Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Shifter feedback needed please

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter feedback needed please

I removed the UUC shifter the PO installed in my car today. While it makes the shifter feel less rubbery, it is very notchy and gets hung up. Anyway, that isn't the point.

In the box with the old shifter, was obviously the old shifter, but also two rubber boot things.

Two questions, so I can put the stocker back in and get my car together:

1) What are the rubber things?

2) Am I missing something from the original setup? I don't know what I am supposed to put in the big hole where the linkage connects to the bottom of the shifter. The UUC one has bearings pressed in, but the stocker is just a huge hole and nothing in the box with which to fill it. What goes in there?

Pictures:

Rubber things:

Big hole where linkage attaches:

Thanks!!

Last edited by aurora40; 06-12-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: changed title as no longer need ASAP feedback
Old 06-12-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are bushings that go in the linkage.

I've got a set just like those waiting to be installed. If your linkage has excessive play, take a look and see if those bushings need to be installed.

I assume the stock shifter may have had some kind of bushing installed in the bottom of the shifter there, and may have broken/fallen out somewhere. If you put that shifter in, I'm sure you're going to see a TON of slop.

I'd take a look at servicing your transmission fluid, if it hasn't been done in a while, or if you're a new owner of the car.

-meaty
Old 06-12-2011, 03:18 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Those are the stock rubber bushings that the PO probably replaced with polyurethane UUC ones. You are missing the bushings and pivot that go into the base of your original shifter. I have a ton of stock replacement ones sitting in my shop. PM me if you need me to send you some. Also, the nylon pivot ball housing in your photo above is installed upside down for a stock shifter.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn, I'm a dope. There was a bunch of bubblewrap in the box, and I pulled it all out and uncrumpled it. There were the bushings in there.

However, I'm glad I asked. Thanks for the tip on the ball housing Brian, I didn't realize it had a particular orientation, but now that you say mine was wrong I see what you mean. And thank you for the offer of the bushings!

Meaty, I've changed the clutch fluid and trans fluid recently. It feels mechanical. The shifter is very notchy, it comes back from 1st, the stops in the neutral gate, and you have to then pull it into 2nd. While it feels less rubbery than my buddy's '05 with the stock shifter, it is hard to shift it fast.

It's notchy and difficult vs rubbery and vague. I think rubbery and vague probably wins.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I'd be willing to bet that just loosening the nut on the bolt that goes through the bottom of the shifter would fix the "notchiness." It's a swaged nut, so it doesn't have to be torqued down tight to not fall off; it's not going to go anywhere. If you tighten it too much, you drastically increase the notchiness of the shifter because you bind up the pivot.

And you don't want to re-install those "rubber boot things". Just looking at those pictures, those rubber bushings are already starting to wear out, and they've almost certainly been replaced by UUC poly bushings (as Brian said). The UUC ones are definitely the way to go.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So it turns out I can't go back to stock anyway, at least not the way it is. The bolts and nyloc nuts UUC provides to replace the rivets impact the stock shifter where the linkage connects. It won't go into 1st gear with the stocker.

I put the UUC back in, and I did not tighten the two rivet replacement bolts as tight. They are just snug. They are nyloc nuts, so presumably they won't back out.

I did tighten the pivot bolt reasonably tight though. I'm not sure I understand why that would cause bind, as on the UUC, there are bearings between the shifter and the bolt? Nor do I think it is swaged, at least mine didn't appear to be. It was flat on both sides.

I could try loosening it up, I can get to that with the exhaust on the car. But honestly, I thought the shifter felt fine with the stocker in there, other than the fact that I couldn't engage 1st. I really don't like the UUC very much. Nor do I like how the ball assembly is totally exposed underneath the car. It seems like a lot of dust and salt and crap could get up into the plastic cage it pivots on.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, and I didn't put those rubber bushings back in. It has poly ones and I left them in there. I just didn't know what they were for.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Aurora, I think he meant what you called the pivot bolt. If you try loosening that and things get better, let me know. My Lingenfelter / Katech shifter is definitely a lot more notchy than stock, but it's not quite as bad as you're describing your UUC shifter. Still, if loosening the bolt makes it feel a little less notchy, I'll do it on my car too.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Aurora, I think he meant what you called the pivot bolt. If you try loosening that and things get better, let me know. My Lingenfelter / Katech shifter is definitely a lot more notchy than stock, but it's not quite as bad as you're describing your UUC shifter. Still, if loosening the bolt makes it feel a little less notchy, I'll do it on my car too.
Yeah, the bolt that connects the shifter to the trans linkage. Dunno why I called it the pivot bolt, I thought AAIIC did, but re-reading he never called it that.

Mine is not like crazy cranked down. It is "snug".
Old 08-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Does anyone know were the two small plastic bushings, that are in the very bottom of the shifter, can be purchased? My bushings are broken and Cadillac told me there not available.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Max at CS makes shifter bushings. Don't know if I'm allowed to post a link, I think this site is picky about vendors. Do a google search for creative steel shifter bushings.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The bolt that attaches the shifter to the trans linkage makes a HUGE difference... if you have it to tight it is real notchy, it is worth playing with the torque on that one.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:59 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by X715453
Does anyone know were the two small plastic bushings, that are in the very bottom of the shifter, can be purchased? My bushings are broken and Cadillac told me there not available.
PM me, I can get you some used stock replacement nylon ones or new ones that fit tighter and take up some of the slop.

Originally Posted by swiss
Max at CS makes shifter bushings. Don't know if I'm allowed to post a link, I think this site is picky about vendors. Do a google search for creative steel shifter bushings.
I believe those are the polyurethane replacement ones, not the nylon ones in the base of the shifter.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

i could use a new set of the shifter ball nylon bushings..07cts-v pm me a cost
Old 08-17-2011, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
I believe those are the polyurethane replacement ones, not the nylon ones in the base of the shifter.
Ah, gotcha. I thought he was talking about the others.

Quick Reply: Shifter feedback needed please