Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Disturbing noise from Magnacharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 03:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Disturbing noise from Magnacharger

I just purchased this car two weeks ago... It's got ~64,000 miles and has had the Magnacharger on since ~20,000 miles. I checked the car out and was pleased with the overall condition... everything looked and sounded fine. Over the past week I've noticed a disturbing noise that is definitely coming from the Magnacharger and I'm not sure if it's me getting used to the car or there is a problem beginning... sounds very scratchy and rattles. To me it sounds like a bearing... It's very evident with the hood open and to a mechanic or "car guy" evident with the hood down. It doesn't appear to be noticeable when I'm driving and the whine isn't out of the ordinary. My question is are these symptoms of bearing failure/rotor problems or is this a typical noise? I don't know much about the system... is there a separate lubricating system specifically for the SC that I need to check? Is 40,000 miles a long service life? If I need a rebuild what should I expect price wise? Any input and help would be much appreciated... I'll try to upload a sound clip tomorrow
Old 06-11-2011, 06:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Eaton rotors do have their own oil. I don't know about the aftermarket, but the oil change frequency on my Buick V6 was 100k miles.

The CTS-V kit also uses a jackshaft, which would of course have bearings.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend taking the belt off, and checking the pulley for any excessive play in it. That would be a good clue if your bearings are going out on it.

Also, drain the oil on the unit and check for metal shavings.

-meaty
Old 06-11-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

The V magnachargers are pretty notorious for have jackshaft bearing failures. I would stop driving the car until you locate and repair the bearing. The worst case I have seen is the bearing locking up on the aft end of the shaft and actually twisting a carbon fiber jackshaft into two pieces taking out some wiring as well. A new jackshaft is about $250. A new bearing is only $15. It only makes sense to fix it before it's too late.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

Yep have that bearing replaced.............will save you in the long run..
Old 06-11-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

My buddy had the same noise in his maggied 2004 Z06. It ended up being the bearing in the jackshaft. I would replace of asap.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The jack shaft bearing one thing to check..on mine I had the bypass valve actuator go bad so the valve was closed all the time.. made it sound like marbles..check and make sure when the car is idling that the valve is open
Old 06-11-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys... I'll check these items and report back
Old 06-11-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I checked the jackshaft bearings and nothing seems out of the ordinary... checked the bypass valve and it is working properly (at least at idle it's open). I've made a small video that captures the sound pretty well... tell me if I'm f***ed or not.

[youtube]SsLulsubsRI[/youtube]
Old 06-11-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

looking at your intake tube, at 8s in, does it look like it's coming off of that reducer or is it just tricking my eyes?
Old 06-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Take it off and send it to MagnaCharger, either the front or the rear bearing is going out. It happened to mine twice, and it sounded exactly like that, exactly. If it seizes you going to need a new housing, I wouldnt drive it.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RADEoN
looking at your intake tube, at 8s in, does it look like it's coming off of that reducer or is it just tricking my eyes?
The intake is secure I double checked everything

Originally Posted by jweymar
Take it off and send it to MagnaCharger, either the front or the rear bearing is going out. It happened to mine twice, and it sounded exactly like that, exactly. If it seizes you going to need a new housing, I wouldnt drive it.
Will do thanks
Old 06-11-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jweymar
Take it off and send it to Magna

Charger, either the front or the rear bearing is going out. It happened to mine twice, and it sounded exactly like that, exactly. If it seizes you going to need a new housing, I wouldnt drive it.
That's good to know! I never heard one going out, now I know what to listen for.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah that sounds rotor related for sure.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds terminal to me.....Best advice is to take it off and wrap it in bubble wrap and send it to 35063, I will send you all the replacement parts to return yours back to stock.
Sorry man, I had to go there....Best of luck to you....Hope you get this one figured out and sorry to waste time in bustin your *****.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
Sounds terminal to me.....Best advice is to take it off and wrap it in bubble wrap and send it to 35063, I will send you all the replacement parts to return yours back to stock.
Sorry man, I had to go there....Best of luck to you....Hope you get this one figured out and sorry to waste time in bustin your *****.
Haha it's cool man... the previous owner gave me the stock manifold, but I like the SC... I'll call Magnuson on Monday
Old 06-12-2011, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the rotor play is bad enough, they may have to replace them if they were making any contact inside the housing.

While it's off and being sent in for servicing, see if they can't port it for you and get a little more flow out of that beast

Also, don't expect a small tab for that if you have to pay it. I think blower rebuilds are around $300-1000 depending on what needs to be done.

http://www.thehighspeedlab.com/

-meaty
Old 06-12-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Skidmarcx
the previous owner gave me the stock manifold
Thats good.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meatyCTS-V
If the rotor play is bad enough, they may have to replace them if they were making any contact inside the housing.

While it's off and being sent in for servicing, see if they can't port it for you and get a little more flow out of that beast

Also, don't expect a small tab for that if you have to pay it. I think blower rebuilds are around $300-1000 depending on what needs to be done.

http://www.thehighspeedlab.com/

-meaty
Thanks for the input... yea might as well see if there is anything they can do to make it flow better... when I had the belt off I twisted the pulley back and forth and I could hear the rotor play... I'm not sure what's acceptable though...
Old 06-12-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

You shouldn't hear anything when you spin the rotors by hand.

Quick Reply: Disturbing noise from Magnacharger