Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Stabilitrack/dealer help

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stabilitrack/dealer help

Hey everyone,

Posted this over on the owners site, but wanted to post here see if I get any ideas/bites.

So last weekend I got my Stainless works full exhaust (2" headers to 3" exhaust BAD *** BTW!!) on my 2009 cts-v

Well when I started driving my "service stabilitrack, stabilitrack off" came on. I stopped, thought oh wait it's just cuz it was on the lift. Turn the car off, wait 5 min, start again and drive and it comes back on. Right before it comes on it kinda sounds like a "clunk, grind" somewhere behind me. So I try the ole unplug the battery trick, and that doesn't work either.

Well I decide to take it to my dealer since a Tech2 should tell me what is wrong. (I had looked at all the sensors by the diff, and under the hood to see if anything felt loose and didn't find anything) This dealer has treated me good in the past so I thought I'd give them some buisness, esp since this issue shouldn't be with the mods, and should be a warranty issue. So I drove in with a TSB I had found on the stabilitrack as well as my list of items.

I give them the list:

1) steering wheel is a bit off center, could you just move it as opposed to allign it (car drives straight)

2) OBD2 port seems to have a short, I just told them I have put an autozone scan gauge in and sometimes it reads sometimes it doesn't. (Actually when you move the hptuners cable it will disconnect saying it can sense the car, and Mike at g-force has commented the same. It's not that loose as I uploaded my new tune last night and then logged all the way to work)

3) Obviously fix the stabilitrack.

So I get a call later that day from the service lady and she says that they can't get the tech2 to read because there is aftermarket wire plugged into it. I was like no there isn't, those wires are not hooked up. Anyway she didn't know what she was talking about so I asked to speak to the manager. He called me back and said that since I had plugged a gauge (I have a scan gauge on my dash and I had left the plug there not thinking about it as it's been there every other time I come in) that that gauge made the obd2 port not work and their tech2 not work. I discussed with him that we all know that is a bunch of crap, and he says he ethically can't send that claim into GM because of the wire. So I asked him what if his tech got sloppy and he messed a pin up last time and it wasn't my gauge, and he said that that's impossible and I just rolled my eyes. I then asked him if he would have not seen that wire would he have warrantied the item, and he said yeah probably so.

Well the kicker is I was gonna just pay them to fix the obd2 and be done with it, til they told me it would be 700 bucks, I was like really? He said he would knock 150 off and I just laughed. They don't even know if repinning the obd2 will fix it to begin with.

SO.... What do you think I should do?

The stabilitrack doesn't work, and it has to be a sensor got knocked loose, any ideas which one's to look at? Also noticed that my g-meter in the dash isn't working either, so I bet they are correlated, where is that sensor?

I have heard that the steering wheel off center can cause the stabilitrack issue, so I'll have it aligned next week after I lower the car.

I have a friend coming in with a Tech2 in 2 weeks and he said he will bring it and we can see where the sensor is, or I guess I just pull that gauge out, and take it to the chevy dealer down the street (I asked him if they were going to put a note on this on my VIN and he said no, but who knows)

Just curious what everyone else thinks, or if anyone else knows anything.

Thanks everyone!!

Oh yeah, and I know when you mod you run the risk of voiding your warranty, but lets be real, the obd2 port was not effected by an exhaust lol, and neither was the stabilitrack.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if u had no issues before the exhaust then something prolly got unplugged or bumped off during the install.. get under her and retrace the exhaust.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is this wire they keep referring to? And are they having issue's with the power from the OBD 2 DLC (data link connector)or is this a communications problem? The Tech 2 can be powered externally using a power supply and while this is normally used when the Tech 2 is at a console for programming it can also be taken to the vehicle.

It sounds like you got a dick for a tech working on your car and regardless of the Magnuson Moss act once you mess with your own car it is normally up to you to prove that you did not screw it up. Make sure they warranty at least one item while your car is there (break a damn **** for the radio, it doesn't matter) and the warranty claim will initiate a customer satisfaction survey, which is your best tool as a customer since everything the dealership receives is based off of the customer satisfaction index. Nobody seems to realize how powerful of a tool this really is, but this only applies for warranty repairs.

Best of luck to you.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
Well if u had no issues before the exhaust then something prolly got unplugged or bumped off during the install.. get under her and retrace the exhaust.
I already did that, and unplugged and replugged everything (That I could see). so yeah IDK. The problem is that there is a TSB out on this, and that's what I gave them but they said they can't read it.

Originally Posted by DMM
What is this wire they keep referring to? And are they having issue's with the power from the OBD 2 DLC (data link connector)or is this a communications problem? The Tech 2 can be powered externally using a power supply and while this is normally used when the Tech 2 is at a console for programming it can also be taken to the vehicle.

It sounds like you got a dick for a tech working on your car and regardless of the Magnuson Moss act once you mess with your own car it is normally up to you to prove that you did not screw it up. Make sure they warranty at least one item while your car is there (break a damn **** for the radio, it doesn't matter) and the warranty claim will initiate a customer satisfaction survey, which is your best tool as a customer since everything the dealership receives is based off of the customer satisfaction index. Nobody seems to realize how powerful of a tool this really is, but this only applies for warranty repairs.

Best of luck to you.
I have a scan gauge that plugs into the obd2 port. It has been there the last 3 times I have taken it in, I just unplug it and never had a problem, now they say it was the problem of them not being able to read the obd2.

They just told me that the Tech 2 could not read due to a loose connection on the port. Yeah it sounds to me like I got a dick of a tech. I though the Magnesuon Moss act said the dealer had to prove that Your mod caused the problem, the oppisite of what your referring to, as that act was to protec the customer, not the dealer.

I am just going to wait till my friend comes in with his tech2 or I'll pull the gauge out and take it to another dealership.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The accelerometer is located under the center console. You'd have to remove ~6 or 8 bolts to get to it. It's been known to go bad as well. It might have failed at the same time you had the exhaust put in...just impecable timing. That's easy to replace, two bolts and a wire harness connector.

If there's someone local, you can try swapping it out with them to see if that's the culprit. That's also where the G meter on your dash gets the data from.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:25 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Domsz06
I though the Magnesuon Moss act said the dealer had to prove that Your mod caused the problem, the oppisite of what your referring to, as that act was to protec the customer, not the dealer.

I am just going to wait till my friend comes in with his tech2 or I'll pull the gauge out and take it to another dealership.
You are correct, but who is really going to lawyer up over something like this? Its easier to pull the scan gauge and go somewhere else. One question, did they warranty anything on that claim? Reason I ask is that if they did anything on this visit, every customer complaint and dealer findings will be reported in the GM VISS for the next dealer to see.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Teching In

I know this is probably far off but I just thought I would throw it out there. When I ran my car with open headers the vibration set off the stabilitrak sensor. Once I put the exhaust back on it was fine. Is it possible the added vibration from the new exhaust is causing a problem? I know that seems unlikely but just a possibility.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Tow it to Seattle and I will get it to fly under the warranty

Sounds like there could be an issue with the OBD2 port connection. Terminal tension is an issue and if the port has had something plugged into it a lot, possibly flexing while being plugged in, the terminals can get spread too far and cause connection issues.

Now whether or not the dealer will cover it is another story,

Steering wheels not centered have caused stabilitrack messages in other Cadillac's I have worked on so it is possible.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:08 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrSpeed
The accelerometer is located under the center console. You'd have to remove ~6 or 8 bolts to get to it. It's been known to go bad as well. It might have failed at the same time you had the exhaust put in...just impecable timing. That's easy to replace, two bolts and a wire harness connector.

If there's someone local, you can try swapping it out with them to see if that's the culprit. That's also where the G meter on your dash gets the data from.
Thanks I'll look into that.

Originally Posted by DMM
You are correct, but who is really going to lawyer up over something like this? Its easier to pull the scan gauge and go somewhere else. One question, did they warranty anything on that claim? Reason I ask is that if they did anything on this visit, every customer complaint and dealer findings will be reported in the GM VISS for the next dealer to see.
I'm pulling the gauge and putting the clock in tonight. and gonna run to the other dealer. No when I was in I didn't have them do any warranty work.

Originally Posted by VforMe
I know this is probably far off but I just thought I would throw it out there. When I ran my car with open headers the vibration set off the stabilitrak sensor. Once I put the exhaust back on it was fine. Is it possible the added vibration from the new exhaust is causing a problem? I know that seems unlikely but just a possibility.
That would suck, because I'm not going back to stock. Also there are 8 others out there with this system that don't have this problem.

Originally Posted by ecotec88fiero
Tow it to Seattle and I will get it to fly under the warranty

Sounds like there could be an issue with the OBD2 port connection. Terminal tension is an issue and if the port has had something plugged into it a lot, possibly flexing while being plugged in, the terminals can get spread too far and cause connection issues.

Now whether or not the dealer will cover it is another story,

Steering wheels not centered have caused stabilitrack messages in other Cadillac's I have worked on so it is possible.
Good to know on the port issue. Since the gauge was in there maybe this is the issue. I'm not gonna run that gauge anymore since I have hptuners to look. Also good to know about the steering wheel. I'm lowering it sat, and align monday, so maybe I'll just take it to the dealer after I get all that done so then they can look into it.

There is another guy with a v local so if they give me fits about the accelermomater I'll just grab his.

Quick Reply: Stabilitrack/dealer help