Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New v owner and trouble already

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New v owner and trouble already

I have been lurking here forever and after a year long search I found a super clean 2005 cts-v that has had all the common problems addressed on warranty. Rear diff, new radio, new transmission, etc. All dealer receipts came with it. Picked it up yesterday and was driving it today, it loses the A/C. Stopped to get gas and I suspected it lost the belt. Couldn't see nothing in the dark. Drove all the way home and pulled it in the garage and noticed it in fact, lost the A/c belt. The main serpentine belt was riding between the main grooves of the crank pulley and the a/c grooves of the pulley. I then realized, HOLY FREAKIN $#@T!!! The crank pulley/balancer came loose and the harmonic balancer was walking forward off the crankshaft!! I did some reading and this seems to be a common problem with the LS engines if that bolt was removed and not replaced with a new one torqued to 240 ft/lb.
Any advice is welcome with encouragement to keep this car.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

I had this problem right after i bought my car. Took it all apart and replaced the bolt and torqued it to specs. havnt had a problem since.
also replaced all my belts while i was in there.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might have had a cam in it at one time. Stock bolts are torque to yield(one time use) unless you buy an ARP which is reuseable. I would just grab a new GM bolt and torque it back down.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

This car has an extensive paper trail of trips to the dealer and there is evidence of a socket on that bolt. Is there any sensors behind the harmonic balancer that would require removal?
Other than a magnaflow catback, it is completely stock. I was in panic mode a bit earlier but will probably pick up a new bolt from the dealer apply some loctite and retorque it. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

no sensors behind the balancer that i recall. but dont quote me haha.

Last edited by JOHN STEPHENS; 07-24-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gearhead68
This car has an extensive paper trail of trips to the dealer and there is evidence of a socket on that bolt. Is there any sensors behind the harmonic balancer that would require removal?
Other than a magnaflow catback, it is completely stock. I was in panic mode a bit earlier but will probably pick up a new bolt from the dealer apply some loctite and retorque it. Thanks for the advice.
Oil pump and timing chain are behind the timing cover.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=gearhead68;15191674]I have been lurking here forever and after a year long search I found a super clean 2005 cts-v that has had all the common problems addressed on warranty.

You bought it yesterday? I would take it straight back to the seller and describe what you found, then ask for some $$ refund. That's me. Most states have some kind of protection when you buy a used vehicle, private sale or dealer. Mine (MA) is 30 days and you can get full refund if anything goes wrong. Check your state laws.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:10 PM
12 Second Club

Dealer wouldn't reuse the crank bolt. It is only $5. Seller had the pulley off for a reason. Threads in the crank might be stripped too.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

You bought it yesterday? I would take it straight back to the seller and describe what you found, then ask for some $$ refund. That's me. Most states have some kind of protection when you buy a used vehicle, private sale or dealer. Mine (MA) is 30 days and you can get full refund if anything goes wrong. Check your state laws.[/QUOTE]

Considering the situation, it took a year to find the car I wanted.
I took the car to the dealer and we tried to use his warranty that supposedly covers everything. Guess what, it doesn"t cover engine fasteners and whatever it tears up when it comes loose. In this case, balancer, bolt, and the 2 belts. Fortunately that was it and I caught it before there was any more damage.
Besides, the dealers best engine guy told me to torque the bolt with an impact wrench and don't worry about it, thats OK, after hearing that, I'm glad they didn't work on it.
Don't ever buy a warranty, unless it is purchased from the dealer.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Derek98z
Dealer wouldn't reuse the crank bolt. It is only $5. Seller had the pulley off for a reason. Threads in the crank might be stripped too.
Seller kept all receipts, no reason to be back there, who knows. Threads were not stripped. Its torqued to 240ft./lbs. now.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sucks to hear about problems so soon... I too had a few issues right after I bought mine used. Welcome to the Caddy club

Quick Reply: New v owner and trouble already