Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What to do? Debate inside...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do? Debate inside...

So, I have been messing with the idea of selling my V for about 3 months now. So, I will propose the question to the V Section. I will be doing 1 of 3 things...

1. Sell (or trade in) the V and get a C6 Z06 (maybe a V2).
2. Pay off the V, and buy another fast car in a couple years.
3. Build the V completely up.

Cost for each...
1. Payment for decent Z would be right about 700 to 750 a month. Insure would be cheaper (weird, I know), and out the box it will be WAY faster. Through LTs, Clutch, Cam, CNC LS7 heads, P&P TB, air intake, and maybe a 100-150 shot for good measure on there and I will be "happy". 45k to 50k for a Z and add about 10k to 15k for mods. Total cost say 60k to 65k.

2. Pay off the V and buy another car is though to say total cost, since I have a loan of the V right now. But to pay it off over the next 18 months would be (with interest) about 26k. Plus bringing in another car payment and adding in double insurance on 2 performance car (i would keep Full Coverage on both) would look about 800 to 900 a month total in 2 years for both cars.

3. Build the V. To get the V to were it would at least keep up with other fast street cars. the total cost, including what I have spent in the year of owning mine, would be right at 45k. plus cost of the car of itself, bought it 1 year a go for 29,500 OTD. Including interest would put the total cost to build the V at 80k, depending of parts and cost changes. (this idea is by far the worst when you look at the $$, but I just love driving the V so much, haha.)

Build the V to do list (a very long project):
408 build with forged internal and all the goodies
TVS2300 (maybe Twins)
custom heat exchange
custom 8 rib belt drive
9" Build with all the goodies
Level 5 Transmission and Level 6 Clutch
Meth
cut outs
Better Brakes
full coil overs
New hood
plus all the odds and ends to make everything be as strong and reliable as possible.

Your thoughts...
Old 07-25-2011, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

I've been in the same boat with my Trans Am. I wanted to build the be all/end all most badass car on the street. I ended up spending about 8 grand on it and trading it in on my V and taking a massive loss. I started looking into modding the V after I bought it and decided that a few mild mods to help it breathe better and to tighten up the drivetrain and suspension would be it. Maybe I'll install a Maggie down the road if I really get the itch for more power. My car is plenty fun to drive now, and since I get into a street race about 0.001% of the time I drive my car, I'm not worried about being the fastest thing on the street. My car feels plenty fast now. I'll buy a weekend car down the road once the V is paid for if I really want to race. It does suck that every idiot and his brother is going to be bombing around in a 5.0 in the next couple of years.

I guess after writing that big lecture is that I would personally go with choice number two. Keep it, pay it off, and enjoy it for what it is: a luxury car with ***** enough to surprise most cars in a race. If you get the speed bug, then go buy a C6 Z06 after your car is paid for. Prices will have fallen even fruther by the time you are ready to purchase, and while it's being modded you will still have a badass car to drive.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Sell it or trade it in for a v2. Mine is all payed off and I cant bare to sell it. Maybe when the v2 drops into 35 I'll trade it in.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the money you'd put into your V1 building it, you could easily get a v2 with a nicer interior, better resale value, and still a very upgradeable platform.

Trade it in on a V2. I don't think you'd be sorry.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Launching!

IMHO, before you think about spending another dime and getting even farther in debt - PAY OFF THE LOAN!! Then build it, sell it, trade it, whatever you want!

I know it's no fun, but damn, don't you ever get sick of paying interest to use the banks money when they barely give you jack **** for yours??
Old 07-25-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say put the LS2 in the Spectra5!!!! Hahahaha

On the real I get dibs on your mods if you sell it foo!
Old 07-25-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am leaning with #2, but if a killer deal comes up on a Z I will pull the trigger on it. I think I am done for the most parts with modding the V. I may do H/C/I, but that is a very small chance. I dont see the point of dropping another 4 grand into a car that wont even crack the 11s. when I can get to the 10s is a Z pretty quick.

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
I say put the LS2 in the Spectra5!!!! Hahahaha

On the real I get dibs on your mods if you sell it foo!
a Spectra with an LSx would be funny and fast to see...haha

if I trade it in, I will let you get what you want off. But if I sell, the mods are going with it (since thats what the buyer would want, haha)
Old 07-25-2011, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Buy a GSX-R 1000 for 8-9 grand that will smoke a Z06, V2, and your frankenstein V1. Keep the V1 and say things like "no, I bought the one with the 6-speed and a clutch but I will buy my wife the automatic if she wants one..."
Old 07-25-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jenks40
Buy a GSX-R 1000 for 8-9 grand that will smoke a Z06, V2, and your frankenstein V1. Keep the V1 and say things like "no, I bought the one with the 6-speed and a clutch but I will buy my wife the automatic if she wants one..."
dont want to ride a bike. people dont know how to drive with bikes on the road....haha.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

#1 no doubt. For what you want which is FAST, ZO6 will own the V2 in every which way.

#2 sucks because a Z is just as ncie if not nicer inside then the V1 so it defeats the purpose of owning both.

#3 sucks cause itll still be an 11 second turd with no resale value whatsoever.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

i was about to pull the trigger just like you i want a V2 and really want a Z06 but love not having a car payment so i bought an mk3 jetta for 650 cuz my friend is a legit retard the car is in ubelievable condition. so now the V is a summer nice weather cruiser and i have a beater for school and harsh weather .
Old 07-25-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

get the best platform to start building a car on... the z06 or v2 is the wise move.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
get the best platform to start building a car on... the z06 or v2 is the wise move.
vette is definetly the best platform to build. if you wanna go fast like ricky bobby you dont handicap yourself by buying a 4,000+lb car to build.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
vette is definetly the best platform to build. if you wanna go fast like ricky bobby you dont handicap yourself by buying a 4,000+lb car to build.
I wanna go fast...

Old 07-25-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you want to go fast the buying a solid stock f/i car is the way to go. an evo with a couple grand in it would put a hurting on a V nearly anywhere.

but i would go with the c6 zo6 as my platform.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

i cant do Evos or WRXs or any of those types...i know they are quick cars and what not. But i know nothing about them, and i dont have a lot of time to learn. more likely my next platform will be a Z06. just got to find the right one.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Am I the reason your selling?

Did I talk you out of modding the V1, or does my sickness of a 13.4 just scare you going that fast?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Am I the reason your selling?

Did I talk you out of modding the V1, or does my sickness of a 13.4 just scare you going that fast?
what talk me out of the modding the V1 is watch guys (no real offence, since its your money) dropping a lot of money into the 4000 pound turd and only running high to mid 12s. dont get me wrong, i love the car...but the V1 will never be a "fast" car, it will always be quick.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Sell it to me Cole... FOR CHEAP!! lol

But i agree. Im over the goal of making mine fast. Im happy with it looking good and sounding good but being slow as fu@k. lol

Actually sitting in limbo in a trade deal at the moment for an 03 cobra. Trying to decide if i wanna go fast or keep a clean and comfortable daily... lol
Old 07-25-2011, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

I see the vette as being the best platform to build. A close second is the V2. I personally couldn't give up being able to seat 4 adults comfortably, but that might not bug you. Leave the WRX's, EVO's and imports for the ricer's. I've seen a few of them that are quick but I have come across so many morons that think they have a race car but can't even change their own oil. I am always a big fan of paying off a car before you upgrade, but in this case it might not be that bad of a move as the V1's are still selling pretty strong. It might be good to sell before the V2's get cheap enough to take away some of the potential buyers

Quick Reply: What to do? Debate inside...