Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

A most regrettable test pilot tale

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A most regrettable test pilot tale

Anybody ever encountered a test pilot quite like this character?

Trying to sell my 06 STS-V and this guy shows up in a '98 Camaro SS (heavily modded with stick). As soon as I make mention of his exhaust note he starts to tell me about how he's a member of some Camaro citizens advisory group with GM and that he's quite the veteran road racer. He even pulls out a photo album from his car to show me pics of him with his Camaro group and of him road racing!

I figure okay, the guy's obviously an ego tripper but I'll ignore that and focus on the fact that he's apparently interested in the car even though there were other used STS-V's on dealers lots for less money and fewer miles.

Without asking any pertinent questions about the car he asks to go for a drive.
While on the drive this character can't stop talking about how great the second generation CTS-V's are and how great they must be with a stick! He then proceeds to tell me while still driving the car how he really doesn't like automatic cars ( the STS-V only came with auto). As he continues to drive he criticizes the brakes as not being "very good", the steering wheel as not being centered and then informs me how bad the rear ends are on the STS-Vs!

Some may think this character made mention of these items in an effort to get the price lowered, but no, the car's price or history were never discussed. It was blatantly obvious that this individual had zero interest in the car other than using it for his own test pilot purpose and in the process wasting my time and gas!

The capper to this tale comes a few months later when this test pilot somehow figures I'm his buddy and e-mails me 88 photo bucket pics of him inside the Lansing plant watching his CTS-V being built and then later is seen to write that he likes to think of his V as a "him" rather than a "her"!

Apparently putting, " NO TEST PILOTS PLEASE!" in your ad doesn't mean a thing these days.

Word to the wise, be aware of self serving schmucks, like this jerk.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

No, but I did have a guy show up to buy my 350z with funds, approved by my bank and confirmed by his, with an agreed upon price... and he backed out because he couldn't drive a stick! He tried backing out of my driveway in fifth, killed it several times, then hung his head in shame as he told me he just couldn't see going through with it if he couldn't enjoy it right now. "i really thought it would be easier"

The funny thing is, I ended up selling the car to another kid that couldn't drive a stick. He showed up in an automatic celica with a buddy. The buddy test drove it for him, then took pictures of the new owner with his new ride in my driveway for 10 minutes. Then the buyer gave me the money and hopped back in his celica and his buddy followed him out in the Z. My gf and I had a good laugh.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would have stopped the test drive at his first mouthful.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My second car I bought was a stick, I learned real quick how to drive it, and then I learned real quick how expensive it was for a new clutch to be put in!

Did you make sure to get his autograph before he left? It sounds like you could retire off of it...

-meaty
Old 06-16-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this is why unless I see cash I drive.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You shoulda called his camaro a mullet mobile and made fun of him for using slicks on the road.

Then smashed his face into a jelly.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by radeon
you shoulda called his camaro a mullet mobile and made fun of him for using slicks on the road.

Then smashed his face into a jelly.

agreed!
Old 06-18-2011, 06:34 AM
On The Tree

My last two cars were sold to people who couldn't drive stick. I took them for the test drive. After cash & titles were exchanged, they had someone drive the car home for them. In fact, the kid that bought my last car was too young to have a license!
Old 06-18-2011, 07:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

prime example of a STFU moment.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slithering_Joe
My last two cars were sold to people who couldn't drive stick. I took them for the test drive. After cash & titles were exchanged, they had someone drive the car home for them. In fact, the kid that bought my last car was too young to have a license!
Some Asian family just bought their kid an Audi R8... he doesn't have a license yet, and it's his first car... Found this out through his brother, which was bought a Mercedes-Benz C63 AS HIS FIRST CAR! He was actually just arrested 2 weeks ago for "street racing" lol

-meaty
Old 06-19-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

whenever someone buys a car from me over $4k, or over 300hp i'm the one that does the driving lol
Old 06-19-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

Lol the guy I bought my car from was crazy. Flew out at Az with my buddy and after talking a few seconds he throws me the keys and tells me where a nice industrial area to **** around in is at never asked to see the cash or anything. LOL mind you were both 20 year old kids, can't say that I'd do the same if I were in his shoes. He was the original owner had it since May 2001.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dre2013
whenever someone buys a car from me over $4k, or over 300hp i'm the one that does the driving lol
+1, I take them for a ride and only if they are truely interested do they get to drive.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Default insane test drives

A couple years ago I dropped by my local Pontiac dealership (remember those?). It was a Saturday afternoon and no one else was there except the owner. We start discussing this brand new silver-gray G8 GT on the lot-sticker was like 35K. He literally throws the keys at me and says "take it out for the afternoon, just try not to bring it back on empty!" I had met this madman one other time in my life when I was looking at a used GTO he had on the lot, never even drove it. So I took the G8 for like 4 hours, drove it like I stole it and put 5 bucks in the tank. I think I put like 160 miles on the clock. Dealer said "so how was it? they're on sale right now, bla, bla." I think he offered it to me for about 28K. You know the rest-pontiac went under and that dealership is long gone. I still look the other way when I drive by the building though!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Did he look anything like this?

Old 06-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Gotta love the Mayhem guy.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't even let my wife drive my car! (She can't drive a stick so its not like I don't try to get her to drive it) Nothing sexier than a hot chick in a muscle car(can we even call our cars muscle cars now 'a' days with the new cars driving off the show room floor?)..
Old 06-20-2011, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Default oz

Originally Posted by branland
Gotta love the Mayhem guy.
He is still the "Oz" guy to me...
Old 06-20-2011, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ekshail
Did he look anything like this?

No, he was bald, fat with a goatee. I also forgot to mention that this egomaniac said he had a real desire to become an auto journalist ( but nobody would sponsor him)!
Boy,now there's a real shocker! LOL
Old 06-22-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Would have been funnier if he looked like the Used Car Salesman in True Lies lol

-meaty

Quick Reply: A most regrettable test pilot tale