Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Need help!!! 07 ctsv rear end, what is it???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help!!! 07 ctsv rear end, what is it???

Ok Guys I am needing your help. I have my CTSV at my local dealership now. I actually went by there today so they could show me what was going on with the car. Long story short, my drive shaft is rubbing into the gas tank!! It has melted the plastic and has almost ate a hole straight through the tank. By the looks of it, the whole rear end looks like it has shifted upward. I am not sure if the bushings have gone bad or what the deal is. I have the BMR rear bushings with the pinion bracket but I do not believe that is the problem. What could be causing this?? How everything looks and what things are happening, it almost looks like the gas tank has fell down and is rubbing on the drive shaft , but we do not believe that is the case. Some how the rear end has shifted upward and we cannot find any play in the rear end or the drive shaft. Anyone have any ideas??? Im guessing it is the rear diff bushings....

Here are some photos of what is going on!
Attached Thumbnails Need help!!! 07 ctsv rear end, what is it???-img_0783.jpg   Need help!!! 07 ctsv rear end, what is it???-img_0782.jpg   Need help!!! 07 ctsv rear end, what is it???-img_0780.jpg   Need help!!! 07 ctsv rear end, what is it???-img_0778.jpg   Need help!!! 07 ctsv rear end, what is it???-img_0779.jpg  

Old 08-08-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's very obvious, that the car has so much torque, that it twisted the frame when you launched it off the line...

Just kidding, just thought I'd throw a "The Fast and the Furious" quote in there...

I'd look at the straps/mounting points for the gas tank. After all, it's plastic, right?

Heat could maybe cause it to sag, or mount points to grow weak and break?

I'd drain the tank and see if you can wiggle it around a bit after the weights out of it.

-meaty
Old 08-09-2011, 12:47 AM
TECH Regular

That gas tank looks low to me! Check the straps on the tank
Old 08-09-2011, 04:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Check the carrier bearing and your trans and engine mounts. The fuel tank has metal straps with no insulators on it. They are a tight fit and wouldn't come loose unless the tank had been removed before. Weird problem, good luck.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

If you need to replace the tank, PM for details, there is one within a 2.5 hour drive from you.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the carrier bearing, and/or motor and trans mounts
Old 08-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

I am highly pissed off with cadillac and will not own another one. Due to my car being lowered (WITH SPRINGS) my car is not going to be under warranty. They still cannot find the problem and already telling me a i need a new gas tank and want me to purchase one before they can even find the problem. I need to get a gas tank for a 2007 Cadillac CTSV any ideas???
Old 08-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Launching!

WOW.. they won't recognize warranty coverage because you installed SPRINGS?!? I'd find a new dealership to take it to..
Old 08-10-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, in your first post you said you think it's the diff bushings, and you also said you replaced them with BMR ones. I can see why GM might not want to pay the tab if that's the case.

But wow, that is a bizarre problem, and I hope you get it resolved easily.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After working at a dealership for many years and having a brother that is a Service Mgr at a Toyota dealership I have found that A LOT of warranty issues seem to be at the discretion of the service writer or service mgr. Some issues that are common on certain models will throw a red flag....Such as "off road abuse" on Tacomas and "Signs of abuse/racing on Mustangs" when I worked at Ford. The main problem I see is that if you are to take it to another dealership, it will show that you have taken to one already and their ENTIRE writeup will be in the computer and GUARANTEE that it's already been reported to GM and is documented in their system....We had a guy once that brought in a Tundra and had front end problems and was turned down as warranty work from another dealer bc of a lifted suspension. A week later he showed up at our store with all stock suspension and wheels. I hate to have bad news but if one DOUCHE reported it in the system then it's REALLY hard for another service writer to override his report and get around it.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

^^^^ I work at a Lexus and Toyota dealership. And no I do not have BMR rear diff bushings installed. My BMR bushings are not for the rear diff.

Still cannot figure out what it is.. Does anyone know if the 2004 CTSV gas tanks will work on the 2007 CTSV??? I know they are different part numbers but will they work??

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

What bushing is this? Looks like a poly cradle bushing, where did you get this? any info on it?

Quick Reply: Need help!!! 07 ctsv rear end, what is it???