Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

I'm approaching perfection...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm approaching perfection...

I have the 06 5k miles recently added UUC shifter (defective), Maggie, harmonic balancer, Racetronix in tank hi flow pump, OBX headers/reasonators and Hendrix 1000 HP axle set up. After a month of broken fuel floats, MAF sensor failure due to wires rubbing on jack shaft, damagaged wire on AC unit (worked fine prior to Maggie install, cost $500 at dealer for $2 part) and a few other bitches and gripes by your's truly, it got it's first true run. Went almost 300 miles today, averaged 18.2 mpg all highway at about 90 MPH. Did several quarter mile practice runs, dumping the clutch at 3 then 4 K. No damage there except tires! Still running the original stockers, so no great loss there. I did replace with nitrogen last week and noticed a much more stable air pressure fluctuation (or lack of fluctuation, I should say). I ran it up twice to 150 then 160 MPH. Stable and steady as my Toyota Camry! One remaining issue-the freakin drivers seat will lean back, but not forward. That's the top piece, touching the drivers back. Going in to dealer tomorrow for that. 30 year service manager says "I have NEVER seen that happen on a Cadillac in my entire career!" Sounds like the seat motor is F'ed up, making grinding sound. Ever look under the seat of a CTS-V? More wires than my computer! Other than that, this thing is one hell of an enjoyable ride. I did pick up 17 hail stone dents last week in our infamous Massachusetts tornado. Guy called Dent Monster came to my home and for $350 made every single dimple just vanish in 2 hours! I can not tell where any one of them was! I think I finally have the car I've been seeking for a long time. Now if I can just KEEP AWAY FROM ANY MORE MODS!
Old 06-19-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like an awesome setup. Just wait til all the rest of the bugs come out. Hopefully they'll come one at a time and be an easy fix. I got mine with all the bugs untouched.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:34 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No more mods? So, how long do you think you will hold out until you break down and get the G-Force 9"? lol

Glad you finally got everything straight and can now enjoy your "new" V.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Sounds like an awesome setup. Just wait til all the rest of the bugs come out. Hopefully they'll come one at a time and be an easy fix. I got mine with all the bugs untouched.
Just curious, what kind of bugs have infected your beauty?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Default insecticides

Originally Posted by LS2duc
Just curious, what kind of bugs have infected your beauty?
where to start:
1. installer broke float while putting in Racetronix
2. UUC sent backward assembled shifter-agreed to exchange but laughed at mechanic when he said "what about my 4 hours labor?"
3. Sent "best UUC shift ****" also defective, didn't fit without machining
4. Bought Maggie from Hendrix-great price, but when I called them they told me "he does not include electronic tuner box (SCT brand) that automatically voids warrantee. Bought useless $400 tuner just to be covered by Magnuson. Also found out Hendrix Maggies are different than Maggie Maggies. Its obvious when you look at them side by side. Tech told me Hendrix Maggies are built to Lingenfelter specs, not sure if this is true, but adds drama.
4. These are more "bitches" than "bugs," but annoyances that people deserve to be awar of
5. Car now brought to tuner, who finds broken float. Installer says "have it towed back to me and I will fix it." I ask him to split the cost, he refuses. Now I pay twice for Racetronix installation (4 hours times 2)
6. Tuner discovers where assembler never bent headers to fit steering shaft-everyone knows this must be done and assembler was told to do it!
7. Car now assembled, ready for tune. Gives 488 RWHP, 472 TQ, 9.3 boost (harmonic balancer bought from Hendrix)
8. Car runs great for about 2 days, starts bucking like a bronco, first and second gear, does the "safety shut down" on interstate 91
9. Back to tuner (only one I trust at this point) Various wiring connections too close to jack shaft, have melted and self destructed. All day labor to fix corrections
10. 2 Header bolts fall out on highway, torqued way too tight and break
11. AC starts acting up-intermittent operation. This time I go to GMC dealer. They spend 5 hours find small round wire connection sawed through by rear pulley on Maggie-$500 labor
12. 2 days ago drivers seat will tilt back, not forward. GMC dealer finds blown motor, but orders wrong part. I figure out error, will install myself tomorrow.

So, most "bugs" were human error, incompentencies and the inability to accept blame when appropriate. This story is really not that bad-Ive read far worse horror stories in these posts. I started with a bone stock 06 with 3200 miles for 25K. Have spent about 12K. So for well under 40 gs I have a really nice perfect looking V that will probably spank just about anything out there, including a Gen 2 stocker. Im getting 12-13 mpg around town, 18-19 highway. Wish that low number was a little better, but Im probably in boost just a little more than I realize. Thanks for asking! Hows your Detroit iron faring these days? Our hi test in Mass just dropped back under 4 bucks...
leo
Old 06-21-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn bro glad the car is running strong now!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Junkie

1. Ground fix
2. Gas cap worthless
3. Broken wheel locks
4. Diff Bushing awful
5. Small bulbs out
6. Shitty wheel spacers that need to be replaced with something substantial
7. No spare key, had one made for $25
8. Stock motor mounts vibrate badly
9. Sun roof raising wind bar broken and jams when closing. Have to hold it down with hand.
10. No MM spacers with H&R springs
11. Nav disc missing, needed update and new disc
12. still has stock shifter...

Needed a full set of tires and I need to add a spare (50 mi DD)

Last edited by BudRacing; 06-21-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Default bugs

1. Ground fix
2. Gas cap worthless
3. Broken wheel locks
4. Diff Bushing awful
5. Small bulbs out
7. No spare key, had one made for $25
9. Sun roof raising wind bar broken and jams when closing. Have to hold it down with hand.
10. No MM spacers with H&R springs
11. Nav disc missing, needed update and new disc

You got some issues there. I think that sun roof thing would worry me the most. Just leave it closed, I guess. Diff bushings available from multiple sources, including Lindsey, Bulbs, well, just a pain in the ***. Keys on Ebay, same price though. I have not addressed motor mounts, but probably will have to at some point. I just figured mileage was so low-let em self destruct! Also lots of options there. I'm being advised AGAINST solid motor mounts, do some research here and on the LS1CTSV forum. I saw those MM spacers for sale a while back in one of these forums, but they are available. My 6.1 nav disc sucks, tries to send me to eastern european countries. The pop up on Ebay now and then, but get the newest one you can. Fix that shifter today man! PM me and I'll sell you my stock shifter, which you can send to PISNUOFF for a makeover! Whats a stocker POS shifter worth 50-60 bucks? Anyone got any suggestions, or just PM PISNUOFF your self and see what they are worth. I will burn off my stock run flats over the summer, the V gets put away for winter anyway. Tires will be next big expenditure next Spring (hopefully ONLY big expenditure!) Wish you luck with your issues. One thing at a time, like they say at certain meetings for people trying to quit bad habits.
leo
Old 06-21-2011, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Default runnin good!

Originally Posted by Skidmarcx
Damn bro glad the car is running strong now!
lets hope it stays that way, yours too!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Launching!

My current list of gripes are as follows:

Need widened factory wheels
Need Drag Radials
Not enough time to get to the drag strip
Car is finally losing it's new car scent
Need to have exhaust re-bent and welded to compensate for the girth of the diff.
Time until this car can be sold on Barrett-Jackson for exponentially more than it's worth is still too far away.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS2duc
Bulbs, well, just a pain in the ***.

My 6.1 nav disc sucks, tries to send me to eastern european countries. The pop up on Ebay now and then, but get the newest one you can.
Bulbs took me 5 minutes a side - LED's to match the HID's are needed anyway.

Google the latest navteq used in the same model year Infiniti G35s - then torrent search that revision - download the image and burn to DL-DVD.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh, don't worry guys. I'm well on my way to having it all taken care of ...and then some.

1. Ground fix
2. Gas cap worthless - done
3. Broken wheel locks - fixing
4. Diff Bushing awful - replaced with CS
5. Small bulbs out - LEDs done
7. No spare key, had one made for $25 - ebay, had it cut, done
9. Sun roof raising wind bar broken and jams when closing. Have to hold it down with hand. - will brace from beneath and epoxy
10. No MM spacers with H&R springs - ordered
11. Nav disc missing, needed update and new disc - updated and done

I've had the car less than a month and already dropped $2300+ into it.

To do:
Motor mounts
speedfilm
DEI heat wrap exhaust around diff
billet wheel spacers
sub upgrade
shifter upgrade
sun roof fix
mm spacers
install electric cutouts on the cutout flanges that came on the car

Then I can save for some headers and a tune.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Welcome to mod hell! LOL! Good luck with mods.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DMM
No more mods? So, how long do you think you will hold out until you break down and get the G-Force 9"? lol

Glad you finally got everything straight and can now enjoy your "new" V.
I just checked out that 9" set up-WOW. Wasn't available when I bought the "standard" 1000 HP version. Probably a good thing, for my kid's inheritance anyway!
Old 06-21-2011, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by greddy91
My current list of gripes are as follows:

Need widened factory wheels
Need Drag Radials
Not enough time to get to the drag strip
Car is finally losing it's new car scent
Need to have exhaust re-bent and welded to compensate for the girth of the diff.
Time until this car can be sold on Barrett-Jackson for exponentially more than it's worth is still too far away.
Yeah, but you got the 9 incher! Jealous!! my race fanatic buddy suggested drag radials, pricey are they not? I still reak of leather every time I open the door (06 with 5K miles). So is exhaust on the car now? probably not, im guessing. Im not sure any of these modified Gen I V's are ever going to make money. I did read if you can procure a station wagon with 6 speed trans, THATS going to be the reall collectible. They are making 1000 wagons, 200 with standards. Read it in a newspaper article someone sent me, can not verify truth of this "fact."
Old 06-22-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed you forgot to install CAMS into that thing while everything was apart

I'm just sayin...

-meaty

Quick Reply: I'm approaching perfection...