, his V is beautiful!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Yah, like I said in my last post, I definitely didn't think that H&R springs alone would drop the car that much - that's exactly the look I want. I am still wondering about ride quality on those suckers though. itsslow - Did it change much? Which shocks does your V have? (mine are the ones with the solid border around the stickers - FG2's?)
Old 09-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Launching!

solid border = NOT FG2's..
Old 09-01-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks, I have FE4 shocks. Ride quality isnt any different then stock unless you hit a horrible road then its a bit harsher. On the highway and regular roads you would never know the difference. I had never had a lowered car before the V so i was a bit worried but Im glad I did it 100% now. The car even feels more planted to the ground. The only thing i reason I would not recommend lowering would be if you had to go over high speed bumps all the time. I do get the occasional scraping over the thin but tall speed bumps. the speed humps dont scrape at all though. If you have any other questions just let me know. I may have some different angles too if you want me to post them.

Oh BTW yes stock wheels just powdercoated and stock sized tires. I get absolutely no rubbing at all during turns in any way. When you turn the wheel you would swear itd rub but in the 6 months its been lowered it hasnt one time.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

itsslow98 - I really appreciate the info. I'm all over a set of H&R springs once they're available again (Sept. 5th). I can't wait! I thought the car had an aggressive enough stance from the factory, but once I started makin my way around the V forums and seeing pictures, I knew I would eventually give in to the urge to lower it. haha
Old 09-02-2010, 01:43 AM
11 Second Club

Who u guys plan on ordering ur H&R's from when they're available? Im lookin to get a set also.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

^^ Might have to pay more but if you go directly through H&R youll probably get them the fastest. Might be able to work out a deal if you can get a few people to all buy from them.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

From what I understood when I spoke directly with an H&R representative, H&R doesn't sell directly to the public at all. She advised that tirerack.com would have the product in-hand the quickest and would probably have the best price as well.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

i cut my stock rears because my GC was not low enough. not bouncy at all. passed the wifey test. now i did have one side pop out once. good thing i was close to my dads house. i was going thru a dip and it just popped out. i felt it right away. jacked it up and popped it right back into place!
oh and i cut 1.5 coils
Attached Thumbnails Spring cutting - a few questions-my-v-slammed.jpg   Spring cutting - a few questions-my-v-bike.jpg   Spring cutting - a few questions-my-ride.jpg   Spring cutting - a few questions-my-v-rear.jpg  

Quick Reply: Spring cutting - a few questions