Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Opinions on differential change

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions on differential change

I have a 05 v with a 700HP engine in it and a early generation differential. I bought a gen 4 diff as a upgrade but then have been talking to MAX at cs on the 8.8 conversion. I have yet to drag race the car but probably will start having more fun with the car.

I want to replace the driveshaft anyways as the weights got knocked off it somehow and definately has a shake to it.

How many Gen 4 diffs have failed? should i just put it in the car ( i have the cs diff bushing and black here already) or should i just bite the bullet and spend the money on the 8.8 kit ( i have a center section but need to put new guts in it)

Keep in mind i have no axles in the car other then stock.

Sheldon
Old 10-12-2011, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That kinda power, I say you pony up and get someone to do a straight axle in it. I dont see any IRS kit out there for the V being as tough and dependable as a straight axle. With the suspension nowadays i doubt you would even notice you dont have an IRS.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you already have a Gen 4 diff at your disposal, I'd drop a few hundred on axles and try it out. Better then dropping $4k+ when you could get the job done with less. Especially since you already have another diff. You should be able to re-sell the axles, worst case.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or you could sell the $800 diff, save the $1000+ for axles and put it towards a rear that will be built to handle it not run around HOPING that the Gen 4 will last.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s-cam
I have a 05 v with a 700HP engine in it and a early generation differential. I bought a gen 4 diff as a upgrade but then have been talking to MAX at cs on the 8.8 conversion. I have yet to drag race the car but probably will start having more fun with the car.

I want to replace the driveshaft anyways as the weights got knocked off it somehow and definately has a shake to it.

How many Gen 4 diffs have failed? should i just put it in the car ( i have the cs diff bushing and black here already) or should i just bite the bullet and spend the money on the 8.8 kit ( i have a center section but need to put new guts in it)

Keep in mind i have no axles in the car other then stock.

Sheldon
The 8.8 Kit is ok at best. It still doesnt address other key part that WILL fail at that power level. You will need to replace the CVs as well. Which means you can have another $1000+ to the cost of the 8.8 kit. And at that point, you are at the cost of the 9" from GForce. If it was my V, I would just call up Chris at GForce also. And then the final thing, if you really want to drop some serious coin, is what Allen said. Which is very true for your every day driving and strip racing. If you plan to road race, you are better off with an IRS but not by much.

Originally Posted by itsslow98
That kinda power, I say you pony up and get someone to do a straight axle in it. I dont see any IRS kit out there for the V being as tough and dependable as a straight axle. With the suspension nowadays i doubt you would even notice you dont have an IRS.
The Fox body is going to your head you red neck.

Originally Posted by odthetruth
Since you already have a Gen 4 diff at your disposal, I'd drop a few hundred on axles and try it out. Better then dropping $4k+ when you could get the job done with less. Especially since you already have another diff. You should be able to re-sell the axles, worst case.
You're retarded...

and this is why...
Originally Posted by itsslow98
Or you could sell the $800 diff, save the $1000+ for axles and put it towards a rear that will be built to handle it not run around HOPING that the Gen 4 will last.

Last edited by ColeGraham; 10-13-2011 at 03:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Opinions on differential change