Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

How much is a good used T-56 trans worth??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 12:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much is a good used T-56 trans worth??

Just as the title says. It includes the bellhousing and shifter linkage. Has about 80k miles on it and came out of an 04 V. Just wondering what something like that would go for. I only saw one listed on eBay for $1800 buy it now with the same mileage but that doesn't really tell me much.

Thanks in advance fellas!
Old 07-09-2011, 12:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think something in my bellhousing is going out... I'm starting to get a clicking noice at idle...
Old 07-09-2011, 01:01 AM
Launching!

its worth 500 paypal!
Old 07-09-2011, 02:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Lol! Well I'm asking cause I was offered $1300 for the trans, bellhousing and linkage. Guy wants to pick it up tomorrow. I have it for a spare because my buddy gave me a great deal on it so I grabbed it incase my (hard to get in reverse) issue turns out to be internal and not just in the linkage like I think it is
Old 07-09-2011, 02:05 AM
TECH Veteran

If the $1300 offer is a deal I shouldn't pass up, I'll let it go and just hope my issue is in the linkage but if I can get that for it all day long, I'll hold onto it incase I need it. That's why I posted this.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
If the $1300 offer is a deal I shouldn't pass up, I'll let it go and just hope my issue is in the linkage but if I can get that for it all day long, I'll hold onto it incase I need it. That's why I posted this.
I think you can get $1300 all day long. I wouldn't sell it unless I had absolutely no need for it...
Old 07-09-2011, 09:23 AM
TECH Veteran

With all the things I've ordered for the V lately, it would be nice to get some money back. I figured $1300 was a fair offer. I just wanted to be sure if I needed to that I could snag another for the same price or less.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1300 is a good deal for both of you really. The mn12 is more desirable then the fbody ones due to gearing. I say let it go at that mileage theta a good price.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok. I'll let it go. He's using it for an LS1 swap on a 240SX. Supposedly the T-56 out of the V's bolts right up and works... Shift linkage and all. I think he offered what he did since I'm local and he could pick it up and not hassle with shipping or having to hunt another one down. I figured the offer was fair. I'll tell him to come get it today.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-09-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, it's good to see these things worth a good amount of money I have one sitting here and should think about selling it then. It's an LT1 version and has the bellhousing/slave and all that to convert to pre-86 SBC....hmmm. Damn you for making me think about this now, though, lol

It's one of those things though that I should just hang onto, as the T-56 is such a cool transmission and can be put onto to some many vehicles, etc....decisions, decisions...

But, sounds like you got a good amount for it and congrats. 80k isn't a whole lot of miles, but it's not low, either. Nice thing about manuals though is there's not so many "parts" to go wrong like an auto and much easier to rebuild.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Lol! Sorry man! But hey... Trade that paper weight for some good hard cash and send me a thank you card! Lol

I was going to keep the trans as a spare for the V and if i didnt end up having to use it, I figured I could always use it in a project of some sort down the road but that $1300 will help me get a few more things for the V now that I've been wanting to get. Not to mention I got a really good deal on it. I traded a used glock 23 (.40 cal) straight up for it and he threw in the factory power steering pump so it was a great deal for me. I only paid $300 for the gun from another buddy of mine. It was prob worth $400 or so but my buddy with the trans wanted it bad and offered to swap. Told him the trans was worth a lot more but he didnt care. Lol You're right though, the T-56 is a cool trans! I've seen lots of swaps that use them.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Paperweight? lol...The .50 O/D works well with 4.10 gearing and to put an LS T-56 in anything other than an LS is a real PITA. I ended up buying this transmission about 8 years ago and it had 43k miles on it and looks new. The 'conversion' kit was like $800 though and then you add the billet steel flywheel and centerforce clutch, pedals (mine was auto), tilt steering column (mine was column shift), electronic speedo and yeah, there's a lot of $$$ wrapped up into it, haha...Not sure if I would sell it as a package though, 'cause that would save somebody with say an older a-body, f-body, etc. a lot of time...

My plan is to build an AC cobra replica someday and was thinking about keeping my 383 and this transmission for it, but haven't looked into how feasible it is to put a 6-speed in a Cobra (the real one, not the mustang)...Plus, it cringes me to put a sbc into something that a ford engine (and esp something like a 427) belongs in. I mean, it'd still sound awesome and have a lot of power, but just bothers me for some reason and it's obvious from the exhaust ports (headers)...nice thing about a 383 though is you can't tell unless you know what to look for
Old 07-09-2011, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Lol! Sorry man! But hey... Trade that paper weight for some good hard cash and send me a thank you card! Lol

I was going to keep the trans as a spare for the V and if i didnt end up having to use it, I figured I could always use it in a project of some sort down the road but that $1300 will help me get a few more things for the V now that I've been wanting to get. Not to mention I got a really good deal on it. I traded a used glock 23 (.40 cal) straight up for it and he threw in the factory power steering pump so it was a great deal for me. I only paid $300 for the gun from another buddy of mine. It was prob worth $400 or so but my buddy with the trans wanted it bad and offered to swap. Told him the trans was worth a lot more but he didnt care. Lol You're right though, the T-56 is a cool trans! I've seen lots of swaps that use them.
OK. I'll give you $450 for it then...

I have a rule. You never sell guns or tools. They keep you fed and protect you. You broke my rule...
Old 07-09-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

JNR... I just meant paperweight as in it's sitting there not being used. Lol not saying it's worthless by anymeans! Sounds like it's a nice conversion setup and it has low miles on it. I'd prob hold onto it and throw it in something you get. The cobra would be bad *** but there are a lot of other options too if the gm in a ford thing bugs you. I on the other hand would love to have a super clean foxbody coupe with an LSX swap and T-56! Lol I love the foxbodies but the LS motor is the way to go!

Jenks... I know man! That's my rule as well! I tried offering him the $400 cash but he was hell bent on getting my gun. Figured for what I paid for it, it can be replaced which was obviously true. Hell... I can buy 3 glocks for the price I just sold the tranny for! Lol
Old 07-09-2011, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Jenks... I know man! That's my rule as well! I tried offering him the $400 cash but he was hell bent on getting my gun. Figured for what I paid for it, it can be replaced which was obviously true. Hell... I can buy 3 glocks for the price I just sold the tranny for! Lol[/QUOTE]

Yeah. You did fine. Just replace it before Obadman and his buddies decide you don't have that right...
Old 07-09-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha lsx/ t56 was kind of a pain more so the t56 but I can't wait to drive it for the first time in a week or so. And yes never sell guns unless you are replacing it lol
Old 07-09-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah I hear that! Ill be buying myself another handgun out of this profit. I just need to decide which i'd like to go with. What caliber, what size frame, etc? I really liked that .40 but I think I may get a full size .45. Most likely ill end up keeping that one at the house and buy myself a sub-compact .40 to carry. There are just so many choices for guns that I like! Im like a kid in a candy store. I've seen some really bad *** Kimber handguns but those aren't really practical for carrying or for daily use. More less something u keep polished in a safe at the house. Lol I really like Glocks. I like the all black and they are good durable and reliable guns. Also a practical gun to carry.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Itsslow98... I can't wait to see that thing run! I was so close to beginning the swap on my last fox but sold it instead. I'll come across a super clean low mileage coupe sooner or later and pick it up as my toy to play with. The 3 foxes I had in the past were hatches. I like the look of them but love the coupes.

I'd also like to do an LSX/T-56 swap on a 240SX. Never been an import guy but something about seeing a Nissan slammed on coil overs with some nice staggered wheels setup for drift with an LSX under the hood is sexy to me! Lol
Old 07-09-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ha ha, yeah on it just sitting there and it does suck having things just sit around...You should see the garage, so much crap, but most of it I can't or don't want to get rid of. Don't *need* the money, but it would be nice to turn in things for cash for other things, like car stuff, or shop equipment (really want a mill; have a lathe and an old drill press I need to put back together after 'restoring' the pieces)...just no time. Plus, the economy still sucks to sell things unless you need to, so guess that's also why I'm hanging on to much of it.

Things like tools are good not to sell, but there comes a point where you just have too many and going to inherit even more than I know what to do with...Just at a point now that I want to clean up all this stuff...I even have vintage stereo stuff and collectibles that I just don't see me 'needing' anymore, but now that ebay sucks and don't like too many people coming to the house (craigslist), it's tough to put them up.

It's nice when a sale comes to you, so to speak, like your trans...think you made a good move.

Speaking of cars, I have too many of those sitting around too and have a 240 that I need to get rid of...If anybody's looking for an 89 notchback (auto tho), let me know. It needs a little work, but been in the family since new.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm the same way! Lol I have a bunch of fox parts, V parts and other misc things from past vehicles layin around. I need to go through it all and eBay everything. Lol

Yeah... Selling tools is bad but giving them to a fellow ls1tech buddy is ok. So send them to me at 16918 lighthouse.... Haha jk Too many tools is never a bad thing.

I think it's a good move. Profit for sure but the spare was comforting. Lol

Sounds like a good project for someone! I'd be interested but it's the later 90's body style 240's that I really like. When setup right, they look mean!

Quick Reply: How much is a good used T-56 trans worth??