Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Diablo tuner locked to a 2004 cts-v, will it work on my 2005 v???

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diablo tuner locked to a 2004 cts-v, will it work on my 2005 v???

First post on here for me...Was wondering if a diablo tuner is locked to an earlier ls6 will it work on mine??? Just found an awesome deal on one and wanna know. Thanks ahead ppl
Old 09-22-2011, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

yes it will, but probably not for free. Why? The same situation happened when to me when i swapped mustangs, but kept my programmer. I didn't realized it was "married" to a particular car(having bought the original mustang that came with the tuner). I called up diablo, asked them what i could do, and they gave me a code to unlock it (pushing a series of buttons like a cheat code on a video game). They also told me i'd have to pay for the code next time. Maybe you'll get lucky, but most likely you'll have to pay a fee ($50 IIRC) to make it work. Call up diablo and ask about the fee before purchasing the tuner.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

If the tune was removed from the other car, it's ready to be used again but if it's still loaded on the 04, the progammer is useless and only hold the factory tune from the 04.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow what a b**** I figured if the engines matched and the cars were the same it would work regardless of the year...thanks for the heads up
Old 09-22-2011, 11:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Well the programmer that works for the 04 will work on your 05. Same model number because they are both LS6 cars. If the tuner has be reloaded with the performance tune, u can get it and use it on yours. But... If u are unsure if it's been returned to the programmer, I wouldn't buy it. Ive heard a lot of bad stories about people buying a programmer, loading the tune on their car and then selling the programmer which is then useless and only contains the factory tune from the car it was used on. Basically screwing people after they already got the good tune out of it.

However... I have a predator that's almost brand new with the USB cord and everything in the original box with the performance tune on it for $200 shipped incase u want one u know is legit.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kl2onik
wow what a b**** I figured if the engines matched and the cars were the same it would work regardless of the year...thanks for the heads up
Nope , it codes to the VIN in stored in the PCM
Old 09-22-2011, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the Diablo tuners actually marry themselves to the VIN of the car the performance tune is installed on. They then store the factory tune for that car. From then on that programmer can only be used to change the tune on that car & is buttmunch more than a diagnostic tool for any other. That is UNTIL the factory tune is reinstalled on the original car.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Yes... But if you remove the performance tune and reload your factory tune on the car, the tuner is then able to be used on another car with no problems from what I've been told. It's only vin locked if the tune is being used to keep people from buying one programmer and tuning more than one car.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

while we're on the subject any dif between the predator and the trinity besides the bs gauges, mounting it in your car, and the $300 price dif...also that new superchips vivid came out anyone test it out or heard anything about it???
Old 09-22-2011, 11:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Don't know anything about those. I was told the predator was the handheld to get. Bought it but found out it can't turn off the rear o2's so I need a dynotune now. That's why I'm selling my predator. The factory tune has already been returned to my car and the tuner is ready to go. It's honestly a pretty good tune for a handheld and the fact that it works as a diagnostic tool is cool too but nothing will be better than a custom dynotune.

I'm running kooks LT's with no cats... Hence the reason why turning off the rear o2's is important for me.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

neversatisfied so true about all these locked tuners and people are buying them on ebay like crazy hahaha. The condition always says " new, distressed box, open box" or some s*** like that. Cant believe peole are getting away with these scams after they do a tune and just pawn it off to someone for headaches.

Yeah think ill stick to the custom tune gotta get the long tubes on first...maybe a cam if I can afford the labor lol
Old 09-23-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah man, it's bullshit but it happens. And yeah, custom tune is the way to go. Handheld is only good for those who plan to do CAI, catback and tune only and just want something simple with decent gains. If you're gonna do headers and maybe a cam, just wait and get it dynotuned. That's what I'm doing. I'm going to cam mine for sure. Just trying to decide if I should do some ported LS6 heads or not but I'm leaning toward staying stock. It's not gonna be a racecar. As long as it runs, drives and sounds good and makes decent power, I'll be happy!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Launching!

The Predator definitely WAS the handheld to get... but only one revision was built that allowed for CAGS and the rear O2's to be turned off using the menu system.

Federal mandates cracked down industry wide for allowing that functionality to the purchaser due to pollution restriction as I recall. On the HPTuner side - they have thus far escaped losing this functionality by never officially listing how to turn off the sensors. The functionality is still there, you just have to be versed in its usage.

Neversatisfied -are you certain you can't dig down through the codes and disable the ones associated with the rear O2's?

If a rear O2 sensor were to set off the P-codes the ones seen errant would probably be - P0137, P0141 and P0157. One might benefit from seeing if those codes are able to be manipulated by a Diablotuner still. *cough* The crow flies at midnight. *cough*

For the record - I have purchased two tuners still married to the cars from EBay. I paid for both via PayPal and after disputes - returned the unit for a full refund both times.

Last edited by greddy91; 09-23-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

in a handheld, the tune itself is not transfered, only copied , the programmer just links itself to a given ecu. Hence why you can just enter a code and the programer works on another car again. the predator can be used for more than just CAI and catback. you can take datalogs, then alter the injector slope. This is very useful in cai+ headers back exhaust, as I did in my camaro. Can't you just but a resistor and eliminate your rear o2's?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hatched91
in a handheld, the tune itself is not transfered, only copied , the programmer just links itself to a given ecu. Hence why you can just enter a code and the programer works on another car again. the predator can be used for more than just CAI and catback. you can take datalogs, then alter the injector slope. This is very useful in cai+ headers back exhaust, as I did in my camaro. Can't you just but a resistor and eliminate your rear o2's?
Wiring around it definitely is proven to work as well, but... seriously it shouldn't be needed.

You are dead on sir! If the user isn't doing an FI setup the handhelds are money! There's still no substitute for putting dyno and driveability time in on a professional caliber tuner, but if you're doing headers and a mild cam you can save a boatload in tuning fees by just reading up on what the normal LTFT/STFT/Timing readings are and tuning accordingly.

The original tuner release listed Disable Rear O2 Sensors as an option - the feds decided that was too easy. That option was removed... the code table and your ability to turn off each one was not.

You amewicans arwe so wazy! - Kim Jong
Old 09-23-2011, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Hahaha I agree! We are lazy, and no substitute for dyno tuning. But you can tune for a cam with a handheld? I didnt realize it had that kind of capability
Old 09-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hatched91
Hahaha I agree! We are lazy, and no substitute for dyno tuning. But you can tune for a cam with a handheld? I didnt realize it had that kind of capability
Sure man - again MILD is the operative word. Consider that HPTuner has an entire table of inremented values... at each 500 rpm you can alter the table. It's more precise and would be required in dramatic fuel/spark profile changes. If you're making minimal changes to the cam profile you only need minimal changes to the fuel and spark tables.

The problem with the Diablo is, as an end user you get two rpm windows to make alterations in. Those windows are blanket changes; so for example you can... add 5 degrees of timing at idle to 3000 rpm, and add 3 degress at 3000to redline (or whatever the actual numerical windows are). Same thing goes for fuel. Additions and subtractions are based on the original fuel tables so again... as long as the changes are minor... you can sufficiently tune for a pretty in depth set of N/A mods and/or a nitrous setup (by pulling the needed timing)

The main thing is just like any routine performance tweaking - you start safe and then incrementally tighten up the settings until you remain within the ECM's expected values.

I tuned for intake/headers/exhaust with my diablo in about 1.5 hours driving time and saw a dyno proved 10 hp gain across the board and as high as a 23 hp peak as well as having no CEL lights. Additionally I gained on average 3 mpg on the highway. I paid $200 for my used and unmarried tuner. As far as I am concerned that's a win for hp to dollar on a gen1.

Now... with a maggie and blower cam... HPTuning and a solid dyno tune was an absolute necessity. (Thanks to SNL!)

Again - handhelds have gotten a bad rap on this and almost every car line, but for those willing to invest the time in researching and actual driving trials it can be a lot of fun and save money in the long run. It maybe that it needs to be marketed to a niche/hobbyist market rather than the masses.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Wow! I stand corrected! I didn't realize these things had that much capability. Maybe I need to try mine again and play with it some more. So... If I'm understanding this right, there is still a way to turn off the o2's on these? Because I get a CEL about every 50 miles or so from running catless and I've just kept clearing the code with the handheld. I'd like to play with the tuning but how safe is that for someone with no tuning experience? Last thing I'd want to do is tear something up by making the wrong adjustments... Lol
Old 09-23-2011, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Wow greddy you know your **** man! Making me want to buy a hand held instead of getting a dyno tune when all i have is intake and exhaust.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:09 AM
TECH Veteran

I know right! Making me wanna just keep my handheld and forget about the dynotune for now until I go with my big cam! Lol

Anyone on here manually tune their car with the predator that had CAI, kooks LT's, no cats, x pipe and no muffs? Oh and an aftermarket clutch with lighter flywheel?

Maybe by chance someone with the same mods has the tuning adjustments needed saved on a computer or something and would be willing to help my tuning illiterate *** out? Lol

Quick Reply: Diablo tuner locked to a 2004 cts-v, will it work on my 2005 v???