Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

I am mid install of my kooks and it's not lining up. Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I am mid install of my kooks and it's not lining up. Please help!!

Like the title says... We are mid install at the moment. Have the headers on and the kooks catless connectors aren't looking like they are gonna mate up with the magnaflow exhaust like I was old they would. Bought the ones that connect to factory exhaust cause I was told magnaflow had the same connection and the corsa connections were different. Am I missing something here?
Old 09-03-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got the same cats, they were a absolute bitch to get on to a stock exhaust. Is it close at all? Or is it just like wtf
Old 09-03-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every install I've heard is that fab work is necessary with Kooks and a Magnaflow exhaust (unlike Corsa, for example).

Who told you that they'd line up with no cutting/welding?
Old 09-03-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Maryland speed and kooks.com both told me that when I put mine on
Old 09-03-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Just leave the headers bolted up as is and start ripping hangers off. It will give you one BADASS exhaust note and a MUCH NEEDED weight reduction.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

your gonna have to go to an exhaust shop with open headers........ loud loud loud
Old 09-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Magnaflow won't line up. I had to have mine modified to line up the magnaflow with the stock manifolds and then had to have it redone again when I put on OBX. Take it to the muffler shop at 8am on Sat. with open headers.....my neighbors hate me
Old 09-03-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Well at least it's Saturday night on a holiday weekend so it will be Tuesday morning at the earliest before any exhaust shop around here would open. I'd drive it to church in the morning and anywhere else you may have to go on Labor Day. The law enforcement officials may have a little something to say at the road blocks tho. LOL....You could just send the ticket to the d-bags who told you that they'd line up.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

you'd be suprised to see that some smaller shops (at least around here) are open on weekends too. I'd call around
Old 09-03-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Veteran

It's not even close to fitting. A complete WTF situation! I was told by numerous people that with these connectors, the exhaust would bolt right up with no modifying needed. Wrong!! The side that mates to the header is right but the other end is a slip fit connector where you would need a clamp and the mag is an open end with the flared out lip like what would connect directly to the headers. Unless I figure out a way to fab it myself here or find someone open in the am to fix it, I'll be driving back to Friendswood from Beaumont (88 miles) with open headers and finding a shop first thing Tuesday to fix it. **** I'm pissed!
Old 09-03-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Well after googling my issue, I came across and thread on the Cadillac forum that said these will work with minor trimming. Says line up the exhaust and trim some off the magnaflow side to get rid of the flared ridge and it will slip fit still with no welding so first thing tomorrow morning, I'll be doing that and bolting it up. Whew! Glad to see I'm not stuck up here with no solution considering it's a holiday weekend.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yup, cut back the x-pipe portion of the magnaflow system and it should work. I don't know if it was my thread you found but I posted a bunch of pictures of how it looks:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ons-corsa.html
Old 09-04-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Yup! That's the thread! Thanks so much for posting the pics. Made it so much easier to understand what I need to do! Lol
Old 09-04-2011, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude, take some pics and post em.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad you got it worked out...I never assume things will 'bolt up' when aftermarket and two different manufacturers...always so much variable. Good you can do an easy fix though, as running with open headers would get annoying and yeah don't think the cops would appreciate it, lol.

Was going to suggest if you ever run into this issue again is to get some glasspacks (not the ovel magnaflows) and weld on a mating flange (some of them come with them as 'header' mufflers, but designed for classic 3 bolt triangle type) or an extension or whatever works...Still loud, but helps. Plus, cats act as a muffler too so may not even need those in a pinch...

did this on my chevelle and it helped to get to the muffler shop, but DAMN was it loud...then again, it has quite a lopey cam and nice headers but even a stock car is (annoyingly) loud w/o mufflers or cats of some sort.

BTW - if you think open headers are loud, you should hear zoomies, ha ha...I remember when I went to the river a long time ago and all the boats have open headers and sound quite good (albeit loud)...Well, this one boat I swear had like a funny car engine in it (one of those trippy looking blowers) and zoomies...Well, when he started that thing up and took off, it made everything else sound like it had huge mufflers on it!
Old 09-04-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was doing the header on my Miata, I got hungry after bolting them on, so I went ahead and went to Panera Bread with just the header on. LOUD AS HELL!

I had people pulling over to the shoulder and letting me go past LOL

One guy in an Impala started throwing me revs so I threw some back, he looked really startled and gave me a thumbs up. I just LOL'ed.

It was a fun little trip, but not something I'd ever do every day!

-meaty
Old 09-04-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Hahaha! Good stories guys! Glad I'm not the only one waking the dead! the exhaust didn't fit quite perfect but good enough to get it connected. I'll have to take it to an exhaust shop Tuesday to get the minor adjustments needed made and to have them weld it up so I can get rid of the little exhaust leaks. Just so glad to have it back and running with all the new stuff on it! Needs a tune bad though!! Sounds mean but feels a little sluggish and it's throwing the usual code from running catless.