Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

How are people passing emissions with LT headers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are people passing emissions with LT headers?

I was planning on changing out the motor mounts and trans mount next week, and read that the headers will have to be removed to install the MM, so I was thinking about getting a set of headers. I was just curious how everyone with headers is passing emissions?
Old 08-12-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am planning same install soon but thought you could install mm with stock manifolds. There are some youtube videos on the install and stock manifolds appear to be on that car.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Ok so it's just with aftermarket that you need to remove headers. That's good to know

but if I did decide to get lt headers, is there any chance I could pass emissions or is it pretty much impossible? And if I can't pass, is there any options better than stock that will?
Old 08-12-2011, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

You could probably pass if the car is running well and tuned properly.
But does your state have a visual inspection - thats where its at..
Old 08-12-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't have any experience on this but from reading others comments would think only header kits that don't have cats would have a chance of failing either visual or sniffer tests unless you live in California then anything not stock looking might be fail.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

i pass with kooks lt headers with high flow cats in va.. no problem if you can pass there you can pass anywhere
Old 08-12-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I do not have Long Tubes, but in AZ they only plug into the OBDII port, so it might not be to bad
Old 08-12-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Many states (including VA) do not do tailpipe testing on MY 1996+ cars. They use the OBD-II self test to determine if the vehicle's emissions system is up to snuff.

In that case, as long as the car does't report any problems, the vehicle will "pass". Most people tune out the post-cat O2 sensors and associated codes when they install headers, so the car will appear to be fine.

There may or may not be a visual inspection, which you may or may not pass depending on the presence of cats, the clearly aftermarket appearance of the headers, or the degree to which the guy running the test gives a ****.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would think as long as you're running cats you should pass the tailpipe test... provided it's well tuned ... and yes you can swap MM's with stock manifolds installed
Old 08-12-2011, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be fine

It's funny cause I hear people talking about visual tests in other states etc etc etc. California isn't that bad. They don't insect your car for crap. The smog guys are there for themselves and are trying to make money. The hard part is just always passing elthe actual emissions with a modified car

The only other issue is if you get sent to a referee by the cops. But usually you have to have a civic for that to happen
Old 08-12-2011, 03:21 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The high flow cats will almost assuredly throw the low efficiency codes, so you will have to have them tuned out. I got the cats with the headers but eventually got the straight pipe connectors b/c I had to have it tuned anyhow and the cats don't really do much of anything.

The emissions "inspectors" are usually one step above the garbage collectors and don't know their *** from a hole in the wall. Mine passed after just installing a cam (with no tune, just for ***** and giggles really) and it was so bad it would make your eyes water but the computer said everything was legit with no codes since they were not activated. The idiot asked if there was something wrong with the car and I told him I thought I got a bad tank of gas...passed for another two years.

But then this is the People's Republic of Maryland, a true idiocracy in the making. Things may be different in your neck of the woods.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I figure if i put headers on they may get some high temp black paint, or a wrap something to make them less obvious. And the old, this is the V version it must have come that way...
Old 08-12-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get it tuned after the header install.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
I do not have Long Tubes, but in AZ they only plug into the OBDII port, so it might not be to bad
They're supposed to do a visual with the scan, but they really just don't care enough to look. I just closed my cutouts and went through and they had no idea.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I am going to go with a set of the OBX with high flow cats. Do I need any OBD extensions? and if so, which one are you guys using? Also, about how much is a tune going to run me?

Edit: Been reading a good bit on the hp tuners, seriously considering this. Never tuned a car or even seen a car tuned before. Would this be something I could learn fairly easy considering I am a very mathematical person and I am very computer literate(computers are my job)?

Last edited by whazard; 08-15-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tuning requires a little more knowledge of the working internals of the engine and how fuel stoichiometry affects power and driveability. It's something you could definitely play around with and learn, but it's best to have some inside contacts for tips and pointers.

You'll need O2 extensions, but what length elludes me. Someone else with headers can chime in.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

you want it put on a dyno and tuned. Usually you will pay a tuner a big amount up front, then it will be very cheap to re-tune after that. So it's worth it in the end

I didnt need o2 extensions, but you need better gaskets and header studs and bolts.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wcryan
I didnt need o2 extensions, but you need better gaskets and header studs and bolts.
What better gaskets and studs/bolts should I use?

Sorry for all the questions guys, just want to make sure I do it right the first time.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wcryan
you want it put on a dyno and tuned. Usually you will pay a tuner a big amount up front, then it will be very cheap to re-tune after that. So it's worth it in the end

i was wondering if i needed them for the obx headers, good to know.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Ok, so I have OBX lt headers with high flow cats, CS motor/trans mounts, and rear diff bushing on the way.

Would the headers have to be taken back off to change out the clutch? If so I think I may go ahead and get that as well.

Quick Reply: How are people passing emissions with LT headers?