Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

O2 codes and knock sensor codes after installing some mods on the car this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default O2 codes and knock sensor codes after installing some mods on the car this weekend...

Figured I'd make a separate and more specific thread about my problem since my first thread was directed more toward the diablo tuner issue i'm having.

So... I installed kooks headers, catless connector pipes, new clutch and flywheels with ls7 slave, plugs, wires, cs motor mounts, etc this weekend on my car. I'm now throwing 4 codes! 2 for the o2 sensors (heated circuit or whatever) and 2 knock sensor codes. I expected the o2 codes but not the knock sensors and it's freaking me out!! I know I need a tune and I will be getting one ASAP but the knock sensors throwing a code is still out of the ordinary even after the mods I installed.

Anyone know what would cause them to be coming up???
Old 09-05-2011, 01:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Update...

After freaking out and allowing my mind to go crazy brainstorming ideas of how and why the know sensors could be throwing a code, I decided to take a flashlight out to the driveway and get under the hood at almost 1am. Lol After a quick look and running my hands around the wires back behind the intake to ensure nothing was pinched or cut, I found a plug undone behind the drivers side head. The female part of the plug was mounted behind the head on a small bracket and the male part that was loose was coming off of the main harness and just sitting there. I plugged it back in and then traced the line with my hands to see where it led to. Seems to go across behind the intake and then downward and under the intake which I'm assuming would lead to the knock sensors. I'm hoping I am lucky enough to have found the knock sensor plug and to see that we just knocked the plug off during the install! I guess we will see tomorrow when I clear the codes and take it for a drive. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Also... Although it's not quite as big of a deal as the knock sensor codes, I noticed a small wire with a ground loop behind the drivers side head that was just sitting there loose a little lower than the plug that was undone. I can tell it was bolted down to the head at one time as the obvious ground to something but to what I don't know? It hasn't caused any issues thus far so I guess it's not a major issue unless it somehow just came out while we were working on the car. I will swing by the hardware store tomorrow and find a bolt to snug it up again. Everything else looked nice and tight as it should be.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea the knock sensor harness goes under the intake manifold. The connection on the back of the head is a ground and im suprised it didnt cause any problems. Be sure to snug that back up asap. I would assume your connection problem for the knock sensor fixed the issue. Good luck man!
Old 09-05-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Veteran

I was surprised it didn't cause any issues too! But... I googled what the ground was for and it showed that on the harness, it has a ground on the back side of both heads. I didn't check on mine to see for sure but if that's the case, I'm assuming the other is still making solid contact which is prob why it didn't have any issues. I ran by oreillys though about 30 mins ago and grabbed a bolt to tighten it up so it's all snug. I used the diablo to clear the codes and so far so good. I'm almost positive that plug I found undone will cure my knock sensor codes. I'm assuming the o2's will come back on but that's not a big deal. I can deal with that until I get it tuned. I'm stopped now with the Gf at chuy's for lunch but I think I'm going to try to find an open exhaust shop after this to have my exhaust adjusted and welded up with no more leaks!!
Old 09-05-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least ur headers fit. I'm having a nightmare with mine. Rubbed the driveshaft so much they had to be recut and not dimpled. The header flange that connects to the motor was warped. (that's why it leaked). And had to be taken to a machine shop to get it on the band saw and straight
Old 09-05-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Damn man, sorry to hear that! What headers are u running? Mine went on fairly easy. The hard part for me was making the connector pipes fit with the magnaflow catback I had to cut. Not perfect but it's on there. Gonna have to have an exhaust shop get it perfect for me but that won't be a big deal. I went with the 1-3/4 kooks. Lots of room around the steering shaft with no issues.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Obx. I don't think I've Heard of anyone having problems like mine though. Maybe I got a bad batch
Old 09-05-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, I've heard good things about them too. I'd send em back for another set bro
Old 09-05-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wish it was that easy
Old 09-05-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Have u contacted them about it?

Quick Reply: O2 codes and knock sensor codes after installing some mods on the car this weekend...