Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Just bought the ground control coilover kit... Have a couple questions???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 02:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just bought the ground control coilover kit... Have a couple questions???

Hey guys,
Just picked up a Ground Control coil over kit for the V. I had ordered some H&R's brand new just a few days ago and after reading about the fully adjustable GC coil over kit, i decided to pony up the extra $$$ to go that route so i can really slam the car down where i want it and have that adjustability. After looking at lots of pics on here, I figure the H&R's would be low enough but i'd rather not install them and not be satisfied when i can go the GC route and adjust lower if needed. I also have a MightMouse spacer kit on the way from another member here so i wont have any issues getting the rear end as low as i want it as well as some Z06 end links. I like my vehicles lower than most though. Id rather drag the odd time but look good doing it (coming from a guy who's owned his fair share of bagged and slammed rides). lol

Questions are...

~There are a few different options for suggested spring rates on the Ground Control site. It looks like they have a standard street option, a hot rod cadillac (+10%) option and a trackday/auto-x (+25%) option. My kit is the +10% which i assume will be perfect for me needs on the street but what is the actual spring rating front and rear??

~Can aftermarket shocks be run with this kit if i wanted to upgrade later or am i limited to factory shocks?

~When i ordered the kit, it asked if i had FE4's or FG2's. Im assuming it makes a difference to how the kit is designed. If I am limited to only the factory shock options, does this mean i would want to stick with the FE4's or would switching to the FG2's be an option if I wanted to?

~If aftermarket shocks will work with this kit, what would be some good shocks to consider?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to familiarize myself a little with the kit while i'm counting down the days until it gets here!

Also... I am now selling my brand new H&R springs as i will obviously no longer need them if anyone is interested. They haven't even arrived here yet but they will be here any day now. I'll take $300 shipped for them.

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 07-13-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

love my GC kit.
I upgraded to FG2's at the same time and with the GC kit (500/550 spring rates) handles great and I like the stance, plus the adjustability to at least fine tune the heighth. the back will not go low enough though, LOL. You will have more than enough adjustment on the front.

I went with the ZO6 endlinks too. All toghether you will like the setup.

Other option are QA1 shocks, but at that time you will need to change spring rates.

You can also play with spring rates with the Eibach or Hypercoil springs.

I am sure other members with GC's will chime in.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Sweet! And see... I was considering finding some new or low mileage used FG2's before I install them but then it clicked that the kit may be designed differently from one shock to the other. What would be different on the kit that would make switching a bad idea? Spring rates?

After looking around, I believe the standard street kit is 500/550. If thats right, my +10% kit looks like it should be 550/600 and the +25% kit for track use is prob 650/700.

How much would spring rates need to be changed if I went QA1's?

This car is simply my daily. I won't be hammering turns or anything crazy. I really just wanted the added adjustability so there prob isn't too much gain to be had on the street by going aftermarket other than ride quality right?

And I've heard a couple people say the rear doesn't have as much adjustment as they'd like but ferny said u can remove the perch (unsure which he's referring to until I see the kit in person) and get an added 3/8 or so of drop out back which puts the fender right at flush with the tire. I think I'll be happy if it's flush with the tire with no gap at all. I don't think tucking would be practical on a daily on some of these Houston roads. Lol
Old 07-13-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I don't think there would be any need to change spring rates if you got the QA-1s. They may allow you to go to a higher spring rate, but I don't think there's any need to. From things I've seen posted by guys that have the QA-1s it seems like the damping adjustment will let you run stock type springs or firmer.

I would guess the difference on GC's website for FE4 vs FG2 is just a matter of how high a spring rate they'll recommend. The FG2s are firmer dampers, so they'll support a higher spring rate than the softer FE4s. How high is too high on each, I don't know. (Personally, I thought the FG2s were underdamped even with the stock 400#/in springs, so I'm amazed that people find these GC spring rates to be tolerable.)
Old 07-13-2011, 09:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Sounds like spending money on QA-1's might be pointless for me then unless I have my FE4's wear out or something and just upgrade while I'm at it but I don't see wear being an issue.

So are the FG2's really even considered an upgrade to the FE4's or is it just a preference thing?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Launching!

Fg2s are way better, you will notice the difference. But I am going qa1s when my fg2s go out...
Old 07-13-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Better how? Just stiffer or is the ride better with them?

Can I swap to FG2's if I specified I would be running the FE4's when I ordered it? If so, I may try go find some FG2's before I install them.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Yes I did the swap after, and the fg2s rebounding after hitting bumps, dips, especially at high speeds is a lot more controlled. I track the car and a few dips going in a fast corner made the car unsettle and feel as if it was going to lose it with the fe4s. same track with fg2s, total control no problem and shaved significant time off my lap..
Old 07-13-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Well thanks for the info man! I'll just keep an eye out for a good deal on some FG2's. Maybe someone here who did a complete coil over upgrade has some laying around that I can pick up for a good price. It's just a daily so I'm sure the FG2's will be just fine for what I need them for.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

I got some FG2's for 500 shipped and felt like it was a good upgrade from the FE4's, especially with the GC kit. I am sure there are many terms to use, but I would say the FG2's are more "sporty" than FE4's. Me too, when FG2's are done, QA1's may be next.

I guess removing the lower perch couldn't hurt. With my 275/40/18's, sits pretty level with top of tire. May have to check that out this weekend.

I would just think without the Nivomat system in the rears effecting the dampning, that different spring rates would be needed in the rear. QA1's will/sould also eliminate the mighty mouse mod. so spring rate should be different. IMO what should it be?? who knows.

I wanted to play around with spring rates a little. I always thought maybe you get get a set of 350 rated springs for the rear so you can throw them in for the night and at the drag stip, help it squat. Still going to try it I think, especially when I ditch the Niv's.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Veteran

How many miles on em man? I have 255/40 and 275/40 right now but I have 245/40 and 275/35's in the garage waiting for install.

And yeah... Those shocks would eliminate the need for the mighty mouse mod. How much do those QA-1 shocks run?
Old 07-16-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you guys are ready to spring for qa1s, call OC shocks in tiffin ohio. Theyll meet or beat anyones price. They also rebuild them a the best rates you'll find.

As info, the qa1s can be rebuilt at 1/4 the cost of a new set, and about 1/6 the cost of a set of fg2s. This means you can run them hard and not worry about high replacement costs. You can't even buy a single fg2 shock or get them rebuilt.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much do 4 qa1's go for?
Old 07-17-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Now for those of you above recommending the Fg2 shocks, he is not looking to track the car it sound like, mainly just lower it for the looks, do you think it would really help that much for street driving?

Or be worth the money?

I am sure you are aware but it seems that the front FG2's have a relatively short life, seems a lot have worn out on the forums
Old 07-17-2011, 01:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah it will just be my daily driven street car. No track plans for it.

Stock FE4's will probably be fine for what I'll be doing with them.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

i think for a set of QA1's your looking at 650 shipped
Old 07-17-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Veteran

That may be the route I'll take if my stock shocks go bad but my FE4's should be fine for me
Old 07-18-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

Ya, I'm also surprised that nobody has chimed in with the longevity issues that the fg2's apparently have. Lots of posts around the various forums regarding their short lifespans.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Launching!

45k on my fg2s and so far no leaks. They feel perfect. Knock on wood!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Veteran

I have 120k on my FE4's and no issues yet...

Quick Reply: Just bought the ground control coilover kit... Have a couple questions???