Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Clunking Sound from the Drive Train, Something is Broke! FOUND OUT WHAT IT IS, LOOK!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Clunking Sound from the Drive Train, Something is Broke! FOUND OUT WHAT IT IS, LOOK!

So I went out of town for the Holidays and on my way in I could hear a faint Rattling or Tapping from under the car, It concerned me but I was already running late so I went ahead to my destination. When I was leaving I continued to hear this noise and then it gradually got louder and louder, Sounding more like a Clunk or Clank with some light vibration. I pulled over and had my car towed to my office. It sounds like a Broken CV in the Driveshaft, Maybe Loose Shifter Linkage, or a Throw out Bearing, which my T/A sounded the same way when it went out. I will keep you guys posted in the morning. Any Ideas?

Last edited by LS1iFiEd; 07-05-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Well I found out what the issue is. On my lunch break I threw the car up on Jack Stands and noticed the Drive Shaft has been Lightly rubbing on the Resonator. The Carrier bearing bushing is worn out and causing the Drive Shaft to have a little play, Its not bad and Its not completely shot, Its worn just enough for it to come in contact with the Resonator's Big *** Heat Shield. From what I recall the Drive Shaft cant be serviced and I'll have to buy a new one at $800 . Has anyone found a Cheaper alternative? I don't have $800 to spend right now. So I found a quick and cheap Band-Aid, Since my car still has the stock Resonator on it and its HUGE, Tomorrow I'm going down to my buddies shop and we're going to install an X-pipe in its place. Doing this will give me some extra clearance between the X-pipe and the Drive Shaft, which will hopefully fix my rubbing issues. If you guys have any input feel free to post up. Thanks

Last edited by LS1iFiEd; 07-05-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm surprised the stock exhaust rubs on the driveshaft?

I've had to tweak my Corsa several times to avoid contact with the driveshaft and with the rear swaybar. But I assumed the stock system wasn't close to these. I never really checked, though...
Old 07-05-2011, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by aurora40
I'm surprised the stock exhaust rubs on the driveshaft?

I've had to tweak my Corsa several times to avoid contact with the driveshaft and with the rear swaybar. But I assumed the stock system wasn't close to these. I never really checked, though...
Generally the Stock exhaust probably isn't that close, But my friend that did my Muffler Delete is **** about Fitment and How everything lines up. My Exhaust tucks up real nice and the Tips are closer to the bumper than the factory setup, So I'm thinking since he tucked it up closer to the body that is the reason why the Resonator is so close to the Drive Shaft and After 50k Miles the Carrier Bearing has worn just enough for it to sag and touch.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Veteran

If u find a good replacement option, let us know! My carrier bearing/bushing is shot too. I get that annoying whine sometimes from the driveshaft until I come to a complete stop and begin driving again.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

You know what I was just thinking!! I wonder if the Transmission Mount is bad? Causing the Transmission to sag a bit, thus taking the Drive shaft down with it? Is that possible?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Teching In

There is a replacement option for the driveshaft coupler. It is $129.

http://www.revshift.com/shop/index.p...d&productId=82

As for other considerations, how are your engine and trannie mounts doing? Are they in good shape?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HeavyH20
There is a replacement option for the driveshaft coupler. It is $129.

http://www.revshift.com/shop/index.p...d&productId=82

As for other considerations, how are your engine and trannie mounts doing? Are they in good shape?
Thanks for the input, But I'm talking about the Bushing in the Center of the Drive Shaft, This one is for the Front. My Motor mounts are UUC and My Tranny is stock, I dont know what condition its in, I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From reading this:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-cv-joint.html

It looks like finding a replacement carrier bearing isn't too much of an issue, but disassembling (and reassembling) the CV to replace the carrier is a big issue. He ended up getting a new OEM driveshaft.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

double post.

Quick Reply: Clunking Sound from the Drive Train, Something is Broke! FOUND OUT WHAT IT IS, LOOK!