Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

How many mounts/dismounts can a tire handle before damage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many mounts/dismounts can a tire handle before damage?

I'm asking because if a dilemma I find myself in currently. I'll soon have a set of winter tires for my car, but winter wheels are few and far between. Truth be told, my current wheels will be the winter wheels once I have the money to buy a different set of wheels for the summer months. In the interim until I have a second set of wheels, is it that bad for a tire to be mounted and dismounted a couple times? Is there a rule of thumb that a tire can handle "X" number of mounts and dismounts? Or, besides the cost of taking off and putting them on, is there no real issue with mounting and dismounting a tire a number of times?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-08-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

In all my years of playing with multiple cars I've never heard of anyone having issues with a tire because it was mounted or dismounted too many times. There are tons of people who mount and dismount tires for winter in New England; I'm sure there are tons of people who do it in Canada, too. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good reassurance - I just wanted to ask. I've heard some people say it's damaging to the tire to be repeatedly mounted and dismounted, but I can't see it being too big of an issue. The biggest issue would just be the cost. a few years of change overs would have you spending as much as you could have spent on a 2nd set of rims. But when I don't have the $$ to buy rims right now, I think I'll deal with the $50 to mount the winters on my existing wheels.

Quick Reply: How many mounts/dismounts can a tire handle before damage?