Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

header/steering shaft rub

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default header/steering shaft rub

we massaged the header a little bit by the steering shaft, but when the longtubes heat up I think they are expanding a little and rub a tiny bit. It's driveable, but just a little annoying

Is this bad to let the steering shaft rub a little?

and do you have to take the headers off to massage the headers more? Or is it pretty easy with them on

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 08-13-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't had to check this for myself yet as I haven't put in any headers, but I would imagine you could get a piece of wood in there, and give it some love taps.

I imagine at some point it would wear through, either the shaft or the header (I'd say the header first). That metal gets hot, and some rubbing on it, I'm sure it will eventually just wear on through and you'll have a nice bit of exhaust gases blowing onto your steering shaft.

I'd get under there and see about doing some bumping on it.

-meaty
Old 08-13-2011, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I wouldn't let it rub. I "modified" mine with a piece of hardwood wrapped in an old rag. Just keep pushing a little bit at a time until it doesn't touch anymore. Does it do any harm? I dynoed at 483 RWHP the day after I bent the header, so maybe I should have 487?
Old 08-13-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Which headers? I don't have any rubbing. Mine are only 1 3/4 Kooks though.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Obx. I can barley feel it rub though. I was looking at another thread and some guy just let it go and it was fine after a couple weeks

Let me tell you though. If your on the fence about headers. Wow. What a difference. And also made my car way louder. I think it really gave my cam more of it's potential also
Old 08-13-2011, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

I welded the OBX 1 7/8 up to the stock exhaust and I'd say about 10% louder than stock. I kinda like the quiet Cadillac thing.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
Which headers? I don't have any rubbing. Mine are only 1 3/4 Kooks though.
I struggled with the smaller vs larger diameter for a while. The smaller were available cheaper and already coated when I was looking. Kooks were like a 5 week wait and I just couldn't do it! I had the OBX from EBay in 5 days. So far (3 mos) no problems. No wrap or coating and I like the blue color!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:56 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2duc
I welded the OBX 1 7/8 up to the stock exhaust and I'd say about 10% louder than stock. I kinda like the quiet Cadillac thing.
I'm with you on this...took the Magnaflow off and went back to stock. It's a little louder and raspier, just right IMO.

My 1 7/8" Kooks rubbed also. Jack the front of the car up and mark the area the is contacting the header and then remove the coupling at the rack and pinion to drop the steering shaft down out of the way. Go ahead and dimple to your hearts content. I started with wood but quickly got irritated by the slow progress and used two ball peen hammers. Easy work.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Veteran

So glad I have kooks 1-3/4 headers!
Old 08-14-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

can you explain the wood method?
Old 08-14-2011, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wcryan
can you explain the wood method?
I didn't actually do it (too chicken!), but I watched the installer. He took about a 2 ft. by maybe 3" think piece of hardwood from his dumpster and tapered down one end. Wrapped a rag on the end to prevent scratching, then just tapped in there with a hammer after they were already installed. A little push, little more, let the lift down, still rubbing a tiny bit, back up pushed it somemore. I think we had it by the third try. Does that make sense? It must have sqeezed in between the steering shaft and the header. I don't think he loosened the steering, but I can call the guy and ask if it is that important to you.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

That would be cool yeah. It's gonna be a bitch to take off the steering shaft again and re-dimple the header. Rather try ur method first
Old 08-14-2011, 03:35 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The intermediate steering shaft is cake to get out, 7/16"/12mm socket on an extension to get the coupler off the rack and pinion then you collapse the shaft into itself by pushing up on coupler, it is designed to do this. You can take the 13mm bolt off the column end of the intermediate shaft and take it out completely if you like. Really, it takes all of about 5-10 mins I promise.

I have a lift so I took it loose from the rack only and let it down. You will not be able to clearance the header with the intermediate shaft fully installed. I have to put my car up on the lift tonight, I can try to get some pics if you like.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
So glad I have kooks 1-3/4 headers!
I guess with a Maggie you're supposed to use the larger diameter pipe, at least that's what I was told.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wcryan
That would be cool yeah. It's gonna be a bitch to take off the steering shaft again and re-dimple the header. Rather try ur method first
Called the installer yesterday. He said there was a very small amount of clearance initially between header pipe and steering shaft. He just pushed the wedge in there, little bit at a time in order to expand the space. Did not loosen steering at all. Mine is 2006, not sure if there are any slight differences in model years.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

mines an 07 so i'm guessing they should be similar. I'll have to find a lift to put it up on.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have Kooks 1 7/8" and no rubbing... probably can't fit a pubic hair in between though... guess I got lucky
Old 08-17-2011, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

seems to be pretty random, possibly all headers not equal? OBX being cheaper I would think less quality control? Just guessing...
Old 08-17-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah. Itseems like it's 50/50
Old 10-20-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2duc
I didn't actually do it (too chicken!), but I watched the installer. He took about a 2 ft. by maybe 3" think piece of hardwood from his dumpster and tapered down one end. Wrapped a rag on the end to prevent scratching, then just tapped in there with a hammer after they were already installed. A little push, little more, let the lift down, still rubbing a tiny bit, back up pushed it somemore. I think we had it by the third try. Does that make sense? It must have sqeezed in between the steering shaft and the header. I don't think he loosened the steering, but I can call the guy and ask if it is that important to you.
Has anyone tried this? With the colder weather, I guess my UMI mounts have contracted, and I'm now getting some rub that gets worse when I turn right, for some reason. This wedge wood method looks like it's worth a try. I would imagine you would get it started, then start the car, and as the pipes heat up, you could tap it in further and further.

But most importantly, anyone tried this?

Quick Reply: header/steering shaft rub