Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Another cam thread. About to pull the trigger! Which one??

Old 08-09-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another cam thread. About to pull the trigger! Which one??

Well fellas,
I thought I had the V sold/traded but it fell through. My feeling aren't hurt though. I love the car so im fine with keeping it. I'm currently having all the mods/extras I have for it installed at a buddies shop and I'm looking to order a cam kit now as well. I plan to do dual springs, pushrods, lifters, ported LS6 oil pump, LS2 timing chain, ARP crank bolt, etc.

Big Reg... Sent you a pm but it looks like I'm keeping the car now afterall which I found out today. I'll be getting my car back from my buddies shop soon and since I'll be installing the coilovers, I'll be able to swap spacers and send you the ones off my car. I was surprised I never heard back from you in a PM but either way, I just wanna get things straightened up with our deal.

Anyway... As far as a cam goes, I was initially considering the Megadeath, MS4 or T-Rex cam based on sound alone after researching YouTube clips. After doing some more research on specs, I've realized for a daily driver and for a heavy car like the V, a cam that performs lower in the rpm range and creates better torque numbers would be much more beneficial as opposed to a peak power cam that doesn't hit powerband until 3200-3400 rpms. I also don't wanna deal with something so big that I'm going to have to check and replace springs on a regular basis.

That being said, I want something that will sound vicious at idle. Bigger the better as far as idle sound is concerned! I really don't want to cam the car and then be disappointed that it's not aggressive enough for me. This may sound retarded but a big part of my wanting a cam is for the sound alone. At the same time though, I don't want something completely useless. I'd like a cam with a rather linear power curve. I'm looking for something with good torque numbers and that produces good mid and high end power. Something that hits closer to 2000rpms would be much more useful in this car as a daily. Other cams I've been looking at are the Torquer V3 and the G5X3.

Mods wise... I will be running kooks LT's, catless connectors, magnaflow catback with x pipe with the mag muffs cut out. Car also has K&N CAI, MSD wires, NGK TR55IX plugs, comp clutches stage 4 kit with light billet flywheel, etc. Eventually I will have some heads installed as well as a fast 90 but it will probably be awhile before those things. Possibly nitrous in the future as well.

So cam gurus... What would be some suggestions considering I want a ground pounder that would perform well down low as well as up top and be practical for a daily driver? I don't mind driving an aggressive cam daily.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-09-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My cam is very tame sound wise, but ground on a 112 and the idle lowered to 850 or so itd definetly sound like a bad ****. If you want spring life get the cam ground through Pat G or EPS since their cam profiles are designed to be a lot more forgiving on the valvetrain and i have to say the valvetrain in my mustang is SILENT unlike the V which sounds liek a sewing machine because of the aggressive cam lobes. I think a 228/232 112lsa would be a good cam for you idling around 875-900. Maybe talk to EPS about there 230/238 112 cam as well thats what I suggest.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

lurking.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Itsslow98... Thanks for the suggestion man! What exact cam are you running? I was thinking of something on a 111 or 112LSA. I'm kinda new to the cam world but from what I've read, it seems to be what's suggested in order to get an aggressive idle. Anything lower though would take away from street manners.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Im running a comp cam on LSR lobes which are very aggressive. 232/236 .598/.601 114 lsa

Mine idles at 950 and i have great driveability thanks to a great tuner.

If you go to a 111 lsa you have to watch the lift cause it'll cut down on your PTV clearance. I would suggest sticking with a 112.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:56 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

The 111* - 112* will def help out down low where you are looking for it. There are a lot of new cam specs and lobe profiles that have been introduced over the last few years but they are still ground by the major players (Comp, Cam Motion, etc.) and a few (namely Comp) have had a LOT of problems with quality control. The "talk" is that Cam Motion cams produce the best quality pieces at the moment. At any rate, I would suggest that you degree the cam upon installation, which isn't easy in the car.

As for a good daily cam with some "rump" at idle, the 228/228 on 112* (just about everyone has a version of this) and is a tried and true product that yields good results while maintaining drivability and keeping the tuning easy.

I would re-post over in GEN 3 section, but add the mods that you already have or intend to install in conjunction with a cam (headers, intake, etc.) since the cam will change based on this info. Try to get ahold of Mark (Predator-Z) he has a wealth of knowledge and will share it with you as long as you seem eager to take his advise. Pat G does not answer cam postings anymore unless you send him the $25.00, but he is probably the best hands down.

Best of luck and keep us informed!
Old 08-10-2011, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just going off of a long 12 page thread that I had read/what my performance shop recommended and everyone is getting higher numbers (since you want to go with heads later) with a smaller cam and heads. for example. dyno sheets were provided. Something around 224/226 on a 112 was getting better HP/TQ numbers than a 228/236 112 with heads. This was a fairly new thread and there were a lot of shops backing it.

It's not all about what you have up top if your going to continue with your upgrades past a cam. all your bolt on's/add on's will help a smaller cam produce what it needs to

go with a 100 shot with cam and heads and you'd be finished. You'd be pushing over the 500RWHP mark
Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the help guys! I'll try to get ahold of predator-Z. I found a brand new cam kit in the Texas classifieds with everything I need that I'm tempted to buy. It's the Torquer v3 which is one of the ones I was considering. Anyone have any experience with this cam?

This is the Torquer V3 cam... 231/234 .643/.598 112LSA

Is it just me or do the intake and exhaust lobes seem to be rather far apart? I suppose that's supposed to help with creating torque?

As far as future plans, if I'm satisfied with the car after cam only and other bolt-ons, I won't waste my money on heads or a fast intake. Afterall, the Ls6 heads and intake flow rather well for stock. Realistically, I'd be happy if the cam can get me somewhere in the 410-420rwhp range. I'd like to make 500 or a little more on 100 shot and might bump it up to 125. I don't think I'll wanna spray any more than that. I don't wanna risk messin the car up on a big shot. Just looking for that extra punch when needed.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you plan to spray 4-6 degrees seperation between intake/exhaust duration isnt a bad idea. It wont matter a whole lot but it wont hurt. You more then likely wont see 410-420 without a good sized cam. I made 400 with mine.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:07 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm being told for 100 shot, any cam will be ok but for anything bigger, what you are telling me comes into play. And better peak hp doesn't exactly mean more power overall right? I mean if I got with a big cam to get 410-420 out of the car, I'm back in the lacking low end and torque category right?
Old 08-11-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Usually a cam in the high 230s low 240s duration wont make as much power as a cam with 228 duration at say 3k RPM on a setup that isnt optimal for the cam. Like running a large cam without heads that can keep up with them or an intake manifold. If its set up correctly a large cam will shine just about everywhere.

Plus a larger cam youll most likely have to rev a little higher to stay in tha powerband whereas a smaller cam you can shift lower.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Hmmm... Well that makes me wonder if I should go bigger to leave me room to grow with a set of heads and fast intake later. Just not sure how long it's gonna be before I'd be doing them. But what you said makes sense.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For a V, a EPS 230/234 113+2 gets my vote...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another cam thread. About to pull the trigger! Which one??