Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Wierd taillight issues...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wierd taillight issues...

My driver side taillight is staying lit up as if I am pressing the brake and the 3rd taillight above the trunk is not coming on at all. I have checked the fuses under the hood and both fuse boxes under the rear seat but none seemed to be blown...

Anyone seen this problem before?

Could I have missed a fuse?

None of the fuse descriptions I saw seemed to be specific to the 3rd brake light..
Old 08-25-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't believe it is very common, but your led strip (3rd brake light) may be bad. Have you checked all of the bulbs in the taillight? Most if not all cars have a built in warning system letting you know when a bulb is out, i.e. signal light staying on instead of flashing or flashing fast.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Haven't actually checked the bulb yet. Will check it when I get out of work. The turn signal indicators are both working normal and blinking at normal speeds. To clarify, it is the very top bulb on the driver side taillight and it stays fully lit whenever the lights are on but when lights are off brakes work as normal... really odd

Edit: Ok, taillight bulb was bad. Now just the 3rd brake light issue to deal with

Last edited by whazard; 08-25-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whazard
Haven't actually checked the bulb yet. Will check it when I get out of work. The turn signal indicators are both working normal and blinking at normal speeds. To clarify, it is the very top bulb on the driver side taillight and it stays fully lit whenever the lights are on but when lights are off brakes work as normal... really odd

Edit: Ok, taillight bulb was bad. Now just the 3rd brake light issue to deal with
Well from what I've found, around 75% of the 3rd brake lights are bad and around $300 to replace. It's a gas filled something and a GM ONLY part. I keep a check at the local junkyards....I'm not shelling out $300 for a tailight. I have 2 that work just dandy.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just paint it the same color as the car and vola! It's a spoiler. LOL
Old 08-26-2011, 06:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSmokd U
Just paint it the same color as the car and vola! It's a spoiler. LOL
lol, I probably would if my paint skills weren't atrocious.

I saw a thread a few weeks ago about changing the bulb out with an LED strip but I can't seem to find it now. Can anyone link me to it? About how much would it cost to do this?

$300 bucks is ridiculous. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:31 AM
On The Tree

I think that LED 3rd brake light thread is on the 'other' Caddy forums. You might want to do a search over there. As I recall, it looked like a real PIA project.

Quick Reply: Wierd taillight issues...