Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Squeaks, rattles, and how you fixed them?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Squeaks, rattles, and how you fixed them?

My 64k '05 has been squeak and rattle free until recently. I now have a loud one in the right rear sail panel/package tray area. Anyone have this rattle, and how did you fix it? Please feel free to comment on any other rattles you have experienced/fixed!
Old 10-26-2010, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

I dont have that one but I have one under the climate controls/in front of the shifter. Its only when my leg is laying against the console
Old 10-27-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like you need to have somebody else drive your car and ride in back, keep pushing/touching different area's until you get it to stop.

You might just have to take some of it apart and see if you can see what is rubbing.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gus_Mahn
My 64k '05 has been squeak and rattle free until recently. I now have a loud one in the right rear sail panel/package tray area. Anyone have this rattle, and how did you fix it? Please feel free to comment on any other rattles you have experienced/fixed!
I hear the same thing.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Usually to fix the problem I just turn the radio up and drive faster. The music and exhaust will drown out the noise
Old 10-27-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What is a package tray?

The sail panels will rattle like hell unless fastened down well. If it isn't on there real tight, it could be that. Washer fix is in order but you may want to insulate with a small neoprene washer as well, and don't overtorque because it can snap and be fubar.

Another rattle I found is the rear map light housing. it was loud and annoying! You have to take it off and put some of the foam tape stuff in there to create the pressure and prevent rattling.

I can say that some of the rattles I have found were coming from an area completely different than where I thought. Best thing is to have someone else drive her while you climb around like a monkey inspecting...

I found a new one yesterday...I thought it was the sunroof, but it ended up being change under the plastic piece that covers the rear seat bolt next to the console...change under the seats can be a pain..especially between the frame rails and console.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cadzilla
What is a package tray?
It's horizontal carpeted the area in back of the rear seats where the sub mounts. How do i remove the sail panels? Are there pictures of the washer repair online?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Me and another guy on here both have the creaky seat because were too damn big and the leather rubs up against the armrest and annoys the hell out of you. My fix = a tshirt in between. Damn is it annoying
Old 10-28-2010, 02:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's horizontal carpeted the area in back of the rear seats where the sub mounts. How do i remove the sail panels? Are there pictures of the washer repair online?
ah ok, the rear deck.

i dont remember if there are pics, you could search around here and the other forum...basically you have to carefully pry/pop the airbag tab to and go through hat hole get to the bolt that holds the panel on using a (magnetized) screwdriver style socket.
if it has any gap at all or is not tight it might be rattling.. just tap on it some, youll be able to tell.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Me and another guy on here both have the creaky seat because were too damn big and the leather rubs up against the armrest and annoys the hell out of you. My fix = a tshirt in between. Damn is it annoying
you can buy pieces of self stick black felt for about a buck a sheet.. ive cut a couple of small pieces and stuck it in places where the seats rub (usually on the backside or hidden part of the leather or plastic, -- just big enough to seprate contact area)... kills the squeak nicely. you could try a strip of this on the side of the armrest.

Last edited by Cadzilla; 10-28-2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

you can buy pieces of self stick black felt for about a buck a sheet.. ive cut a couple of small pieces and stuck it in places where the seats rub (usually on the backside or hidden part of the leather or plastic, -- just big enough to seprate contact area)... kills the squeak nicely. you could try a strip of this on the side of the armrest.
thanks for the tip I may have to try it, just couldnt think of anything that would look out of place, at least i can take the shirt out and youd never know haha. Ill definetly being going to get some felt today
Old 10-28-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

AHAHAA.....Okay....I'll admit...I'm the other "Too damn big guy". I tried the felt and I think I used too big of a piece, it rolled down. Imma cut a piece about half the size of the surface area and try that.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I get the coin tray noise by my right leg, though I'm not sure if it is coins in the tray or something else. I'm going to pop that whole panel off and use some of that thick foam tape to try to dampen the noises by preloading the parts that tend to rattle. I also get a rattle in the sunroof area when the sub is kicking. Its pretty annoying. I already fixed one in the mirror that vibrated it when the sub was working. I just disassembled it and squirted RTV where the mirror and autodimming panel mated with the plastic housing to dampen the noise.

Also, has anyone found a black rubberized paint that looks similar to the stuff that GM sprayed on the center console? The person who had my car before me must have had long fingernails or a watch or something because its pretty chipped up. I can see smooth black plastic where the matte rubber paint has chipped.

Also, has anyone ever found a fix for the chipping radio buttons besides spending an arm and a leg to replace them all? Is there a kit with ALL of the buttons in it somewhere so I can get all new ones? Mine are looking pretty horrible right now and I'm thinking of just painting them with some modeling enamel paint.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by killernoodle
I get the coin tray noise by my right leg, though I'm not sure if it is coins in the tray or something else. I'm going to pop that whole panel off and use some of that thick foam tape to try to dampen the noises by preloading the parts that tend to rattle. I also get a rattle in the sunroof area when the sub is kicking. Its pretty annoying. I already fixed one in the mirror that vibrated it when the sub was working. I just disassembled it and squirted RTV where the mirror and autodimming panel mated with the plastic housing to dampen the noise.

Also, has anyone found a black rubberized paint that looks similar to the stuff that GM sprayed on the center console? The person who had my car before me must have had long fingernails or a watch or something because its pretty chipped up. I can see smooth black plastic where the matte rubber paint has chipped.

Also, has anyone ever found a fix for the chipping radio buttons besides spending an arm and a leg to replace them all? Is there a kit with ALL of the buttons in it somewhere so I can get all new ones? Mine are looking pretty horrible right now and I'm thinking of just painting them with some modeling enamel paint.
I have the same issue with the area surrounding the shifter boot.....Looks like someone intentionally scraped the rubberized paint off...idk how you could ruin it on accident..THAT BAD...X1,000 on the radio *****...There was a guy who had a "budget ballin" post suggested to me that a vinyl shop could cut and round pieces to cover the *****...I just don't have a vinyl shop around.....The **** on my sunroof is shining light though as well.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
I have the same issue with the area surrounding the shifter boot.....Looks like someone intentionally scraped the rubberized paint off...idk how you could ruin it on accident..THAT BAD...X1,000 on the radio *****...There was a guy who had a "budget ballin" post suggested to me that a vinyl shop could cut and round pieces to cover the *****...I just don't have a vinyl shop around.....The **** on my sunroof is shining light though as well.
You could probably just spray paint the sunroof **** and nobody would notice, but the radio buttons are so friggin annoying.

Vinyl is a great idea. I might have to call someone about that.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea and another thread I saw the guy hand sanded the shifter surround then repainted it and it came out nice. Ill address all this in the spring since im gonna put mine away for winter.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Yea and another thread I saw the guy hand sanded the shifter surround then repainted it and it came out nice. Ill address all this in the spring since im gonna put mine away for winter.
WHA WHAAA WHAAAA...Are you gonna have it accessible so you can stop by and visit and rub her with a clay bar on a regular basis...Sucks *** for you guys that live in the cold weather winters
Old 10-28-2010, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

A really freaking loud exhaust system.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I still have the rear deck squeak/pop over sharp edge bumps. I have the rear deck out to install a pa15-vette. The noise is louder, but I still can't figure out from where the noise comes. I wonder if it's a broken spot weld? I may just spray silicone spray into all the seams and see if anything changes. Anybody have any new wisdom on this?
Old 11-24-2015, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

As much foam as you can put in between everything

Quick Reply: Squeaks, rattles, and how you fixed them?