Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Custom short shifter $70 >

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Custom short shifter $70 >

Hey everybody I got my hands on a couple of shifters and will be modifying them. You have all seen the mod... its just a pipe welded to the bottom of the shaft. It works great!! This is primarily for the people that dont have an access to welder/machine shop. You use all of your original bushings.

Options:

Stock height / 30% less throw for $125 shipped/insured
Stock height / 30% less throw / upgraded lower bearing for $145 shipped/insured
1" shorter stalk / 30% less throw for $145 shipped/insured
1" shorter stalk / 30% less throw / upgraded lower bearing for $165 shipped/insured

Here is the kicker... If you return me your old shifter stalk I will refund you $30

Also if you want a certain thread instead of the stock shifter **** connection so you can put on your own shift **** it will be $10 extra

So at the end this is what you will pay:

Short shifter with same height: $95
Short shifter with 1" shorter height: $115

Short shifter with same height new sealed ball bearing bushing: $115
Short shifter with 1" shorter height new sealed ball bearing bushing: $135

IN STOCK:
- NONE

It will also come with bolts to mount it back on after your drill out the rivets.

SHIPPING TO LOWER 48 US STATES UNLESS ARRANGEMENTS ARE MADE PRIOR TO SALE.

SHIPPING CORES BACK
On every shipment I am including a Flat Rate USPS Padded envelope. The shifters that I have been getting back have almost been lost due to poor packing. You still have to purchase postage but use the enclosed padded envelope when returning your core. If you don't have a padded envelope please pack the shifter core really well so that it doesnt puncture/rip through your packaging.

I dont know if I this is ok with the mods the way I posted in this forum. If this is the incorrect forum please lead me to the right direction.

thanks

SHIFTER INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
http://www.trafficjams.ca/Performanc...9SuedeKnob.htm

Insurance: (27Jul)
All packages will inlcude shipping insurance up to $200. The price increase will be $4 to the shifters. Sorry for the price jump.

Core refund change notice!!
I am changing the refund core to $30 b/c I can get new whole shifter assemblies for the same price. Don't worry. Those of you who have already paid for your shifters as of today (17May11) will get the original $50 that I had stated. I hope this doesn't change potential buyers minds b/c at the end price of $90 and $120 for a short shifter is still cheap.

Disclaimer:
I am not responsible or liable for installation fees/mishaps associated with this sale. I am only providing you with a modified shifter in good working order. This shifter does not come with any written or implied warranty. Install at your own risk.

Bushing Update/Upgrade:
So I upgraded the current shifters I have on sale with sealed ball bearing bushing for the lower portion of the shifter. If you have my modded shifter already I can ship you the bearings, stainless steel washer and bolt/nut. This does away with the need of tightening the bolt "just right" to prevent binding.

If you already have my modded shifter all you have to do is drill the lower hole out 11/16" b/c the current bore is 5/8". PM me if you want more details.

New sealed bearings, nuts, bolt and washers $25 shipped if you want to upgrade my shifter that you purchased before this upgrade.

If you have a stock shifter and want to do this you can but the lower portion of the stock bore is a little thin and I have only done this to to shifters I have modified.

Here are pics of the update/upgrade.

Last edited by azn2dmax; 10-11-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sign me up! Im at Osan ridght now on a deployment so i will not be able to send mine to you for a while
Old 05-03-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Photos?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Pics of the actual unit. Before and after installed.

Pic Folder

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...ort%20Shifter/

Shifter end:

Whole shifter: (this one is shortened and modified

Very simple as I said. I am only offering this b/c some people dont have an access to a machine shop / welder
Old 05-04-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

This is the exact same way I made my shifter, cheap and it works great.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So I take it the bushings going somewhere in the linkage? Not on the actual shifter? Any way to get a solid piece of metal, weld it on, and run the desired/most popular die over it, for more **** options?
Old 05-04-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

No, where the bushings are right now is where they go. It was originally in the empty space. Lengthens the end of the shifter to make shifts shorter.

I can weld a "popular" size tread to the end to the shifter also so you the user can add your "popular" shift **** on.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm thinking I'll take one in stock height, that way I can trim however much I want off, all shift ***** sit different. Maybe a piece of all thread? That way it's customizable??

Call me crazy. But I'm putting a 03-04 Mach 1 **** on. They're the ****. Just have to find one with a 6 pattern on it or blank.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

No problem. Like I said I have one stock height one ready to ship. Send me a PM and I will give you Paypal info.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

FRiCK do you mind me asking a question? I see you already have a PISNUOFF shifter in your sig why another / different shifter?
Old 05-04-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I actually don't have his shifter. Had one lined up used and it fell through, never edited my sig. Sold my TMW to another V buddy.

I've made my decision on a **** as well, I'll be using the 03-04 cobra ****. It's leather with a silver top and has the correct pattern on it. You can get them for $40 all day, as opposed to $200 or whatever they want for a V2 ****.

I'm confused with the bushings. So with your shifter we don't need bushings? Are they included? Do they go into the base of the shifter or somewhere else in the linkage? My shifter is VERY sloppy which leads me to believe/hope the stockers are done for.

Last edited by FRiCK; 05-04-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ide like a stock height shifter with a piece of 12mmX1.75 all thread welded on the top of the lower portion of the shifter. That way I can cut off as much as I want to get my desired height. How much do I paypal you?

This will look great in a V...

http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php...351aca4553c448
Old 05-04-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FRiCK
I actually don't have his shifter. Had one lined up used and it fell through, never edited my sig. Sold my TMW to another V buddy.

I've made my decision on a **** as well, I'll be using the 03-04 cobra ****. It's leather with a silver top and has the correct pattern on it. You can get them for $40 all day, as opposed to $200 or whatever they want for a V2 ****.

I'm confused with the bushings. So with your shifter we don't need bushings? Are they included? Do they go into the base of the shifter or somewhere else in the linkage? My shifter is VERY sloppy which leads me to believe/hope the stockers are done for.
I think you are referring to the UUC poly bushings, they go on the linkage just to the left and right of the shifter, NOT the shifter stalk itself. If you order the UUC bushings, and you should they make a world of difference, it is very clear where they go and the install is simple. The short throw shifter combined with UUC poly bushings will make you fall in love with your car all over again.

The plastic bushings at the end of the shifter stalk (pictured above) can go bad and eventually lead to a little slop. But the majority of the slop comes from the rubber bushings that the UUC poly ones replace.

azn2dmax, if you could source a bearing that would replace the stock plastic shifter bushings I'd buy them.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GulfM3
I think you are referring to the UUC poly bushings, they go on the linkage just to the left and right of the shifter, NOT the shifter stalk itself. If you order the UUC bushings, and you should they make a world of difference, it is very clear where they go and the install is simple. The short throw shifter combined with UUC poly bushings will make you fall in love with your car all over again.

The plastic bushings at the end of the shifter stalk (pictured above) can go bad and eventually lead to a little slop. But the majority of the slop comes from the rubber bushings that the UUC poly ones replace.

azn2dmax, if you could source a bearing that would replace the stock plastic shifter bushings I'd buy them.

I want it all replaced when indo the job. The bearing idea is great! Don't know why it's not that way to begin with, I see no down sides to that.

***OR.... The shifter itself is already metal on metal I'm assuming? Where the stalk attaches to the linkage. Why take a solid piece of steel in the same diameter, drill press it out accordingly and run it that way?? Maybe a dab of grease upon instal?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great idea! Ill be hitting you up in a few months...
Old 05-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

I want to do this how fast can you get me the short throw?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JimmiB
I want to do this how fast can you get me the short throw?
X2

With 12mm X 1.75 all thread.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

So this is the wait list so far and please tell me if this is correct:

1) FRiCK: Short throw but with 12mm x 1.75 thread instead of the factory ****
2) enavorotta: short throw w/ 12mm X 1.75 thread instead of the factory ****
3) ssblackss00: short throw w/ 1" off with facotry ****
4) JimmiB: short throw w/stock height

Maybe:
1) BUKSING:
2) adanieljohnson1

If that is correct PM me your Paypal address and I will send you an invoice. The ones I will be modding with the threads I will make the stock height and you can cut off how much you would like the height to be.

I have one short shifter at stock height available to ship right now if anyone wants it.

Last edited by azn2dmax; 05-05-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

To answer the question about putting a bearing in place of the plactic sleeves is that I heard that there will be added vibration to the shifter stalk. I didnt want to do extremely custom shifters just a cheap alternative to whats out there.

To answer a posters question "is the stalk is one metal piece?" No it is not. It is two metal pieces but sort of like a rubber bushing holding the two together. So its actually a two piece stalk. Once again it was made this way to help lessen vibration.

It does feel like a different car after installing mine in. I'm comtemplating whether or not I should've stayed at the stock height for a little more leverage in the shifts but it still works great.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Paypal:

smf04@comcast.net

So I'm gonna have a good ~3" of 12mmX1.75 to work with on top, right? Just making sure were on the same page. Lol

Quick Reply: Custom short shifter $70 >