Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

H&R install complete, noise from rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default H&R install complete, noise from rear

Completed install of H&Rs and FG2s. Used 1" spacers received from another member here. They were made specifically for adjusting the rear shocks. I followed the instructions on cadillacfaq: removed rubber donut beneath shock mount, installed spacer above rubber bushing above mount, inserted a sleeve of rubber in the hole vacated by the lower mount, inserted metal sleeve, tightened down to compress the rubber bushing above the mount. All other fasteners were torqued to spec and rechecked. I drove the car around the neighborhood, and when I went over a rut in the road I heard a sort of "SCHLOCK SCHLOCK" sound from the rear. So I went down a street that has speed bumps to see if I could cause the sound. On the down side of each speed bump, I'd get the "SCHLOCK SCHLOCK" sound. Sounded like it was coming from behind the seats, so that must mean the metal sleeve isn't secured properly.

What have you guys done to secure that metal sleeve? Is it acceptable that the shock boot protector is sitting right on the shock mount after the adjustment shown in the faq?
Old 09-19-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Was there a rubber washer with your shock kit?

How tight did you get the nut on the top of the shock? You should see the factory rubber bulging some after tightened.

You should be able to make your spacers work. there is also the mightymouse kit if you exhaust all your options and cannot fix it (and are sure it is the shock)
Old 09-19-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

No rubber washer. Where would it go, what are the dimensions, width/thickness/size of hole? The only rubber part I made was a rubber sleeve that went in the bottom of the mount, and slid onto the metal sleeve. The OEM lower biscuit had a rubber sleeve that slid up into the mount, so I replaced it with the one I made, as in the photos in the cadillacfaq. Should the metal sleeve be secured in there to prevent movement up and down? I compressed the OEM rubber spacer on the top of the mount, but not much.

I noticed that the rear of the car readjusted after some mileage. The rear sits a bit higher, but the car appears to have the same rake as with the original springs. I used plastic spacers on the front spring perches to increase ride height a little. I really don't want a substantially lowered stance, just a little. I still want to get a jack under the car, and don't want to scrape anything while driving.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The kit i used originally had a rubber washer that went right above the dust boot (since it has a metal top) it had a hole the size of the shaft and was slightly bigger then the diameter of the dust boot.

I didn't do anything special to the metal spacer (the small silver one that goes on the inside of the other parts), just put it back in the middle. The FAQ shows a little rubber added on the bottom of that, but i never did that.

You might just need to tighten the nut down some more. I know the instructions i originally had said that the rubber washer was probably not needed, but a few people had complained about a clunk, so it was included. If you could get a thin sheet of rubber it would be easy to make. You might even be able to cheat and make a rubber layer there with RTV (would be a little messier though)
Old 09-19-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

I've been going through threads to see what other people have experienced and done about it. I think I understand why a rubber washer is a good idea between the dust boot and the mount, but the mount has a rubberized exterior. It's obvious from photos I found that I didn't compress the upper rubber donut enough. I'll work on it tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

May be apparent now, but make sure to drive around a little next time before putting the back seat in to make sure there is no clunk.

At least this is easy to fix - only Mod-Heck
Old 09-20-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Regular

Yea, that was something I was thinking about while bolting the seat back on. I thought my research into the shock matter was thorough enough that it wouldn't happen. However, I chose not to compress the rubber bushing as much as other people. What I am going to do is get a piece of fuel hose to slip on the shock shaft down onto the metal sleeve, then tighten down the nut to compress the rubber bushing. That should keep the metal sleeve well secured.

The seat was surprisingly easy to remove. Also gave me an opportunity to get all the change rattling around under it, vacuum the area, etc. While the seat was out, I gave it a complete leatherique treatment.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lubelizard
Yea, that was something I was thinking about while bolting the seat back on. I thought my research into the shock matter was thorough enough that it wouldn't happen. However, I chose not to compress the rubber bushing as much as other people. What I am going to do is get a piece of fuel hose to slip on the shock shaft down onto the metal sleeve, then tighten down the nut to compress the rubber bushing. That should keep the metal sleeve well secured.

The seat was surprisingly easy to remove. Also gave me an opportunity to get all the change rattling around under it, vacuum the area, etc. While the seat was out, I gave it a complete leatherique treatment.
Yeah i didn't pull the seats when i did the spacer mod, but then when i switched to the mighty mouse kit, i did ,and wow, i was kicking myself about how easy that was to pull the seat out and have nice open access to the shocks.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had originally did the same mod to the shocks you did, after I installed the mightmouse kit my noise went away, I can only assume the clunk was because the car was riding on the shocks and not the spring.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nikon
I had originally did the same mod to the shocks you did, after I installed the mightmouse kit my noise went away, I can only assume the clunk was because the car was riding on the shocks and not the spring.
I don't think that is it, i am lowered with eibach's and i ran it first without spacers, then with the spacer insert (like you installed here) and finally mightymouse, i didn't have noise with any of those set-ups, so it might have just been something loose that you had to take off for the mighty mouse kit.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I'm having a little different noise issue. I installed H&Rs with the Mighty Mouse Kit. I love the way it s sits but am getting a nasty squeaking noise from the pass rear shock mount every time I hit a bump. I tightened everything up. I even loosened it all and sprayed WD in there and tightened it up again and its still squeaking. Any ides?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Crowned Customs
Ok I'm having a little different noise issue. I installed H&Rs with the Mighty Mouse Kit. I love the way it s sits but am getting a nasty squeaking noise from the pass rear shock mount every time I hit a bump. I tightened everything up. I even loosened it all and sprayed WD in there and tightened it up again and its still squeaking. Any ides?
WD40 is not really a good lubricant... it is actually a solvent... so i would avoid putting it on rubber.

It could be in the poly bushings that you added to the shocks, but i don;t see those moving much, you might try taking those out and greasing them good where ever they touch metal, use a grease meant for polyurethane (PTFE based greases seem to work good, some bicycle shops may have some as it is good for rebuilding shocks)

Do you have the bushings installed the right way? the little "steps" on the bushings should fit into the hole in the metal plate, not towards the washers that they sit on.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

crowned customs.. it is probably your spring rubbing on the body of the car where you removed the isolator.. or something in that area. shouldnt be any metal to metal movement at the top of the shock.

Quick Reply: H&R install complete, noise from rear