Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Alternator dies!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator dies!

The alternator **** to bed on me this morning on my way to Tewkskbury Mass the battery got me to work!

Bought 2 Batteries for the ride home. Now the car is sitting in the driveway till the new Alternator gets here tomorrow. While everything is apart im replacing the pressure line from the power steering pump I have had the new line for like 8 months...

Lasted a good amount of time 100,600 miles!

All work will be covered from my personal wallet Warranty!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

For what ever reason, GM alternators and fuel pumps seem to suck and fail earlier than most makes. Is 100k out of the alternator typical on these cars?
What about the fuel pump?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Mahn
Is 100k out of the alternator typical on these cars?
What about the fuel pump?
The engine accessories life is directly related to how high you rev the motor on a routine basis.

If you drive like grandpa with an occasional romp on the loud pedal, 100K+ should be no problem.

If you drive it like it's your parent's car, 100K if you are lucky and not routinely grounded.

The leading cause of death to fuel pumps is running the car low on fuel. The fuel acts as a coolant. Run it low and uncover the pump, it gets hot and will fail.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mitchntx
The engine accessories life is directly related to how high you rev the motor on a routine basis.

If you drive like grandpa with an occasional romp on the loud pedal, 100K+ should be no problem.

If you drive it like it's your parent's car, 100K if you are lucky and not routinely grounded.

The leading cause of death to fuel pumps is running the car low on fuel. The fuel acts as a coolant. Run it low and uncover the pump, it gets hot and will fail.
Yep, I know all that, but stand by my original statement. GM's have common issues with electrics. You can't predict and exact life, but someone with experience may be able to give a typical life.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

My alternator went at 80k miles.... and I beat the **** out of my V...
Old 09-16-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

The cars up and running again ended up having a wire issue too! Wouldn't charge much over 11.4 volts after the new alternator went in... The wire coming from the PCM to the alternator was bad and looked like it was on its way out for a while!

Quick Reply: Alternator dies!