Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

LT's Q

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT's Q

I am going to buy some pacesetter lt's for the V and wrap them. Any point to get the coated ones if I am going to wrap?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 10-24-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can still get moisture under the wrap which will promote corrosion. The coating will protect much better against corrosion
Old 10-24-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

If i were doing mods all over i would pick up a set of OBX headers and wrap them just like my stainless works headers. i have prodded between a few of the overlaps at the collectors and after 1.5yr they still look rust free, solid, and black(painted them in DEI header paint). paint on the exposed primaries has burned off though

My "redoo" setup
ObX headers->cats->stock 2.5 exhaust-> stock resonator -> muffler delete & 4in tips...

i have heard your shouldn't wrap headers if they are coated in a ceramic.. one or the other... also dont be lazy insulate every component around the LTs with some sort of heat shielding.. common V header problems lazy dudes have... alternator wires arcing .. brake lines charred.. starters fried... wires melted.. rubbing steering linkage... ect...

Last edited by shadyLS6; 10-24-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will be wrapping anything around there as much as I can but why not both coated and wrap?
Old 10-26-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too will be getting these soon so this is an excellent question.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Coated and wrapped would probably be ideal, but a maybe a little overkill. I won't say that I wouldn't do it though. It's just $$$.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

i heard from a shop owner when at a dyno day in jersey that wrapping ceramic coated headers over heats the coating and reduces its life span.. aka the coating will crack... peal..ect..

IMO you gotta do something.. the bay in the V is to cramped for you to install them naked.. plenty of documented cases of the FAIL that follows

yes wrap is a fire hazard if youre lazy... get a garbage bag slice it open, lay it over the motor, cut a hole for the filler neck.. ROCKET SCIENCE
Old 10-27-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wrapped my ceramics....no detrimental effects at this point. Its been almost a year and 5k miles.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
i heard from a shop owner when at a dyno day in jersey that wrapping ceramic coated headers over heats the coating and reduces its life span.. aka the coating will crack... peal..ect..

IMO you gotta do something.. the bay in the V is to cramped for you to install them naked.. plenty of documented cases of the FAIL that follows

yes wrap is a fire hazard if youre lazy... get a garbage bag slice it open, lay it over the motor, cut a hole for the filler neck.. ROCKET SCIENCE
Does spraying the wrap with that coating help with the fire hazard?
Old 10-27-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
I dont really understand this statement...care to explain how header wrap is a fire hazard? And what are you doing with the garbage bag?
Old 10-27-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

I believe he was talking about spilling oil on the wrap and that catching fire.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ahh....I see
Old 10-27-2011, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do not wrap your headers if your car will see rain or snow. It will destroy them. It doesn't matter if they are stainless or ceramic coated. My 1-7/8" OBX "stainless" long tubes were wrapped. It rusted them out. Wrapped ceramic coating will be even worse as it contains aluminum and will carrode even faster.

You figure a stainless header will last 10 years or more. If you wrap them, you could cut that down to 3 years before you get pin holes.

Header wrap is for Race Cars or for cars that do not see moisture.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
Do not wrap your headers if your car will see rain or snow. It will destroy them. It doesn't matter if they are stainless or ceramic coated. My 1-7/8" OBX "stainless" long tubes were wrapped. It rusted them out. Wrapped ceramic coating will be even worse as it contains aluminum and will carrode even faster.

You figure a stainless header will last 10 years or more. If you wrap them, you could cut that down to 3 years before you get pin holes.

Ehh...this is a bit bias. Under normal operation conditions, the headers would be so hot that it would evaporate. The fiberglass wraps, especially when sprayed, do a good job of repelling the moisture anway. If you arent getting them hot enough, this could be true. But I would rather have the headers wrapped and have the piece of mind that my car wont be burning through wires than have to replace the headers a few years early. Not to mention, that most people probably wont have the car long enough to ever have to worry about this.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Strokinit383
Ehh...this is a bit bias. Under normal operation conditions, the headers would be so hot that it would evaporate. The fiberglass wraps, especially when sprayed, do a good job of repelling the moisture anway. If you arent getting them hot enough, this could be true. But I would rather have the headers wrapped and have the piece of mind that my car wont be burning through wires than have to replace the headers a few years early. Not to mention, that most people probably wont have the car long enough to ever have to worry about this.
Nah, not bias. Performance Exhaust is what I do. Its my j o b, and no I don't work at some mom and pop shop. The moisture and heat is what deteriorates its. The spray does little.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Strokinit383
I wrapped my ceramics....no detrimental effects at this point. Its been almost a year and 5k miles.
I guess at this point I just need to know if what everyone is saying could be true (cracking and peeling etc) Not a fun thing to do but has anyone removed the wrap after a good amount of time to check for peeling? Also it rains A LOT here in Seattle so any worries there?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Missed your post got it....thanks
Old 10-28-2011, 07:00 AM
TECH Junkie

What if you don't live in the rust belt? Cars don't rust down here unless you take the paint off them.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nah, not bias. Performance Exhaust is what I do. Its my j o b, and no I don't work at some mom and pop shop. The moisture and heat is what deteriorates its. The spray does little.
Would you like a cookie? I'm not disagreeing that moisture and heat will cause deterioration...I completely agree there. My statement is whether or not the moisture actually stays long enough to have much of an effect before it evaporates. Like I said...I would rather have them wrapped and not have my car burn to the ground and have to replace them a bit sooner than to have them bare.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Nah, not bias. Performance Exhaust is what I do. Its my j o b, and no I don't work at some mom and pop shop.
Whats wrong with working at a mom and pop exhaust / performance shops? You think too highly of yourself!

Quick Reply: LT's Q