Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

cts-v or sts-v

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cts-v or sts-v

ok im in a pickle!
My heart was set on the 2007 cts-v! Well yesterday i drove a 2007 sts-v...and i was really impressed.
I know a little about both now through basic research...but as far as driving experience...im a bit short.
Im prob gonna get a biased answer considering this is a CTS-V section...but here i go...

Im looking for power with comfort. The sts-v seems to have more room, more features...and of course you cant beat the sound of a supercharger...that was the most badass thing about the sts-v. Ill be driving it a LOT in city traffic so an auto sounds great...however ill miss the 6 speed.
I have yet to drive a cts-v but im looking for the opportunity! Until then...
if you have driven both what are your thoughts...

also for the hell of it...brass tax...which has better times? Cant seem to find a straight answer. Not really looking to mod the car heavily. Being the fastest is not as important as it used to be lol
Iv heard that the sts-v pulls pretty darn hard compared to the cts-v. I know there are weight differences....
thoughts?? sell me the right car...cuz im pulling for the sts-v at the moment!
Thanks!
Adam
Old 09-20-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

STS-V has a lot of good point to the car. more power, but its a bigger car. STS weighed between 4200 and 4400 pounds, depending on what year. CTS-V weighed 3850 pounds, give or take depending on aftermarket changes. you can do a lot of work to get that the STS faster. but you will be limited in the fact that its a 4.4L V8. there is no replacement for displacement.

CTS-V has the edge in mods. since its an LSx bases engine, anything with engine internal you will be able to find fairly easy. and you will get a 6 manual to bang around, which is WAY more fun to drive then a Shiftable Auto. the gearbox is the big reason i went CTS-V and not G8 GT. G8 and the STS-V share the same tranny.

both are will be solid choice, and when you drive a CTS-V you will become even more torn. they both drive like bats out of hell, so you really cant go wrong. good luck bro.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Teching In

I too was looking at an 07 STS-V but was 6 hours away. Ended up buying a brand new STS AWD and love it. Plenty of room and such. Plenty of creature features on it and blows away my CTS-V in the luxury department. I bought an 05 CTS-V @ 1 month ago and it was also @ 6 hours away. Not ever driving a STS-V butI absolutely my CTS-V. I get in it and love driving it. I drive my STS like an man at times. Agreed with what Cole said above. Good luck. Cant go wrong with either one I suppose. I thought I would not wanna 6 speed. Now I love driving it. Will be disappointed in the winter as it will be hiding under a car cover in my garage.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Launching!

I've driven both. Since you said that you want 'power & comfort' . . well, both cars give you that. But, had you said 'power & luxury' . . then, it's a no brainer.
1. The STS-V is even more rare than the CTS-V.
2. City driving = Automatic.
3. Will anyone else be driving the car? Easier to abuse the drivetrain with a manual.
So, what color is that STS-V. I like the black ones with the black & red interior. Very Rare.
And, this is coming from a guy that chose a CTS-V over the STS-V. Why? Because, I wanted a toy that is more mod-able that would be a 'garage queen' in the winter.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

incredible asdvise guys thanks so much! I AM worried that driving the cts-v will make the decision even harder! I guess it just come down to driving it. I need to find a cts-v and drive it! Im sure that will atleast help a little bit. Im 6'3 and need the space however felt pretty comfy in my c6...
Like i said i wont be heavy into the mods...i want to keep it classy and subtle. My TA and vette had loudmouths and no cats...so thats what i base my subtlety off of lol

Thanks again for the good advise.
I guess i am looking for luxury...i am into the speed but not as much anymore...

does anybody have general track times for each? just curious
Old 09-20-2010, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

why not buy a cts-v2?

the sts is hard to mod isn't it?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

stock for stock a cts-v will take an sts-v especially the higher you go.

and yes, very very very little available mods to the sts-v.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

there is a guy on here that is 6'5 (edit: ^^^ thats the guy, haha) and he fits pretty good into the CTS. and says he is very comfy in there.

the STS does has WAY more luxury then the CTS. and i believe bone stock, both cars have very similar track times, with a slight edge to the CTS due to weight difference. the one benefit for you with the CTS will be the LS6/2 platform. with you other two cars, you will be very familiar with what to do and what to expect with everything (outside of the quirks unique to the CTS).

and i said i would go to crazy with the mods, and here i am trying to figure what to do next and speading more money, haha. but its worth it
Old 09-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Launching!

Some reading infor for you
http://cadillacfaq.com/gi/sts-vs-cts-v.html

I can't find the link but I remember reading where a guy owned both and did a detail description of driving both and how they compared....maybe someone else here may know. I do remember him saying that performance wise it was the cts-v that won but the comfort it was the sts-v that won.

You need to look at what you really want, I choose the cts-v because of a few reasons...still has the comfort and luxury of a Cadi but also has the performance of a Vette. Price was the other factor, the sts-v was way out my price range.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I too have looked at an STS-V. They are great cars. I'd love to have a STS-V as a daily driver and my modded CTS-V for weekend fun.

If you plan on modding it then go with the CTS-V, if its going to be your daily driver that you flog every once and a while do the STS-V.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whisler151
I too have looked at an STS-V. They are great cars. I'd love to have a STS-V as a daily driver and my modded CTS-V for weekend fun.

If you plan on modding it then go with the CTS-V, if its going to be your daily driver that you flog every once and a while do the STS-V.
I couldn't agree more....I'm 6'3"/235...I fit in the CTS just fine, although I did run across a STS-V at the gas station the other night...I said "man I'd love to have that car.........TOO" I want em both. Prolly keep the CTS till I can get a V2 or a STS-V and then maybe a C6 for my toy.....a guy can dream right?
Old 09-21-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Ya, I have no issues with the CTS-V being 6'2... now I can't talk for the back seat as I've only been back there once and didn't really have leg room on my mind... hehe
Old 09-21-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Ya, I have no issues with the CTS-V being 6'2... now I can't talk for the back seat as I've only been back there once and didn't really have leg room on my mind... hehe
ahahahaaaa....I hear ya...I had my seat back in normal driving position today and picked my 13yr old daughter and 3 of her friends up in the V. They all are around 5'2"-5'4"....I asked if everyone had room, they all said it's fine..just hit it one time when we take off....."I wanna hear it rumble" man o man....13 yr old daughter that lilkes the sound of a LS V8, whattaya do?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

you punch it a little, and then start teaching her all about LSx platforms. and then teach her how to race, and then she will make a lot of money. and you can then own every V made

Quick Reply: cts-v or sts-v