Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Rear trailing arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear trailing arm bushings

Just scored a set of these. They became available today.

http://turninconcepts.com/

Last edited by Big Bu Bu; 07-08-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

I need to grab a set of these. I believe one my stockers is shot as I have a knock on the passenger side over bumps at times.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by big reg
I need to grab a set of these. I believe one my stockers is shot as I have a knock on the passenger side over bumps at times.
Sorry man I hosed up the description. They are for the trailing arms. I just bought some shock mounts and confused the two.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are the mounts going to fit with the KWs? Photos?
Old 07-08-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice! I want to get rid of every piece of suspension/driveline rubber on this car.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lubelizard
it's for the trailing arm, so it won't matter what shock/coilover you run
Old 07-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Teching In

ordered a set last night. then figured out their shop is 5 min from my house. oh well. guess it wont take long to ship then.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
Nice! I want to get rid of every piece of suspension/driveline rubber on this car.
i agree with you..there just not much to choose from right now. or not much i can find.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

I wont know for a few months after a few more track days to see how they work. For those wondering what we are talking about
http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/139

You only need two for the rear 2 so you'll have to split a set with someone.
Here is a discussion link.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ck-mounts.html
Old 07-09-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure I'd want to go with 100% on every bushing and mount on a unibody, as you need *some* play or the next item down the line will take the abuse...I suppose if it were a track only car, maybe, but thinking day to day that may get old and you need to lube them (unless polygraphite) or else then you get squeeks...But, sure would be nice to upgrade some of them on this car though. Our chassis' are pretty tight, so we're lucky there.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
Not sure I'd want to go with 100% on every bushing and mount on a unibody, as you need *some* play or the next item down the line will take the abuse...I suppose if it were a track only car, maybe, but thinking day to day that may get old and you need to lube them (unless polygraphite) or else then you get squeeks...But, sure would be nice to upgrade some of them on this car though. Our chassis' are pretty tight, so we're lucky there.
The V is known however for a sloppy clunky rear suspension. Probably the worst part of the car. Yes, some play is probably not a bad thing. For example,the pinion brace that is available is believed, by some, to do more harm than good. People loved or hated the KARS kit that locked down the rear end. Sometimes it's the slop from all the rubber parts that cause failures as well. The diff bushing is an example. There are trade offs. My car has alot more NVH than a stock V has. These mods are not for everyone. If you do trailing arms, toe rods, cradle bushings, lower the car and stiffen things up, it's not going to be a quiet stock ride.
The trailing arms bushings are top shelf though. They have well designed crush tubes and are made from graphite impregnated poly which are proven not to have annoying squeek issues. They also help control the horizontal movement of the rear end under hard braking, cornering and acceleration better than the stock bushings.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, polygraphite is the way to go...I wish P-T-S sold a kit or parts for these cars...Had a 'super front end' kit for the 'velle (sold it though before installing ) and was top quality...

I certainly agree the rear diff is overly sloppy, but replacing the bushing with a CS unit, for instance, made a huge difference! I wouldn't mind replacing other bushings in this car with poly (softer duro rating though) if/when they ever become available and the oem ones wear.

So, yeah, certainly a tradeoff...Problem with our cars is GM put softer stuff then needed to be for the "cadillac" ride, although it still rides more like a performance car imo. The worst stuff I had was on my GTO with crappy liquid filled bushings and other skimping they did when they imported the monaro.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

A comparison of the stock mushy rubber bushing vs. the poly Turn in Concepts (TiC) bushing (I was the tester for these).

Stock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9xqYqqxRRM

TiC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FszcyYLgZo
Old 08-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Location: virginia everything is illegal and cops are assholes

just ordered a set of these today will see how they do. But fyi to everyone also got the revshift driveshaft coupler was installed by top cts-v tech and 3 bushings snapped and almost messed stuff up within ten miles. can wait to get these and agree no rubber in drivetrain
Old 08-02-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

Is that English?

Ask your TIC buddy if he can do rear lower shock bushings.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is that English?

Ask your TIC buddy if he can do rear lower shock bushings.
Creative steel offers them on their website
http://creative-steel.com/store/inde...ct_detail&p=34

I have yet to hear any information about them though.

I guess I do not see a whole lot of benifit to the shock bushing, as long as the stock bushing is in good shape, all this would do it let the shock "act" a little quicker instead of compressing the busing first.

The trailing arm bushing on the other hand, i need to get sooner then later.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:28 AM
TECH Regular

The bushing is VERY soft. It's also bonded to the sleeve. A urethane bushing in that area would allow quicker and more positive shock action, and would also help the suspension respond quicker.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

another item to add on the list....
Old 08-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

I'm not sure deflection in the twisting direction really proves anything. Obviously if the bushing is actually worn out, then that should be replaced.

I've been through this kind of thing in B-body land. "Omg, the stock control arms are just stamped U channel and twist so easily! Junk!"

Amazingly, not everyone on the internet understands suspension, and in the case of the B-bodies, failed to understand how the 4-link with triangulated upper arms for lateral location is supposed to work. What they got with boxed arms and poly bushings was dramatically increased stress on the frame, and suspension bind on roll. Worst of all, the increased bind was perceived as a handling improvement, because, as I mentioned, it increased rear roll stiffness.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess calling them rear lower knuckle control arm bushings wasn't as catchy huh? lol

Reading the description on their site, it says they come out with a C-clamp? I thought those were tighter press fit bushings. Hmmm.

Am I just cheap or does $75 seem a little high? No offense to the makers.....I'm still looking at them.

Quick Reply: Rear trailing arm bushings