Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

weirdest problem with my car yet.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default weirdest problem with my car yet.

So... a while ago I bent the **** out of 2 wheels (taking it soon to get the wheels straightened out when I get my new tires put on... likely in the next few weeks). Keep the added vibration in mind when considering this.

There's a sound that occasionally, and more frequently, as of today, comes from under my center console. Sounds like my exhaust rubbing or hitting on something. Lately, it's getting a lot worse, so I intend on tearing it apart and trying to maneuver things so it hangs a bit lower in that area. I think it's bumping my driveshaft, which could explain the next bit.

My rear tire (which I think might have too much air in it... long story short, i ran over a nail, plugged it, and it has a very small leak, like needs air once every 3 weeks leak... like i said, it'll be replaced in the next few weeks).

Well, what started happening more tonight is it sounds like my right rear wheel hops while just driving normally, and i can occasionally feel feedback in my brake pedal.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your brake rotor, could be warped badly, cracked etc.

Then check your axles
Old 10-25-2011, 06:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Possibly a blown shock.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Twitch, there's a lot of fluid in my rear wheel well, I'm not sure if it was from the rain, but it was spread evenly through the wheelwell, and no other wheewells had it.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jack it up and get your hands dirty. That's really the only way you're going to find out.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure what to look for in this case.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Pull the suspected greasy wheel off and try to turn the brake rotor by hand to check for a warped caliper. It'll be hard to turn at certain points. If you feel feedback in the steering wheel while braking it'll most likely be a front warped caliper. While you're in there it'll be very obvious whether or not the fluid is coming from the shock or somewhere else.

Then slide under the car and inspect the close contacts the exhaust could be making and give it a jiggle with your hand to see what it could easily be hitting.

If all these things check out OK, then it may be back to the drawing board.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In agreement with Bud's statement, but would like to add... Please use jack stands.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, the suspension checked out, however I found I had snapped 2 drive shaft bolts, and the last one was hanging on for dear life. God was on my team this time and I got it fixed it. Bought 3 grade 10.9 bolts from advance and put them in, good as new.

I am worried, however, about one of the holes on the tailshaft assembly part of the transmission.., it honed out about 1/8th of an inch. I tightened the **** out of it and will check it this weekend to ensure its OK.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RADEoN
Well, the suspension checked out, however I found I had snapped 2 drive shaft bolts, and the last one was hanging on for dear life. God was on my team this time and I got it fixed it. Bought 3 grade 10.9 bolts from advance and put them in, good as new.

I am worried, however, about one of the holes on the tailshaft assembly part of the transmission.., it honed out about 1/8th of an inch. I tightened the **** out of it and will check it this weekend to ensure its OK.
Did you use some loctite on those bolts? If not pull them all back out and put some on.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Glad you got it figured out.

And thanks Jenks, I always assume jack stands are a "given."

Quick Reply: weirdest problem with my car yet.