Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What heads/cam do you recommend for street?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What heads/cam do you recommend for street?

Hey all,

What heads/cam setup do you recommend for a street car? Not looking for anything too radical, but a decent boost in power would be nice. I know they don't always go hand in hand . . .

How are the lingenfelter heads with their cam? Anyone running that setup?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Send stock heads out to TEA for a port and valve job, get a cam speced from Geoff at EPS, and grab a FAST 90/92 with matching throttle body, 42lb injectors. You should easily make 440-450 depending on cam size.

If you want an aftermarket head Texas speed has some good budget heads. I have also heard good things about TRick Flows 220cc heads.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:52 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

What is your budget? What mods do you already have? A H/C/I combo is always good...but what you should get will depend on what supporting mods you have or will do later on (headers, etc).

Is this your DD?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Only mods he really needs before heads/cam is long tubes. Otherwise no other mods are really necessary.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TEA stage 1's, Pat G EPS cam (224-228 on a 114-115), 1 3/4" LT's, ported TB, 36lb injectors. Best bang for the buck combo ide say. Should hit 420-30 no problem.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^^Bigger cam, youll want more after a week i guarantee it especially with a set of heads. Pat G always specs small cams.

Just remember this is a 4,000lb car with a driver in it.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Figured he'd wana keep some nice drivability, keep gas mileage from completely going to ****. Besides, have you been keeping up with the numbers he's been making with his small cams?? Quite impressive......
Old 12-28-2010, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FRiCK
TEA stage 1's, Pat G EPS cam (224-228 on a 114-115), 1 3/4" LT's, ported TB, 36lb injectors. Best bang for the buck combo ide say. Should hit 420-30 no problem.
How much would that cost minus a tune?
Old 12-28-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Figured he'd wana keep some nice drivability, keep gas mileage from completely going to ****. Besides, have you been keeping up with the numbers he's been making with his small cams?? Quite impressive......
i get 24 mpg hwy with my current setup, 16-17 city. Go ahead and go small and youll be kicking yourself for wasting money. My cam drives absoluetly stock and i already want to go bigger. He specs some good cams but going small in the V is a bad idea. MAxspeed did it and swapped it out after only a couple months.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:29 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Torquer V2 232/234 here on a 113. Probably should have went with a 112 but would have lost low end. I wish I went bigger. Only noticeable difference at idle is the sound. No fbody rock or rattle. I will be going bigger depending on my head purchase. Remember that a mild cam with great heads will make great power... A great cam with mild heads will make mild power.

Last edited by -T-; 12-29-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

224/230 .609/.588 111 and a set of TFS 220s as casts setup to run 11.5-11.8 SCR.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by -T-
Torquer V2 232/234 here on a 113. Probably should have went with a 112 buy would have low end. I wish I went bigger. Only noticeable difference at idle is the sound. No fbody rock or rattle. I will be going bigger depending on my head purchase. Remember that a mild cam with great heads will make great power... A great cam with mild heads will make mild power.
I agree almost the same cam as me and I want bigger just cant justify the money right now.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll be going with a "sleeper" 228 cam, as I want to pass smog here in Ca. But I'll agree, if now ide go with something like yours....

Cruising at 70mph I get 20, streets about 13.... I just don't get it lol
Old 12-29-2010, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll be going with a "sleeper" 228 cam, as I want to pass smog here in Ca. But I'll agree, if now ide go with something like yours....

Cruising at 70mph I get 20, streets about 13.... I just don't get it lol
this is 130 miles into a trip to northern jersey in almost 100 degree heat with the a/c on. I averaged 68mph the entire trip according to the average speed on the DIC. i can thank my tuner for this. Its a pic of the Nav saying 24.2 i dont know why it didnt upload right. i actually got 2 mpg more with the cam and long tubes then i did bone stock.......after the initial happiness of having the added power haha.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
mpg.bmp (285.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 12-29-2010, 12:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.advancedinduction.com/
I gave them a ring the other day and they say they can give a stock V with boltons 460 to the wheels.

GM's #243 or #799 LS6/LS2 head casting is the most sought after factory cathedral port casting. We actually designed and produced this port configuration several years ago specifically for Grand-Am Daytona Prototype competition where 230cc is the maximum port volume allowed. As our current race pieces are revised, we release these designs to the public. At a mere 15cc over stock volume this particular port sees gains of over 40cfm on the intake utilizing a factory GM 2.00" valve. This package has found great success amongst enthusiasts seeking area under the curve, phenomenal throttle response, and no loss in drivability. It has also shown excellent potential in drag applications. With the small intake runner we've seen 6L F-bodies run 10.8's on pump fuel at 3400lb with streetable cams. More recently Rick Leininger's 5.7L GTO took the NA stock shortblock record after swapping to our 226cc LS2. Below you will find several offerings based on this head. All are outfitted with components we know to exhibit both excellent capacity for performance and industry leading longevity for daily use applications. If you would like a quote for machinework only on parts you already own or are looking for a set of components not listed please don't hesitate to contact us. If you have a set of complete 243 or 799 cores to have work performed on please subtract $550 from the packages below.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by babrown18
http://www.advancedinduction.com/
I gave them a ring the other day and they say they can give a stock V with boltons 460 to the wheels.GM's #243 or #799 LS6/LS2 head casting is the most sought after factory cathedral port casting. We actually designed and produced this port configuration several years ago specifically for Grand-Am Daytona Prototype competition where 230cc is the maximum port volume allowed. As our current race pieces are revised, we release these designs to the public. At a mere 15cc over stock volume this particular port sees gains of over 40cfm on the intake utilizing a factory GM 2.00" valve. This package has found great success amongst enthusiasts seeking area under the curve, phenomenal throttle response, and no loss in drivability. It has also shown excellent potential in drag applications. With the small intake runner we've seen 6L F-bodies run 10.8's on pump fuel at 3400lb with streetable cams. More recently Rick Leininger's 5.7L GTO took the NA stock shortblock record after swapping to our 226cc LS2. Below you will find several offerings based on this head. All are outfitted with components we know to exhibit both excellent capacity for performance and industry leading longevity for daily use applications. If you would like a quote for machinework only on parts you already own or are looking for a set of components not listed please don't hesitate to contact us. If you have a set of complete 243 or 799 cores to have work performed on please subtract $550 from the packages below.
huh???? ported heads, fast intake and cam? not sure what you mean by bolt ons but heads/cam are not bolt ons IMO.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wow quite the discussion going on here.

I don't mind a bit of an aggressive cam, I just don't want anything too radical. Yes, its my DD. I don't need crazy power or anything, but just want to pep it up some. I go from driving my mustang to this, and while the Caddy feels/drives awesome, it doesn't have the OMG feel the Saleen does.

Do the TB's really make a diff on these cars? I know on the Stangs that unless you go FI, the power gains from a bigger TB are pretty minute.

I'm not partial to aftermarket heads, I just want whatever is going to work best and give me good gains. If they can make the stock heads do what I want, I'm all for it.

Budget . . . haven't really thought about what I want to spend yet. This will PROBABLY wait awhile as I'd prefer to buy a house first. I'd probably be comfy with about 3k or so. I know many will ultimately say to save for forced induction, but we already have a Turbo and Supercharged setup, and would love to keep this one all N/A.

Mileage . . . not TOO worried, but it certainly is nice being in the 24-25 range at highway speeds in 6th. By the time I do the upgrade I won't be driving but more than 5-10 mins to work. Right now its about 1.15 hours each way.

The car currently has the K&N intake and Corsa Catback exhaust. I DO need to keep it EPA legal with cats.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by itsslow98
huh???? ported heads, fast intake and cam? not sure what you mean by bolt ons but heads/cam are not bolt ons IMO.
What simple bolt ons are dude.. headers, cai, catback etc. with those and the AI head and cam package, they say they can give you 460ish to the wheels.. pending on how good the tuner is... sorry for not being clear with u id assume u knew what bolt ons are.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Wow quite the discussion going on here.

I don't mind a bit of an aggressive cam, I just don't want anything too radical. Yes, its my DD. I don't need crazy power or anything, but just want to pep it up some. I go from driving my mustang to this, and while the Caddy feels/drives awesome, it doesn't have the OMG feel the Saleen does.

Do the TB's really make a diff on these cars? I know on the Stangs that unless you go FI, the power gains from a bigger TB are pretty minute.
If you wanna do a FAST intake you have to do a 90mm TB btu the fast and 90 will gain about 20-25rwhp from a heads/cam setup
I'm not partial to aftermarket heads, I just want whatever is going to work best and give me good gains. If they can make the stock heads do what I want, I'm all for it.
Id get the stock heads ported they are great heads already and TEA does great work from what ive read, or advanced induction.Budget . . . haven't really thought about what I want to spend yet. This will PROBABLY wait awhile as I'd prefer to buy a house first. I'd probably be comfy with about 3k or so. I know many will ultimately say to save for forced induction, but we already have a Turbo and Supercharged setup, and would love to keep this one all N/A.
For $3k it aint gonna happen even if you do your own work. Your gonna need ported head(1500 all said and done), cam and supporting parts(about 800-1200 depending on what you get...high volume oil pump etc), long tubes are really a must with heads/cam, injectors, dyno tune. so parts alone your looking at over 3k. I would keep the stock ls6 manifold and port the stock TB, that way down the road you can add a FAST and pick up good power when you want more.Mileage . . . not TOO worried, but it certainly is nice being in the 24-25 range at highway speeds in 6th. By the time I do the upgrade I won't be driving but more than 5-10 mins to work. Right now its about 1.15 hours each way.

The car currently has the K&N intake and Corsa Catback exhaust. I DO need to keep it EPA legal with cats.
Originally Posted by babrown18
What simple bolt ons are dude.. headers, cai, catback etc. with those and the AI head and cam package, they say they can give you 460ish to the wheels.. pending on how good the tuner is... sorry for not being clear with u id assume u knew what bolt ons are.
You never mentioned what AI was doing to get 460, it sounded like there port work on stock heads and bolt ons was gonna net you 460rwhp.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Whats the advantage on spending 1500 on porting my own heads, when Lingenfelter sells their ported heads for a little over 1k? At least then I could sell my own heads if someone wanted them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What heads/cam do you recommend for street?