Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

NASA Time Trial 'Build'

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New pic:
Old 06-04-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What happened at the dealership? Did they take any responsibility for screwing stuff up? Cutouts look good.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So now that it's two and half years later, how about an update?

Since then, I really haven't made it to the track at all due to work getting in the way. I also will be away for all of this upcoming track season as well. That said, I do plan on hitting the track as much as possible in 2015. I now live in the DC area, so it will be a new set of tracks for me to go along with a bunch of new parts for the car. Some of which are enough to bump me out of TTB all together.

Furthermore, the NASA Time Trial format has changed some as well. Without going into a lot of detail, TTA has gone away and been replaced with a power/weight (no more points) TT3 class. With the new mods, I'll be forced into this format. I really have no idea if I'll be competitive at all, but that remains to be seen (I might not even remember how to drive at this point...).

So, in case anyone is interested in seeing any more of my build, here it goes...

Originally Posted by GhettoTy
What happened at the dealership? Did they take any responsibility for screwing stuff up? Cutouts look good.
Nope. Good news is that since I now live in DC, I can go to Lindsay Cadillac for anything like this in the future. I haven't been there yet myself, but everything I've heard about them has been positive.

Suspension changes...

I'm now running the Hotchkis sway bars (F/R) along with Z06 endlinks up front. I currently have some clunk up front that may be in part due to worn out bushings as I bought these bars used. I've already picked up a new set that is yet to be installed. No pictures of these bars, but they're a standard well known part.

Also, yet to be installed are all of the currently available suspension bushings from the two main manufacturers for our cars (Revshift and Creative Steel). Being that they're not on yet, I'll hold off on going into which bushings from which company. That said, I do have a set of the Creative Steel trailing arms on the way. Also planning on picking up a set of the tie rods when I get back to the US as well.

Back to some parts that are installed (and some pictures!). I also picked up a set of the LG Motorsports coilovers. Really nice product here. (700 F/ 400 R)

Here's a few pictures of the coilovers uninstalled:

Here's some dirty, worn out FE4s (115k miles and 30ish track days).

And the coilovers on:

Thoughts and impressions. I love how these are put together. I took shitty pictures, but try to notice the nice bearing type uppers and lowers on all four. The ride around town is actually a lot smoother than before (obviously my worn out FE4s is a bad comparison, but still). At the same time, everything feels nice and firm. I haven't been able to try them out on track yet, but I would recommend them for street use as the ride is firm but not overly harsh even over rough roads.

Added bonus is that these weigh less than the stock components. The coilovers are .8 pounds lighter each in the front and 8.6 pounds lighter each in the rear. Bathroom scale method.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's how the car is currently sitting with the coilovers:

As you can see, I've also since had the windows tinted 5% on all windows except the windshield, added the CF look V flag decals and the ebay dual halo headlights. Here's another shot of those lights:

I don't think I've ever taken any pictures with the lights illuminated...

Last edited by UnsafeAtAnySpd; 02-22-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Other than the parts already mentioned, I have a bunch more waiting to be installed as well. I went ahead and picked up all four of the SKF STS hubs that have been documented elsewhere. These were pretty expensive, but I'm probably due for replacement anyway (up front at least).

And since more brake is generally a good thing, I also have a set of the V2 calipers. This is another part that was due for a refresh anyway. My stock front calipers are looking pretty rough honestly. I haven't decided on which route I want to go for the rotors yet, but the calipers look awesome. I think the yellow on black will look great.

Going along with the upgrading worn out parts theme, I have a new rear end waiting to go on as well. As far as I know, my car still has the original diff. While it still works, it whines so bad that I can hear it over the open cutouts at times. So, here's the geforce 9" rear kit:

Old 02-22-2014, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another big modification that's been done to the car is a welded roll bar, seat and harness install. I've wanted to do something for awhile with the seats for use on track as the stockers aren't the best with minimal bolstering. The CG Lock is a great product and I would recommend it to just about anybody for street or track use, but I would still struggle to stabilize myself in the seat on track. My right knee would actually be sore by the end of the day from attempting to brace myself against the center console stack. This is where the seats and harnesses should help a lot. Furthermore, I wanted to step up the safety factor 'just in case' (knock on wood), so I thought the roll bar would be a good investment along with a full race suit setup that I have since purchased as well. Added chassis rigidity is always a plus too.

After considering cost, weight and height concerns (my helmet would hit the headliner with the stock seats), I decided upon a couple Sparco Evo seats with Schroth Clubman harnesses.
http://www.sparcousa.com/product/evo
http://www.schrothracing.com/competi...an/clubman-III

And on my bedroom floor:

The Sparcos not including the brackets are 19 pounds each. The stock seats weigh 76.2 pounds (again bathroom scale weight). When I pulled the passenger seat out, I thought it might be easier to go out the back door having no seat back there or anything. Bad choice. Anyway, that thing was awkward to get out either way.

Here are a few poor quality pictures with the seat just sitting there.

The fire extinguisher will have to be remounted to the roll bar.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For the roll bar, I decided go with Hanksville Hotrods in Denver (http://www.hanksvillehotrods.com/). I've known Hank for awhile as he's the lead tech/safety inspector for NASA Rocky Mountain. I've seen quite a few cars with his cages in them and people I've talked to have been quite happy with the shop's work.

Not that the point issues apply anymore on this build, but here's what the Time Trial rules have to say about roll bars:

H. ROLL CAGES:
4-point roll bar and 6-point (two main hoop, two rear brace, two forward hoop) roll cage designs
constructed per the NASA CCR may be utilized without a TT Modification Point assessment.
Two additional attachment points for either two foot-well bars or two bars to the front firewall
(one on each side) may be added without a TT Modification Point assessment. Additional bars
and/or gusseting within the structure of the cage are permitted without a TT Modification Point - 35 -
assessment. Gusseting of the 6 (CCR) attachment points listed above is permitted without a TT
Modification Point assessment provided that the gussets are attached to the tube no further than
six (6) inches from the end of the tube, and to the chassis no further than six (6) inches from the
end of the tube where it terminates at the plate. Up to three additional attachment points solely
for the purpose of bars connecting “NASCAR” style driver-side door bars to the rocker panel are
permitted without a TT Modification Point assessment. Additional attachment points within the
driver’s compartment that exceed these allowances are also permitted, but will be assessed points
as follows:
1) One or more bars that penetrate the front bulkhead/firewall +2
2) Any other attachment point to the chassis +2
(Note: It is considered a safety hazard to cut through bars without removing them in order to
avoid the Modification Point assessments above.)
These pictures are courtesy of Hank during the seat bracket fabrication process:

After the brackets were squared away, progress began on the roll bar itself:
Some progress. Looks like I'll finally have my car back next week.

Everything was looking great at this point, and after talking to Hank I decided to have them incorporate some added tubing for additional stiffness. They added an X brace as well as building a strut tower brace into the design. And with that, after paint, here is the finished product:

These are with all windows up:

And down:

Here's an attachment point for the main hoop:

It's hard to see here, but there are actually three separate attachment points per side in the rear.

Here's where the hoop supports attach:

And the strut brace and X bracing (the loose nut pictured has been addressed):

Windows are open in these pictures. Bracing would probably be visible in direct sunlight:

The cross point of the X brace is low enough that a side of it is just barely visible in the rear view mirror along with the diagonal bar of the hoop. Which is nice to not have the view obstructed. Checking over my shoulder for blind spots while different now because of the seating position/harnesses, isn't obstructed either by the bars.

On the topic of seating position, it is drastically different than before as these seats are mounted low and a bit further back than where I had the stock seat set at. It took some getting used to, but now I like the positioning, even on the street. Curbs and parking lot lines are a pain as I can't see them but it's a fairly minor inconvenience. I actually moved across the country with this setup and found it to be a comfortable trip. My girlfriend on the other hand hates the seat and harness. She's only about 5' and under 100 pounds so she can't see over the dash (lol), the harnesses dig into her neck a bit and are a pain in the *** for her to put on and wear properly. I didn't really intend for this car at this point to be driven much on the street anyway though, so I'm okay with it...
Old 02-22-2014, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

double post

Last edited by UnsafeAtAnySpd; 02-22-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

While the lights don't have any impact on the track performance of the car, I don't think I've ever taken any pictures of them on until today. I figured I'd post them in this thread anyway. I couldn't really capture them well with my cell phone showing the differences between parking lights, low beams on, highs, etc., but here are a couple pictures of the headlights with the fogs. I have also purchased the ebay clear diffused fog assemblies to go back to a more stock look there. Again, these parts are in storage waiting to be installed. Anyway, in case anyone was interested...

I really need to black out those grills...
Old 02-23-2014, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Love everything about this, especially the roll bar and seats.
Hope you can get back to the track soon.
Did you ever address the cracked brake rotor?
Old 02-23-2014, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xtrkestrel
Love everything about this, especially the roll bar and seats.
Hope you can get back to the track soon.
Did you ever address the cracked brake rotor?
Thanks. I know a lot of this isn't the most popular and I'm "ruining" the car in a lot of people's eyes (I did ruin my first V that I totaled ), but I don't really care. This car has a rebuilt title (which was a good deal back in Jan '08) and is just about to hit 120k miles so it's not worth much anyway. For me, it's fun and unique so I enjoy modding this car.

As for the rotor, it hasn't gotten any worse from driving on the street. I'll have the V2 calipers with new rotors on before it hits the track again, so I'm not too worried about it.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Teching In

I'm sure you know that the paint on the calipers won't last long when the calipers get hot.
Turns a nice brown color.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xtrkestrel
I'm sure you know that the paint on the calipers won't last long when the calipers get hot.
Turns a nice brown color.
Yeah, we'll see if the larger units hold up any better. My current front calipers used to be silver

Old 02-24-2014, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We used to call those "Brownbo's" on the Subaru.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks good. I like the license plate (had the same one on mine)

Looking forward to hitting Summit Point with you if Luke does a VDay 6...
Old 03-02-2014, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as odd as it may seem like the headlight washer units, if those aftermarket ones had it i would jump on board.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Junior-1
Looks good. I like the license plate (had the same one on mine)

Looking forward to hitting Summit Point with you if Luke does a VDay 6...
Yeah, I'd love to check out your car. What NASA region do you race in?

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
as odd as it may seem like the headlight washer units, if those aftermarket ones had it i would jump on board.
That is odd. So, I take it like like the mess they make on your hood. lol

I always thought they were cool how they popped out like that. I remember when I got my first V, I didn't know about them and was confused why my headlights would seem to dim when using the washers.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
Yeah, I'd love to check out your car. What NASA region do you race in?
North East
Old 03-16-2014, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the car went into storage today with just over 120k miles. As soon as it comes out, though, I plan to get all of these parts I've mentioned installed. Possibly some more to go along with them...

Also, if anybody could measure from the lowest point of the stock seat cushion (where you sit) to the headliner with the seat in the lowest position, that would be great. My seats give 39.75" with this measurement.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was just looking through this thread. It's been three months since I've seen my car. I miss it.

Quick Reply: NASA Time Trial 'Build'